Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a softail for my next harley

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016 | 11:35 PM
Pbass6811
Stage IV

Just bought my first Harley, and I decided to go with the one that I've always wanted-a Heritage Softail. The wife and I wanted something we could hop on and do a day trip or a weekend getaway. It, pretty much, came down to a Street Glide Special and a Heritage Softail(yeah, I know that a Road King is probably slightly more comparable to a Heritage than a SGS, but, you know...). I got to spend some time on a buddy's SGS, and there were definitely some pros and cons.

SGS pros-
-big motor
-comfy seat
-nice fairing WITH a decent sound system
-lockable bags

SGS cons-
-weighs a ton
-costs a ton
-although I like the security the hard bags provide, I'm just not a fan of the look.

Heritage pros-
-big enough motor
-comfy seat
-decent windshield
-costs less
-weighs less
-looks nostalgic and sexy with the wide white walls

Heritage cons-
-no radio
-saddlebags aren't very secure

Ultimately, 95% of the riding that the bike is going to see is me riding back and forth to work, or around town with my buds. Don't need the extra weight for that. The Heritage covers almost all the bases...

Last edited by Pbass6811; 11-10-2016 at 11:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajcjr (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 06:58 AM
ajcjr
|
Tourer

thanks for the replies, nothing is wrong with the breakout, looks cool and if i had two bikes it would be a definite one in the stable.

Old 11-11-2016 | 09:35 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I had a Road King Classic for the last 7 years, just sold it this past Summer and I'm back on a FatBoy. I loved the RK but I never used the windscreen and rarely used the bags.

I find my FatBoy just as comfortable and it looks better. The only real thing I missed from the RK was the highway pegs, so I just installed an engine guard and added the pegs to the FatBoy. I really don't miss the RK

Old 11-11-2016 | 10:10 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I moved from the old FXS models to a Heritage Softail in '89.... loved it!

I liked the FLH front end, floorboards, and detachable windshield (off around town/on for trips).

I upgraded from '89 EVO to '03 Twin-cam Heritage in 2003. Still loved the bike!

I have taken many long trips on both bikes, quite comfortably.....

In '12 I bought a Limited. I was taking trips with my wife and while she liked the Heritage, she LOVES the Limited.... I have to admit that on multi-day, long rides, I've grown to like the full fairing, touring seat position, and the radio.. only downside, it IS a heavy bike! Don't feel it riding so much, but certainly when pushing it around...

I couldn't bring my self to sell the '03 Heritage (as planned) after buying the '12 Limited. They are different bikes, different feels, both very nice...

I love them both.....

I had no problem when the Heritage was my only bike.... would do it again if I had to choose between the two.....

Good luck with your decision.....

ajcjr (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 10:51 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
If handling is a concern you may want to pass on a softail. They really don't compare to conventional shocks like on your road king. More looks than performance, there is a reason they call them sloptails.
what are you talking about. every bike i've ever owned has had conventional shocks and the softail is the best bike i've ever ridden..you know what they say about opinion's. love my fatboy lo

Attached Thumbnails thinking about a softail for my next harley-fatty.jpeg  
Old 11-11-2016 | 11:09 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Last harley i had was an 06 RK Classic, love the bike had it for a while and then sold it to continue racing my car. Im kind of done racing, tired of the days away at the track, sitting around etc...

So i was looking at some touring bikes but i really like the softail (i am going to test ride one, will buy a 16 or 17) and thought about changing it up. Im just concerned about long rides 3 or 4 hours in a day, how detachables look on the bike, as well as some sort of wind protection. I really only ruled out the breakout and was wondering does one handle better than the other, any major pros and cons to one, what does a heritage look like without the bags? i was thinking fat boy may be because last bike had the vintage look, i hear some say the deluxe is a womans bike (whatever) so i am just trying to get some views of softail owners, those who have come from the touring chassis to softail and any other useful info that may help. Also are there any major changes from 16 to 17 models? I have been looking at this site for over a month reading various threads but decided to post these questions up.
Thanks in advance for the help!

AC
Here's what a Heritage looks like without bags:

If you're concerned about "long rides" on the Heritage - don't be. I bought the Heritage shown above [a 2012] from a Miami, FL dealer. I placed a deposit and had a "cancellable" contract subject to my inspection and test ride. I flew into FL from NY and road back in 2 days [1,500 miles]. The photo does not show it, but the bike came with a detachable windshield, which was indispensable for this ride. The only thing I missed during the ride home was "cruise control" [like I have on my Ultra]. Fortunately, I had anticipated that being a problem and brought some $10 device called a "wrist rest" or some such thing - problem solved. The Softail Deluxe is an awesome bike. And BTW, the Softail has the same 103 engine that my '14 Ultra has. At approx. 300 lbs lighter, there is no lack of peppiness.

ajcjr (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 12:10 PM
09fitz
Road Captain

My Heritage without bags:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1478887789

Attached Thumbnails thinking about a softail for my next harley-dsc01135.jpg  
ajcjr (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 12:45 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09fitz
love that bike so much better without the bags.. beautiful bike!

Old 11-11-2016 | 03:52 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member

A heritage without bags is basically a deluxe. Lolly pop turn signals and a different dash is about it. Luv the softail.

ajcjr (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 04:35 PM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
If handling is a concern you may want to pass on a softail. They really don't compare to conventional shocks like on your road king. More looks than performance, there is a reason they call them sloptails.
Dude I am at a loss with you, Yama or Harley.....? Hmmm ok! So you are on an HD forum & most posts of yours I read are negative in regard to HD.

Clearly you are either trolling, misinformed an Idiot or just a combination of all three! The softail line up is ef in awesome in all ways & like all Harleys a little time spent tuning the motor / suspension & you have a damn good machine. I was tired of dragging boards on mine so I did a lil customizing (myself) & I can hit the twisties as well as any cruiser out there - so as far as the sloptail comment nutpump - you don't have a clue!!!

OP you cant go wrong with any bike in the softail line up or an HD in general!

Quick Reply: thinking about a softail for my next harley