Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One day old FLS w/ yellow spot on heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 298 Posts
Default One day old FLS w/ yellow spot on heat shield

Hi everyone - It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I read this forum often.

I traded in my 2015 Forty-Eight yesterday for a brand new '17 Softail Slim. It's awesome, I love it, it runs great... But while putting the bike in the garage today, I noticed that there is a yellowed spot about the size of a quarter on one of the stock head shields covering the pipe that's out of the front cylinder; the spot is maybe 1"-2" from where the muffler slips into the pipe. I haven't noticed any backfiring or popping on decel... This is my first Softail, and it seems to be running just fine. The bike had 7 miles when I bought it, and now it has maybe 55-60. The bike is 100% stock.

I have 3 theories:

1) Bad chrome job on the heat shield.
2) The shield may actually be touching the pipe.
3) Cracked pipe.

But the bike only had 7 miles when I bought it... yesterday. I doubt that even if there was a problem with the pipe, that the heat shield would yellow this quickly. I called my dealership, and they said to bring it down so they could look at it, but I won't have the time to do it until Sunday.

Any suggestions? Also... should I not ride it until I take it to the dealer?

Thanks!

Buzz

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

It's running the EPA mandated tune on the motor. That's what got the pipe a little hot and yellowed the shield. Take it to the Dealer, you've got two years.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
It's running the EPA mandated tune on the motor. That's what got the pipe a little hot and yellowed the shield. Take it to the Dealer, you've got two years.
I thought about this, but I can't believe that would cause yellowing in 24 hours.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

If the engine is running 100% stock, then the dealer would tell you that it is normal.

If there is an aftermarket tuner and something happens to the engine, the dealer would be able to deny the warranty based on the aftermarket tuner being installed.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:29 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven
I thought about this, but I can't believe that would cause yellowing in 24 hours.
The EPA tune can mar the heat shields in just a few minutes or hours. Buy a set of X-EIDS from www.nightrider.com and get them installed before you get the shield replaced.

The following users liked this post:
Ludwig von Buzzthoven (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The EPA tune can mar the heat shields in just a few minutes or hours. Buy a set of X-EIDS from www.nightrider.com and get them installed before you get the shield replaced.
Thanks. I was really hoping not to have to mess with any sort of fuel management system until I had a full riding season with the bike, and had enough time to decide whether or not I wanted new pipes on the bike or a Stage 1 upgrade.

I was pretty cavalier with what I upgraded on my Sporty (i.e., I really wasn't concerned with possibly voiding the warranty or not), but I'm a little leery about the Slim. Why? No idea.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

First time I installed drag pipes on a bike, I had it too lean. They turned yellow, then blue in seconds. Granted, that was the pipes, not heat shields... But, still.

I would agree with others, get some kind of device to enrich your bike before getting the heat shield replaced or you will probably end up with a yellow spot in the same place.

Or, go with black heat shields/black pipes.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm gonna say it's a problem with the chrome and the chrome is thin in that spot and you're seeing the under plating. Since its new, take it back to the dealer. There's about a 99% chance they'll replace it, no questions asked..

The following users liked this post:
Ludwig von Buzzthoven (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior

Thanks to everyone so far. I'm taking the bike in on Sunday for them to look at it.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Oh, and ride the Fugger...... don't bat an eye. Warranty is your friend.

Quick Reply: One day old FLS w/ yellow spot on heat shield