Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30/70 Pulleys - Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016 | 03:24 PM
Berick
|
Road Captain

lol..... I called the HD dealership here in Edmonton and they said they wouldn't do the work but instead told me to call a small Indy shop in Edmonton who flat out refused to do the work. He said that 30/70 setup had been done in the past and he stopped doing it because it ate up belts. What the hell?

Old 10-03-2016 | 03:34 PM
Br125
Tourer

Have you considered doing the work yourself? I'm not sure that I could have justified the cost vs. gain of the drive pulley swap while paying labor rates for someone else to do the work.

Old 10-03-2016 | 04:48 PM
Berick
|
Road Captain

I have no place to do the work and I really did not want to dig into the primary. I have a few bucks allowed to me right now and this upgrade seemed about perfect..... especially with a 13% gain in torque. I notice the pulley thread was started just this year so I'm wondering if what that Indy shop said has any value. Guys here haven't tried it out for too long yet.... what if it is hard on drive-belts? That shop has been in business for quite awhile here in Edmonton.

Old 10-03-2016 | 07:15 PM
RadarRat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Berick
I have no place to do the work and I really did not want to dig into the primary. I have a few bucks allowed to me right now and this upgrade seemed about perfect..... especially with a 13% gain in torque. I notice the pulley thread was started just this year so I'm wondering if what that Indy shop said has any value. Guys here haven't tried it out for too long yet.... what if it is hard on drive-belts? That shop has been in business for quite awhile here in Edmonton.
Anything is possible, but I don't see how. The belt if aligned properly with proper tension shouldn't be any more prone to failure than on a stock bike. The 30T pulley I have is an HD part, and a rear pulley change is a pretty normal thing to do.

Maybe if your not running the correct spacer and the belt is rubbing constantly it would be an issue, but if you do it correct I don't know why there would be a failure.

Old 10-03-2016 | 08:37 PM
Berick
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RadarRat
Anything is possible, but I don't see how. The belt if aligned properly with proper tension shouldn't be any more prone to failure than on a stock bike. The 30T pulley I have is an HD part, and a rear pulley change is a pretty normal thing to do.

Maybe if your not running the correct spacer and the belt is rubbing constantly it would be an issue, but if you do it correct I don't know why there would be a failure.

It hasn't got anything to do with the alignment of the pulleys as that is not really a hurdle. The guy builds race bikes but he didn't get into too deep. I just assumed maybe it had something to do with going smaller on the primary and bigger on the secondary. Maybe skipping cogs on the belt due to the torque increase off that smaller primary? I honestly don't know for certain. I think I might hold off on this mod until a "few" people have put 20,000kms or more on it.

Old 10-03-2016 | 09:40 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Berick
It hasn't got anything to do with the alignment of the pulleys as that is not really a hurdle. The guy builds race bikes but he didn't get into too deep. I just assumed maybe it had something to do with going smaller on the primary and bigger on the secondary. Maybe skipping cogs on the belt due to the torque increase off that smaller primary? I honestly don't know for certain. I think I might hold off on this mod until a "few" people have put 20,000kms or more on it.
Do a search and you'll find that guys have been doing this mod for years (I found 2011 with a quick search). So I'm pretty sure any issues would have already popped up. This is the first I've heard of any belt problems associated with it. I just went to a 30/70 combo on my Rocker, and I love it.....Also, I believe the Freewheeler has a 30/70 combo, stock....

Last edited by Rocker B; 10-03-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2016 | 02:43 PM
doo925
Advanced

Berick, check your pm's. I've forwarded my 30/70 info to you.

Old 10-10-2016 | 02:50 PM
doo925
Advanced

FWIW, I haven't heard anyone that has had a belt issue after doing the 30/70 pulley mod. if there was an issue, I'm sure LA Dog would have let everyone know. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable about this mod. And a couple of guys at my local HD dealership knew about this mod years ago also and had it done to their own bikes.