Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Breakout - Test to see if has a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CVPPORTRAITS
so, should it be ok to ride with this?
The question seems illogical. You have stated the bike has a bunch of decel pop....So no the current tune is not good. It really does not matter what is in there now...its not working. Maybe you are looking for someone to tell you its fine that way?

Seems odd V&H does not sell additional licenses for its tuner? I know PV does.

Edit: Went to V&H site and this is correct they do not sell additional licenses for the fuel pack. Ughhhh! Not sure why you kept it? The new owner of your old bike could probably benefit from having it.

Last edited by HenryT; 10-12-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by CVPPORTRAITS
so, should it be ok to ride with this?
Originally Posted by HenryT
The question seems illogical. You have stated the bike has a bunch of decel pop....So no the current tune is not good. It really does not matter what is in there now...its not working. Maybe you are looking for someone to tell you its fine that way?
I agree with HenryT...... I'd get another FP3, flash a new tune and get rid of that HD download, the bike will run SO much better and cooler!!! But that's JMO....

Last edited by Rocker B; 10-12-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:29 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldn't keep the canned HD map but get a proper tune. My bike was set up with the HD map, too, after it got the stage 1 'cause I only got Harley's SEPST tuner. I had a lot of decel popping and the bike ran far too lean. Even after I installed SE204 cams and uploaded the corresponding HD map the bike still ran lean. In my case a proper dyno tune took care of it.

So, long story short I agree with Rocker and Henry....get a proper tune, either way.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I totally agree with previous members, get a good dyno tune, it's worth doing. After that your bike will run better, stronger, smoother, cooler, more mpg and with no decel popping. Do you really think you can ask more than this?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM
CVPPORTRAITS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
I totally agree with previous members, get a good dyno tune, it's worth doing. After that your bike will run better, stronger, smoother, cooler, more mpg and with no decel popping. Do you really think you can ask more than this?
Thanks everyone, that now tells me what I need to know, which is to buy another FP3 - (and I kept the old one because I was unaware I couldn't use it on new bike, and it was expensive!) - it was a trade in to a dealer, so they wouldnt have given me any more money for my trade in with the FP3.

now, buying a new FP3 and fixing it to run better, cooler, etc. I agree and that's what I needed to know!

as far as a dyno tune however... (I grew up in a mechanic shop, not bikes,but cars) - and I will never ever EVER allow anything of mine to be put on a dyno, EVER. - they rev the living **** out of the vehicle on the dyno... hard. really hard... and I would never ever rev my bike, or car like that... so in that, I think the FP3 is a genius thing to get a tune without hammering your engine to do it.

Now, I know a lot of people will say "I did the dyno and mine's fine" - well, fine now, and how much life you can get out of it later are two different things, even though the redline is X, doesn't mean it's healthy to rev the hell out of it to redline in all gears and hold it there like they do on a dyno... it's so damn insanely hard on the engine.

but, thank you to all the members who helped here, it did in fact give me the info I needed, in that the harley download isn't great, and I need a new FP3. and the popping isn't supposed to be there. - so I'll get that handled with a new FP3.

thanks all and be safe~
Bill