Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a softail for my next harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016 | 01:02 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Anytime I see a post that includes the word sloptail, I have to shake my head because that person is just parroting some bullshit they read somewhere with no actual experience.

Of all the bikes I have ridden, and there have been many, my Heritage is my favorite. The ergonomics fit me perfectly. It is very versatile. The low center of gravity makes parking lot maneuvers a breeze.

The stock shocks suck and some of the aftermarket ones do as well. I went through a few and I finally ended up with a set of Works Performance light duty that improved things immensely. I cranked them up a bit for a slightly higher ride and that eliminated the scraping as well as improved the feel going around curves.

I have owned bikes that have done some things better than my Heritage but never one that did everything better.

I am 5'9" with and wear pants with a 29" inseam. The handlebar height and seat height are great. I usually keep the handlebars rolled slightly forward which helps with some medical problems I have.

I tried a new 2017 Street Glide recently. Suspension was much better than my old Heritage and there was better wind protection. I kind of laughed because there was almost too much wind protection and gave the sensation of riding in a car. I didn't like how it felt in a parking lot. It didn't feel top heavy like the old touring bikes, but it did feel tall. I didn't like what seemed like countless buttons on both sides of the handlebars with symbols that were so hard to decipher that they may as well have been Egyptian hieroglyphics. I felt like an idiot because I had a hard time figuring out how to start the bike, but that is probably because I am used to old bikes and more of a failing on my part. I also don't care for radios on a bike, but I could see the value of getting one with the GPS.

It all comes down to personal preferences and a quick test ride is not going to tell you what you need to know before handing over over twenty thousand dollars. The best thing is to rent a bike for the weekend, and then the next weekend, rent a different model, and continue until you have tried around half a dozen models.

I honestly never thought I would end up on a Heritage. I really had in mind an Evo powered Softail Custom but I found a deal that was good enough that if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it for more money than I paid.

My experience with bikes with floorboards was with Electra Glides and Tour Glides, neither of which I liked. That is partly why I had sought after a Softail Custom since it has forward controls like I was used to. So, what ended up being great for me was not what I expected.

The 2018 or 2019 Softails will be getting the M8 engine. The Street Glide I rode had an M8. I was really impressed with that engine.

Last edited by Prot; 11-12-2016 at 01:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Prot:
ajcjr (11-14-2016), LXT (11-12-2016), Uncle G. (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016 | 06:56 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LXT
Dude I am at a loss with you, Yama or Harley.....? Hmmm ok! So you are on an HD forum & most posts of yours I read are negative in regard to HD.

Clearly you are either trolling, misinformed an Idiot or just a combination of all three!
You noticed that too huh? Yup, she just trolls here.

The following users liked this post:
LXT (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016 | 01:17 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
Anytime I see a post that includes the word sloptail, I have to shake my head because that person is just parroting some bullshit they read somewhere with no actual experience.

Of all the bikes I have ridden, and there have been many, my Heritage is my favorite. The ergonomics fit me perfectly. It is very versatile. The low center of gravity makes parking lot maneuvers a breeze.

The stock shocks suck and some of the aftermarket ones do as well. I went through a few and I finally ended up with a set of Works Performance light duty that improved things immensely. I cranked them up a bit for a slightly higher ride and that eliminated the scraping as well as improved the feel going around curves.

I have owned bikes that have done some things better than my Heritage but never one that did everything better.

I am 5'9" with and wear pants with a 29" inseam. The handlebar height and seat height are great. I usually keep the handlebars rolled slightly forward which helps with some medical problems I have.

I tried a new 2017 Street Glide recently. Suspension was much better than my old Heritage and there was better wind protection. I kind of laughed because there was almost too much wind protection and gave the sensation of riding in a car. I didn't like how it felt in a parking lot. It didn't feel top heavy like the old touring bikes, but it did feel tall. I didn't like what seemed like countless buttons on both sides of the handlebars with symbols that were so hard to decipher that they may as well have been Egyptian hieroglyphics. I felt like an idiot because I had a hard time figuring out how to start the bike, but that is probably because I am used to old bikes and more of a failing on my part. I also don't care for radios on a bike, but I could see the value of getting one with the GPS.

It all comes down to personal preferences and a quick test ride is not going to tell you what you need to know before handing over over twenty thousand dollars. The best thing is to rent a bike for the weekend, and then the next weekend, rent a different model, and continue until you have tried around half a dozen models.

I honestly never thought I would end up on a Heritage. I really had in mind an Evo powered Softail Custom but I found a deal that was good enough that if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it for more money than I paid.

My experience with bikes with floorboards was with Electra Glides and Tour Glides, neither of which I liked. That is partly why I had sought after a Softail Custom since it has forward controls like I was used to. So, what ended up being great for me was not what I expected.

The 2018 or 2019 Softails will be getting the M8 engine. The Street Glide I rode had an M8. I was really impressed with that engine.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I bought mine 23 years ago, and it still puts a smile on my face when I see it in the garage, or when I ride it down the road.

ajcjr (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016 | 01:18 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sleeko
Can't go wrong with a Deluxe. Woman's bike? Ask all the guys on the forum that ride one. I think they'll disagree.
As far as the Sloptail comment, there's only one other person I've heard use that term on here and he's frustrated because he's hung like a light switch.
Thanks for saving me from having to type the same thing.

Sleeko (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016 | 01:23 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain

My Heritage without bags, in the tag line below. I switch between saddlebags on and off fairly often. I'm biased, but I like Heritages in solo mode!

Old 11-14-2016 | 01:26 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MysticTraveler
My Heritage without bags, in the tag line below. I switch between saddlebags on and off fairly often. I'm biased, but I like Heritages in solo mode!
Beautiful two tone

Old 11-14-2016 | 01:31 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1plumr1

What's wrong with a breakout

They intimidate people who don't have one !

If you can't spend a day on a Breakout, there's sumthin wrong with your *** !

Old 11-14-2016 | 01:41 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

look at that seat compared to mine, that has no back support compared to mine, even without the backrest.

Attached Thumbnails thinking about a softail for my next harley-fatty.jpeg  
Old 11-14-2016 | 01:56 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Freak Show
look at that seat compared to mine, that has no back support compared to mine, even without the backrest.
With the stock dragbars on the Breakout (not those on the CVO) there's no use of a backrest. And the lower back support of the seat would only be needed to prevent you from sliding onto the fender when twisting the throttle. It's about riding a bike, no relaxation lounger

Old 11-14-2016 | 01:59 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior

I'm not sure I could ride anything BUT a Softail from here on out.

Quick Reply: thinking about a softail for my next harley