Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a softail for my next harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016 | 05:25 PM
ajcjr
|
Tourer
Default thinking about a softail for my next harley

Last harley i had was an 06 RK Classic, love the bike had it for a while and then sold it to continue racing my car. Im kind of done racing, tired of the days away at the track, sitting around etc...

So i was looking at some touring bikes but i really like the softail (i am going to test ride one, will buy a 16 or 17) and thought about changing it up. Im just concerned about long rides 3 or 4 hours in a day, how detachables look on the bike, as well as some sort of wind protection. I really only ruled out the breakout and was wondering does one handle better than the other, any major pros and cons to one, what does a heritage look like without the bags? i was thinking fat boy may be because last bike had the vintage look, i hear some say the deluxe is a womans bike (whatever) so i am just trying to get some views of softail owners, those who have come from the touring chassis to softail and any other useful info that may help. Also are there any major changes from 16 to 17 models? I have been looking at this site for over a month reading various threads but decided to post these questions up.
Thanks in advance for the help!

AC

Old 11-10-2016 | 05:50 PM
pigfoot63
Tourer

I quit riding in 1994 and just got back in the saddle recently. I purchased a used 03 Road King and rode it for a couple of months. I realized that I was hooked but found the Road King was just a bit to heavy and tall for my 66 year old frame to handle and enjoy.
All of my previous bikes were built myself for me and all were rigid frame. I was not interested in building a ground up bike this late in life so I started looking at the Softail line up. I narrowed it down to the Fatboy low and the Slim S . After riding both the Slim fit me best.

The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016 | 06:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

First, there is no "girl's" bike in the Harley line-up. I suggest you go to your local dealer and test ride a few different models and get the one that "speaks" to you. It is a very indivdual choice. There is plenty of aftermarket support to make whichever one you buy "yours." I got mine for that classic chopper look. I have done light touring (6-7 hour days) on it with a roll bag and throw over saddle bags that come off in 15 minutes. But, all that said, there are better softails for touring.

The following 2 users liked this post by QC:
ajcjr (11-10-2016), RiverB (11-11-2016)
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:14 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

If handling is a concern you may want to pass on a softail. They really don't compare to conventional shocks like on your road king. More looks than performance, there is a reason they call them sloptails.

Old 11-10-2016 | 07:25 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

I've had an FXD, I've had an FLHS, my wife has an XL, I've ridden quite a few others of buds, and I love love LOVE my current FXSTS.

I'm 6'5"....and I have a bad lower back. You sit IN a softail, unlike the other 3 chassis where you sit higher ON them. A softail is more like cruising down the road in a lazy boy recliner chair...oh so comfy.

I don't use windshields so I have no comment there.
I prefer throwover floppy leather saddlebags over hard bags...but that's a riders preference. I just like the more classic look. On my FLHS I took off the hard bags and had floppy leather throwovers. I removed the windshield and gave that way.

But ride wise...well, like I said, my current ride is my favorite of all. It's also still fine with my wife on the back.

As for "sloptails"...depends on your tires and what shocks you have under there, just like any other Harley chassis type. Yeah if you have floorboards you'll scrape them on the pavement easy leaning in turns...but so what..they scrape. I don't have floorboards on mine but I know others who do and, they just mind. My FXD and FLH...I scraped the **** out of the lower exhaust pipe...you could cut paper on the lower trailing edge of it I had them so worn down. big deal. But yeah, a softail is more of a "lazy cruising" bike, it's not a sport bike. If I wanted a harder sport type, I'd have kept my FXD or I'll hop on my wifes Sporty 1200.

The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:36 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

The Fat Boy is basically a Heritage without the bags.

I think Softails are the most "ridable" bikes in the Harley line. My Fat Boy is beautifully balanced and very easy to handle on the Freeways or around town.

Old 11-10-2016 | 08:19 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Cool

Can't go wrong with a Deluxe. Woman's bike? Ask all the guys on the forum that ride one. I think they'll disagree.
As far as the Sloptail comment, there's only one other person I've heard use that term on here and he's frustrated because he's hung like a light switch.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sleeko:
2goldens (11-17-2016), ajcjr (11-10-2016), Uncle G. (11-14-2016)
Old 11-10-2016 | 09:15 PM
RedHogz
Tourer

Depends if you want a 'bar hopper' or an weekend highway cruiser. My Heritage will run with the baggers all day long and have a comfy run doing so. Granted, I have a gel seat and drivers backrest but once I settle in and set the manual cruise I'm good until either fuel or bladder gives out.......usually the latter..... The Custom below is best for day trips.

Last edited by RedHogz; 11-10-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2016 | 09:48 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

To me, a softail is a pretty versatile bike. Strip the windshield, it's a good 'round town bar hopper, windscreen and bags it's a decent short to medium tourer. Softails are just what they are - slow handling and can't be pushed much past their comfort level in corners. Compared to Sporty/Dyna's- they're pigs. Compared to the big touring bikes, they're pretty easily balanced with a low center of gravity. Road Kings are also versatile. IMO, nothing looks better than a King without a windshield. I do 3-4 hrs on my Fatboy sans windscreen without an issue. Ready for long stop after 6 though.

Visit a few dealers, sit on/test ride different models, see what you like/what fits you.

Old 11-10-2016 | 10:32 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior

What's wrong with a breakout

Quick Reply: thinking about a softail for my next harley