Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30/70 Pulleys - Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016 | 04:16 PM
Berick
|
Road Captain
Default 30/70 Pulleys - Question

Those of you who have done the 30/70 upgrade on a late model Softail...

I am about 1/2 way through the thread La Dog has in his thread and I see a lot of mention about adjusting the speed on the Power Vision (which I have).

My question is.... If I pay an Indy to do the 30/70 pulley swap, will I still be able to ride my bike home from the shop and perform the changes needed on the Power Vision or is my bikes ECM going to make the bike unrideable until I make those adjustments?

I'm hoping that what I have read is just for speedo calibration and that this little endeavor does not mess with the ECM performance-wise...... allowing me to ride the bike with the new pulleys without worry of some kind of shut-down or limp mode.

Old 10-02-2016 | 04:37 PM
gpp
Tourer

I rode mine without calibrating the speedometer for a week before I hade a chance to calibrate it with no problem.its a 2016 heritage.i just put a 70 tooth rear on it and increased the rpm about 300 at 60 mph.im not sure but find out if you have to change the belt on that combo.

Old 10-02-2016 | 04:43 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Berick
Those of you who have done the 30/70 upgrade on a late model Softail...

I am about 1/2 way through the thread La Dog has in his thread and I see a lot of mention about adjusting the speed on the Power Vision (which I have).

My question is.... If I pay an Indy to do the 30/70 pulley swap, will I still be able to ride my bike home from the shop and perform the changes needed on the Power Vision or is my bikes ECM going to make the bike unrideable until I make those adjustments?

I'm hoping that what I have read is just for speedo calibration and that this little endeavor does not mess with the ECM performance-wise...... allowing me to ride the bike with the new pulleys without worry of some kind of shut-down or limp mode.
Yes, you can ride it, the speedo/odometer will just be off some, until you make the change......

Old 10-02-2016 | 06:22 PM
Berick
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Yes, you can ride it, the speedo/odometer will just be off some, until you make the change......
Excellent! Thank you.

I wish there were a few Fatboys in that thread. Just read over 700+ posts but most of the material in that thread is all for Breakouts with a few Rockers.

Old 10-03-2016 | 10:56 AM
Br125
Tourer

I've put about 3000mi on since I swapped my pulleys.. not planning on purchasing anything to recalibrate the speedo. Other than being off by a few mph, there are no other issues.

Old 10-03-2016 | 11:19 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Br125
I've put about 3000mi on since I swapped my pulleys.. not planning on purchasing anything to recalibrate the speedo. Other than being off by a few mph, there are no other issues.
Only thing of you decide to sell or trade the bike and you're asked to state the correct mileage it might turn out to be an issue as the odometer will show more miles than the bike has. But as long as you don't state the bike has less than the logged mileage and you're fine with a potentially lower price that might be fine .

As the amount the speedo/odometer is off is 13% when going from 32/66 to 30/70 at least I would consider this significant...

Old 10-03-2016 | 11:29 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Excellent! Thank you.

I wish there were a few Fatboys in that thread. Just read over 700+ posts but most of the material in that thread is all for Breakouts with a few Rockers.
I did the 30/70 mod on my Slim, also put a Crossbones rear wheel and 200mm. Same size rear tire as the newer Fatboy and I run a PowerVision, if you need help with the speedometer calibration shoot me a pm. I have mine within 1 mph @ 80 according to my gps

Old 10-03-2016 | 11:43 AM
Berick
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLS103
I did the 30/70 mod on my Slim, also put a Crossbones rear wheel and 200mm. Same size rear tire as the newer Fatboy and I run a PowerVision, if you need help with the speedometer calibration shoot me a pm. I have mine within 1 mph @ 80 according to my gps
Good to know FLS. I found a post in that huge thread regarding calibrating the VSS.... hopefully that works for me as I printed it out. I don't suppose you found or used a decent looking 70T HD rear pulley and know the part number off-hand? That seems to be the only thing left on my shopping list.

Old 10-03-2016 | 01:55 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Good to know FLS. I found a post in that huge thread regarding calibrating the VSS.... hopefully that works for me as I printed it out. I don't suppose you found or used a decent looking 70T HD rear pulley and know the part number off-hand? That seems to be the only thing left on my shopping list.
I got lucky and found one for $75 on eBay that was a take off and had very low miles. Guy was cleaning out his garage and had a lot of parts listed. Look on LA Dogs thread and it will list the pullies that will work for the upgrade (option #4) just under the rpm/mph chart for 30/70. I used this: HD part # 40217-04, cast part # 40117-00 and a .125" spacer.

Old 10-03-2016 | 02:23 PM
Br125
Tourer

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Only thing of you decide to sell or trade the bike and you're asked to state the correct mileage it might turn out to be an issue as the odometer will show more miles than the bike has. But as long as you don't state the bike has less than the logged mileage and you're fine with a potentially lower price that might be fine .

As the amount the speedo/odometer is off is 13% when going from 32/66 to 30/70 at least I would consider this significant...
I have accepted that possibility. Unfortunately, the SE pro tuner doesn't allow for the change and I don't want to purchase another tuner that will effectively be a paper weight aside from the speedo calibration. If a take a few hundred less for the bike when I sell it, I'll have saved that from not buying a tuner that I won't use.

I changed the gearing on my previous bike and I don't think that my selling price was affected by the extra miles on the odometer

Quick Reply: 30/70 Pulleys - Question