Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hardbags on Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016 | 02:52 AM
Holster Maker
|
Tourer
Default New Hardbags on Heritage

Last week I put some ebay new ABS blk China bags (exact copies), mounts, locks, reflectors on for $302 complete and they are gorgeous & very solid. Had to re-position my pipes downward some and my turn signals barely made it by cheating forward with bags.
They don't move at all and Love Them.

Attached Thumbnails New Hardbags on Heritage-05heritage-006.jpg   New Hardbags on Heritage-05heritage-007.jpg   New Hardbags on Heritage-05heritage-008.jpg  

Last edited by Holster Maker; 09-14-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2016 | 07:02 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Looks good.
How about post the link where you got them so others may jump on them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluraven:
Holster Maker (09-15-2016), Leaping1 (06-10-2021)
Old 09-14-2016 | 09:28 AM
eichacsj
Tourer

So I had actually ordered color match hard bags for my Heritage and couple of years back. When the adapter kit can to mount them and I read about lowering the pipes and recommended lightning relocation kit then I saw how tight the lids are to the seat I sent returned everything. If I had gotten the mounting adapter I see on yours here I would have probably kept them.

How did you lower the pipes?
Are your lids pushed into the seat?

Old 09-14-2016 | 03:54 PM
Holster Maker
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by eichacsj
So I had actually ordered color match hard bags for my Heritage and couple of years back. When the adapter kit can to mount them and I read about lowering the pipes and recommended lightning relocation kit then I saw how tight the lids are to the seat I sent returned everything. If I had gotten the mounting adapter I see on yours here I would have probably kept them.

How did you lower the pipes?
Are your lids pushed into the seat?
Pipes:
The Goal; Lower exh bracket by grinding the two holes upward about 1/2" with dye grinder or any other means.
The Job: Loosen exh bolts incl headers, don't remove any, exc mufflers and 2 bottom exh brkt bolts. Now the brkt should be free.
Grind the two holes upwards about 1/2" and re-install and push down on both mufflers after putting them on. Don't tighten the muffler clamps until headers are tight, which pulls them upward, then tighten the mufflers clamps onto the headers. This dropped my pipes 1" and caused the rear muffler to exit exhaust at slight drop angle.

Bags into seat, NO.
However, since I cheated the position a little to use my stock TS the lids hit on them a little, when opening and closing, but no problem. When I ever re-locate my turn signals w/JP Kit for $171, I'll move the bags back about 1/2" and the lids will clear without going under the S-edge. I might not, this isn't a big problem. After getting the pipes down I have no bottom heat on the bags, the problem was the slash out cut.
BTW: Pics are before lowering the pipes, after riding, the slash cut caused the rear portion to feel too hot, so then I repositioned the exh. Now not even warm!
I was VERY surprised with these bags, mounts, etc.

Last edited by Holster Maker; 09-14-2016 at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eichacsj (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016 | 04:14 PM
Holster Maker
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Looks good.
How about post the link where you got them so others may jump on them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400585646347...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181943790809

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400962739046...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Holster Maker; 09-15-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Axis39 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-14-2016 | 04:16 PM
LURCH634
Cruiser

nice, good find

Holster Maker (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016 | 09:28 PM
slodsm
Road Master

I put those bags on mine about 2 months ago. They've seen about 2500 miles of packed two up riding so far and I dont have a single complaint with them. Never had a leak rattle or anything else.

Old 09-14-2016 | 09:38 PM
jtarter
Road Master

Bags look great! Similar to the ones I installed last year. Your first link doesn't pull up anything relative to the bags. Looks like you got a great deal on the brackets. Did your bags come with the latch/hinge assembly?

Old 09-15-2016 | 03:29 AM
Holster Maker
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by jtarter
Bags look great! Similar to the ones I installed last year. Your first link doesn't pull up anything relative to the bags. Looks like you got a great deal on the brackets. Did your bags come with the latch/hinge assembly?
I changed the link, don't know what happen there!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400585646347...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bags came w/latches and hinges installed, ready to go with the best damn paint job for the bucks. Unbelieveable!

The more I ride it, the complete job is okay w/stock turn signals touching the bags.

I love being back on a Softail, after several new EG's. I did have a new '12 Heritage and when I turned 70 and almost got run over by a "Texter" and sold it, going to my Vette, then got withdraws and bought another E-Glide, wasn't totally happy. Now at 73, I found my "old roots". Softail forever now. Only thing I really miss is abs-and better brakes / cruise, but seems to be okay w/manual cruise. Someday, after my Stingray is mine, I might get a new Heritage or at least '16-up, but these bags are following me! I could have them on a new bike in 4 hours or less.

Old 09-15-2016 | 01:44 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=Holster Maker;15512062]Pipes:
The Goal; Lower exh bracket by grinding the two holes upward about 1/2" with dye grinder or any other means.
The Job: Loosen exh bolts incl headers, don't remove any, exc mufflers and 2 bottom exh brkt bolts. Now the brkt should be free.
Grind the two holes upwards about 1/2" and re-install and push down on both mufflers after putting them on. Don't tighten the muffler clamps until headers are tight, which pulls them upward, then tighten the mufflers clamps onto the headers. This dropped my pipes 1" and caused the rear muffler to exit exhaust at slight drop angle.
QUOTE]

Doesn't that place a lot of strain/pressure on the head? That all can't be good when things heat up and vibration starts to take its toll. You may find things starting to crack.

Quick Reply: New Hardbags on Heritage