Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D fatcats

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016 | 01:36 PM
bobbymac57
|
Advanced
Default D&D fatcats

Anyone else having issues with their fatcats? I had a set installed on a heritage classic about a month ago. Noticed a big scratch/gouge in rear heat shield after getting it back home. Gave it a bath today and found several more scratches that are too deep to fix. I haven't run over anything and the bike has not been in contact with anything that could have caused them. I thought the chrome on these exhaust were supposed to be better than most that's in part why I bought them. The finish on my v&h on my limited is far superior and they've been on bike for 2 years. Don't really want to swap out because I like the way it runs and sounds just curious to see if they have a chrome issue or if it's just my bad luck.

Old 09-18-2016 | 02:46 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer

The only scratches I have on mine are from dragging pipe in a tight corner. Never a problem otherwise. I bet you got nicked by something while riding and just didn't notice. If the chrome is peeling, D&D should be willing to take care of it for you.

Pics of the scratches in question?

Old 09-18-2016 | 03:01 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member

D&D will stand behind their products. Who installed the pipes? Could they have been scratched during install? Out of 40+ Fat Cat pipes we have installed we have only had 1 chrome issue. Little black spots appeared all over the heat shields and they swapped them out no issue. Out of the 4 softail in my family, 3 are running Fat Cats and zero issues in any of them other than scraping the can during aggressive cornering...

Old 09-18-2016 | 04:02 PM
bobbymac57
|
Advanced

Dealer that I purchased bike from installed them. The bulk of the scratches are on the rear heat shield and dealer already has one on order. There is a deep scratch on bottom of muffler that looks like muffler was drug on something but it is in the wrong place for it to have happened while riding (center of muffler yet closer to tire side). You mentioned some black spots and one thing I noticed is some dark spots that keep reappearing on the muffler. It will clean up with chrome polish but it has come back in the same spot. Thanks for your input, if I keep having issues I'll see what my dealer my do for me.

Old 09-18-2016 | 09:48 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

I ended up selling mine for like 80-90 dollars years ago after a few months of them dragging. They make a upswept set that work much better with softails. Great pipe and good numbers but I should have went upswept. The dealer may replace them if they recommended them and you continue to drag them. There just a fat pipe low to the ground. That's why they made the upswept after a bunch of request you could also maybe have someone upsweep them to where you like them then wrap the headers in black tape.

Old 09-18-2016 | 10:43 PM
bobbymac57
|
Advanced

[QUOTE=hdpearson13;15524270]I ended up selling mine for like 80-90 dollars years ago after a few months of them dragging. They make a upswept set that work much better with softails. Great pipe and good numbers but I should have went upswept. The dealer may replace them if they recommended them and you continue to drag them. There just a fat pipe low to the ground. That's why they made the upswept after a bunch of request you could also maybe have someone upsweep them to where you like them then wrap the headers in black tape.UOTE]
I'm not having any problem at all with it dragging. I'm not sure they would ever drag unless the bike was sliding. Definitely would drag floor boards first. Really think most of the scratches were done at the dealership during installation. Just wouldn't expect them to be that delicate and scratch so easily.

Old 09-18-2016 | 11:01 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

They can tell by compressing shocks all the way downto the stops know the softails with the 150 rear that Before they compress a the way you lean angles really decrease and turning right they scape mine was flattened at an angle before and shortly after came out with the upswept fatcats to combat the issue everyone with slammed softails where having. Best pipe I hear to tune in a dyno. I spent like 600 for them and they were trashed few months later now I run a 50 dollar set of drags from a old evo motor I found at a swap meet. These sound way better but nothing has preformed for me like the fatcat. What's your softail. If you comer hard at all they will drag. I would ask the dealer about the upswept anyhow just to avoid the cornering rubbing anyhow.