Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a softail for my next harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016 | 05:05 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

The only thing as far as suspension on the softail is to adjust it. The suspension adjustment is a PITA but the ride is well worth it. The factory setting is softest spring preload and really needs to be adjusted to the load that will be riding it.

Old 11-11-2016 | 06:04 PM
ajcjr
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
The only thing as far as suspension on the softail is to adjust it. The suspension adjustment is a PITA but the ride is well worth it. The factory setting is softest spring preload and really needs to be adjusted to the load that will be riding it.
can a dealership do that or is it like setting up sag on a bike?

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:26 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ajcjr
can a dealership do that or is it like setting up sag on a bike?
It's really easy. I can adjust mine from solo to 2 up in about 2 minutes.

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:31 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

The PITA part is getting a wrench on the large locknut (at least it is on my deluxe as there is not a whole lot of space between the frame and the can) and then you need a softail shock spanner to turn the can. If you search the forums you will find a good how-to post on exactly what you need, it may be on the V-Twin forums if not here. The how-to gives rough estimates as far as how many turns out for what weights.

Old 11-11-2016 | 08:20 PM
RiverB
Tourer

Invest in a couple of days' rental and use it like you'll really be using it. In my case, that's mountain passes, flat-out on the gunbarrel, two-up weekends, and grocery shopping. Road King beat the pants off everything else, but that's me. Now I put maybe 200 miles a month on my cage.

I still covet, and will have, a Heritage Softail, but they ain't no Road King, which is easily customized to the Heritage style.

Old 11-11-2016 | 08:23 PM
swifty
Road Captain

To the op... I feel bikes are a time and place.... In short the right bike will find you.. test ride as many bikes as you can. She will find you!!!

The following users liked this post:
RiverB (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 09:27 PM
ajcjr
|
Tourer

Thanks when i bought my Rk i didnt test drive it, was my first harley just jumped on it and never looked back.

RiverB (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 09:31 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by RiverB
but they ain't no Road King
Well for me, like others here on the Softail forum, that's a good thing. Not tippy, no hipPy HiPpY shake at a stop light, style for days, and a beautiful, comfortable ride.

RiverB (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 09:31 PM
RiverB
Tourer

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Thanks when i bought my Rk i didnt test drive it, was my first harley just jumped on it and never looked back.
It's the do-everything-well model. Maybe not the best at anything, but as easy as it is to drop them, they're just as easy to pick back up by yourself. Ask me how I know. :-)

Old 11-11-2016 | 09:34 PM
RiverB
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sleeko
Well for me, like others here on the Softail forum, that's a good thing. Not tippy, no hipPy HiPpY shake at a stop light, style for days, and a beautiful, comfortable ride.
Don't take me wrong - I love them and will have one. Not trashing them at all. Just depends what you need a bike to be able to do, especially if you can only have one.

Quick Reply: thinking about a softail for my next harley