Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST(B)I Build With EFI Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM
FatSpokes
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXST(B)I Build With EFI Questions?

To start off, I'm a teenager from Indy with an '03 FXSTI that i purchased as a theft recovery. When i bought it, it was stripped of its engine covers, had some oddball parts thrown at it, and left for dead. After about a year and a half i have finally collected most of the parts and motivation to get it back together. I have decided since i will have it this far apart, I am blacking out the engine to replicate a NightTrain. As it is coming together I've been preparing to get it running for t he first time and I have come to realize that I may have a problem getting my used ECM working on my bike as it is locked with the VIN. Has anyone found a tried and true way of unlocking the ECM or do i have to take it to the dealer? It is the 2003 Delphi system. Will this ECM even work? Can it be reflashed?
I am very pro fuel injection, but I do not want to waste 500$ on a new ECM from HD that MIGHT work, so I have also been thinking of cost and tuning benefits of changing it to a mikuni. Opinions? Anyone with experience doing this swap? I would much prefer the EFI, but if i could save myself money and troubles, i would consider a Mikuni. Thanks, -Noah

Attached Thumbnails FXST(B)I Build With EFI Questions?-image1.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Get to be friends with the local service manager at your HD shop about the marriage of the ECM to the bike. You'll be in it much deeper than 500 if you convert to carb.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:40 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

You will have to bring the bike to the dealer with the ECM installed on it before they will even think about flashing it. I have heard of dealers being able to flash a used ECM to a different bike. The one I know of was flashed from a street glide to a road king. As long as the other marriage components on the bike have the same VIN as what you are trying to flash the ECM to, you should be ok. (In newer bike's case: ECM,BCM, Speedometer and Security module all marry with the VIN)

I'm not sure what devices the 2003 use.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Buy a Thundermax ECM and be done with it.