Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a softail for my next harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016 | 05:20 PM
ajcjr
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the advice. I think all the softails look cool. I am definitely going to test drive them and look for a 16 leftover. Anything different on the 16s to 17s?

Thanks again for all the input, beautiful bikes everyone has!!

Old 11-14-2016 | 05:33 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Thanks for all the advice. I think all the softails look cool. I am definitely going to test drive them and look for a 16 leftover. Anything different on the 16s to 17s?

Thanks again for all the input, beautiful bikes everyone has!!
No difference between the 16 and 17 in the Softail line as far as im aware. You will not regret going the Softail route. I loved all my Softails that ive owned over the years. My Favorites were my 2009 Night train , 2012 Fatboy Lo and my current ride a 2016 Fatboy. Softails have such an amazing IN the bike comfortable searing position that is unmatched. And there sexy as hell.. Softails by far are my favorite Harley.

The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016 | 12:16 PM
rquest
Road Master

For years I wanted a softail before I got mine. (even had a hard tail once) The thing I like the most about them is how clean they are, "a perfect obtuse triangle." (excuse my pixelated picture)

Attached Thumbnails thinking about a softail for my next harley-obtuse.jpg  
ajcjr (11-15-2016)
Old 11-16-2016 | 07:36 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

Three or four hours a day is nothing. A Heritage is probably the best package for you. I'm almost 70 years old and my '09' Heritage is the easiest to handle bike I've had in a long time. Planning on riding it for a few more years for sure.

Old 11-19-2016 | 11:10 AM
alexknight2000
Intermediate
Default What adjustments

What adjustments have you done as would be interested in seeing if I could use the information.

regards

Alex

Originally Posted by LXT
. I was tired of dragging boards on mine so I did a lil customizing (myself) & I can hit the twisties as well as any cruiser out there - so as far as the sloptail comment nutpump - you don't have a clue!!!

OP you cant go wrong with any bike in the softail line up or an HD in general!

Old 11-20-2016 | 08:17 AM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by alexknight2000
What adjustments have you done as would be interested in seeing if I could use the information.

regards

Alex

Alex,

All I did was put on a set of forwards (acutronix), they`re not that expensive but....fitment issues & adding on to them can be a PITA - I did not have these problems.

The problem with forwards is that you usually have to remove the crash bar, what I did was make a set of extensions coming off the front motor bolt, the kickstand side is a trial by error due to the weld for the kickstand spring.

Just bought some small flat steel already pre drilled/holed at lowes, primer & black paint hides it nice, this was used to mount the crash bar to as now the floorboards are gone.

I have the mustache crash bar so the space to get to the shifter / brake pedal leaves one making adjustments on those but no big deal - to get as much foot rest as possible I bought a set of 3-1/2 inch male end adapters & installed kuryakyns ISO peg mini floorboards (I think that's what their called) with stirrups.

Ill try & get some pics up - not sure how to do it?, I did this on my 02 Heritage so not sure what your set up is like. The only bad thing is with my set up using the mustache crash bar - to get to the shifter or brake pedal if you like wearing a thick soled boot you might have an issue getting between the crash bar & shift/brake pedals. other wise if you have standard crashes - no problem.

to me it was a trade off, I wanted comfort (stretch out & relax) & wanted to be able to ride through a turn/bend without dragging. Two up hitting the curves would scare the hell outta my wife - Now, No problems & I can lean hard - love it!

Keep in mind as with all things HD related, to attain this will cost a chunk, I went with the Acutronix due to them being a better price, you`ll hear buy this one or that - but honestly you can rack up some money in name brand & it all performs pretty much the same!

Good Luck & Ill try to get some pics up

alexknight2000 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016 | 10:04 AM
alexknight2000
Intermediate
Default forward controls

Thanks for the write up appreciated. If you can get photos that would be great as sounds like this could be exactly what I want. Alex
Originally Posted by LXT
Alex,

All I did was put on a set of forwards (acutronix), they`re not that expensive but....fitment issues & adding on to them can be a PITA - I did not have these problems.

The problem with forwards is that you usually have to remove the crash bar, what I did was make a set of extensions coming off the front motor bolt, the kickstand side is a trial by error due to the weld for the kickstand spring.

Keep in mind as with all things HD related, to attain this will cost a chunk, I went with the Acutronix due to them being a better price, you`ll hear buy this one or that - but honestly you can rack up some money in name brand & it all performs pretty much the same!

Good Luck & Ill try to get some pics up

Old 11-20-2016 | 10:21 AM
pigfoot63
Tourer
Default Slim with a few changes.

Old 11-20-2016 | 03:15 PM
09fitz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pigfoot63
Looks good. I like those Slims.