Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM
ttyndall
Club Member
Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Questions from New Owner

I had 2 Harley's back in my 30's but that was quite a few years ago. A lot of things have changed. Including to have to take a driving course.
I bought a 2013 Fatboy with 3900 miles from out of state so when it arrived this past weekend the first upgrade was a battery. Second will be a service manual.
Where would be the best place to order a manual from without paying Harley prices? I found one online at Abe's by Clymer for $26. Is that a good one to buy?

It came with V&H Big Radius Exhaust, Cobra Intake, and V&H Fuelpak. It runs good and all lights work. However this is where the second question comes in. Back in the early 80's when I had my last bike there was no such thing as an FOB and probably not many security systems. It seems strange getting on it and not having to put a key in it. It has ABS but how do I know if it has the security system. Under the seat behind the battery there is a slot for a rectangular piece I was told was part of the alarm system. Nothing is in that slot. Plus when the bike is off there is a round red light on the right side of the speedometer that flashes about every 2 seconds. I checked for codes and there were not any. The light flashes whether I have the FOB with me or not. Could the rectangular piece that is missing be the siren alarm but it still have the security system?
When it got here I charged the battery but it did not hold so I put a battery in and also put batteries in both FOB's as well as new plugs.

Just wanted to make sure the light was doing what it was supposed to and not trying to tell me something.

I have searched everywhere but can't find a direct answer. Look forward to learning from the post.
Ted

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Congrat's on your bike!

The red light is normal, it's to warn thieves it has a security system. Leave your FOB in the house, then go tip up the bike to move it a bit, if the hazards are flashing the security system is fine. The FOB is motion activated. Leave it sitting around long enough and the bike won't see it until you pick it up again.

Not sure about the slot you're talking about. If it's an open electrical connector slot, probably just the plug to access the ECM. Or, it could be for the audible attachment for the alarm. Never messed with one, jut guessing.

As for the manuals, I prefer electronic copy. Somewhere in my post history is a link to a motorcycle manual download site that has the Factory Manuals in pdf searchable format. You can get the service manual, supplemental manual, electrical manual, and part number manual from there all pretty cheap.

Nevermind, found it...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-23-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

I like the printed manuals... just what I'm used to...

You can usually get Harley service, electrical, and parts manuals on eBay for less than new...

I get one of each for my bikes.... I find the Harley manuals much better than the aftermarket ones....

Good luck with the new bike!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 PM
ttyndall
Club Member

TeaRunner
Thanks. I did what you said and when I up-righted the bike the lights started flashing.
Appreciate the link.
The slot I was talking about: If you look down at the battery and look at the "wall" behind the battery box there is a rectangular Hole for something to fit into. It is about 1 1/2" tall
and maybe 3" long. Some rectangular piece snaps into it.
I don't know if it is correct but I read a post saying that was where the siren went if you had one on your alarm system. Whatever it is mine is empty.
I get those manuals you recommended and maybe spot it from that. At least now I know the red light is not a bomb ticking down to zero. and I do have an alarm system which I did not know.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

I always got printed too until my current bike. I was in a pinch and needed one quick, buy and download zero wait.

Since then, I've been converting to all electronic. Just too damn useful to have it on the phone if I run into trouble on the road. Holding up a tablet next to what I'm looking at, also damn useful. These days, I just print my relevant pages for the evening if I plan to do something.

Also came in useful to call a dealer mechanic trying to BS me once on labor charges.

The link I gave gets you factory manuals, not the aftermarket crap.

Originally Posted by ttyndall
TeaRunner
Thanks. I did what you said and when I up-righted the bike the lights started flashing.
Appreciate the link.
The slot I was talking about: If you look down at the battery and look at the "wall" behind the battery box there is a rectangular Hole for something to fit into. It is about 1 1/2" tall
and maybe 3" long. Some rectangular piece snaps into it.
I don't know if it is correct but I read a post saying that was where the siren went if you had one on your alarm system. Whatever it is mine is empty.
I get those manuals you recommended and maybe spot it from that. At least now I know the red light is not a bomb ticking down to zero. and I do have an alarm system which I did not know.
Thanks
No problem, it could very well be for the audible attachment. It's an option, doesn't come included when you buy the bike off the floor.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-23-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On your alarm system, you have a transport mode and a system for arming the security sensors. Contact a Harley dealership and they can tell you how to arm the system. And what the flashing turn signals mean.

Congrats on your new to you bike!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Backdraft161
On your alarm system, you have a transport mode and a system for arming the security sensors. Contact a Harley dealership and they can tell you how to arm the system. And what the flashing turn signals mean.

Congrats on your new to you bike!
Should also go to Harley's web-site and register. Punch in the VIN in your profile and you can get electronic copies of the owner's manual and electrical diagrams for your bike.

That will tell everything you need to know about the alarm, transport, security, and how to program the security override code.

Sorry, it didn't occur to me earlier. It's been awhile since I snooped around in there.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 09-22-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Congrat's on your bike!

As for the manuals, I prefer electronic copy. Somewhere in my post history is a link to a motorcycle manual download site that has the Factory Manuals in pdf searchable format.

Nevermind, found it...
[/URL]
This forum frowns on bootleg copyright downloads, it's against the rules.

To the OP, grab yourself an HD service manual, not a clymer or any of the others.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:35 PM
ttyndall
Club Member

Tampa Fatboy,
I took TeaRunners suggestion and went to the Harley website and registered my bike. They have the owners manual plus wiring schematic, however, I saw where it allowed me to print it but could not find a download link to save it to the computer. I don't want to have to logon and read it off Harley's website each time I want to reference it so might just go buy the manual.
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:13 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
This forum frowns on bootleg copyright downloads, it's against the rules.

To the OP, grab yourself an HD service manual, not a clymer or any of the others.
Good thing it's not a bootleg web-site, isn't it?

Quick Reply: Questions from New Owner