Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light integrated into the turn signals.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Brake Light integrated into the turn signals.

Hi,

I bought this FXSTC a few months ago. There is no brake light...it has turn signals that act as the brake light/turn signals. License plate is mounted on the side. I really liked the look at the time when i bought it...but now wonder how illegal that is. I know its illegal in Oregon, we cant have integrated turn signals but im wondering how illegal this is....meaning will this cause a cop to pull me over? I drove my sportbike around for years with integrated turn signals and never got a ticket but in this situation the brake light is completely gone. I've looked around and not seen any other bike like this. Anyone else out there have this setup and have any problems with the police? Thank you.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

You'd have better luck going to the DMV and/or local police station and asking them.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:12 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
Hi,

I bought this FXSTC a few months ago. There is no brake light...it has turn signals that act as the brake light/turn signals. License plate is mounted on the side. I really liked the look at the time when i bought it...but now wonder how illegal that is. I know its illegal in Oregon, we cant have integrated turn signals but im wondering how illegal this is....meaning will this cause a cop to pull me over? I drove my sportbike around for years with integrated turn signals and never got a ticket but in this situation the brake light is completely gone. I've looked around and not seen any other bike like this. Anyone else out there have this setup and have any problems with the police? Thank you.
Rockers came that way stock, so I'd reckon you'll be fine.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:15 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Not sure how you "can't" have integrated turn signals with brakes. Stock slims and breakouts are integrated turn signals with brake/running lights. They get bright when you brake, and flash when you signal.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You're fine. If the bulbs blink on signal, and bulbs get bright on brake.. You're good! *thumbs*

Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrenchy
You're fine. If the bulbs blink on signal, and bulbs get bright on brake.. You're good! *thumbs*
Yes they do! Thanks guys. I never knew there was a harley rocker either...i looked it up yeah no brake light...interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:06 AM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

my Blackline is the same. no separate brake light from the factory

Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Someone told me Cali has laws regarding separation of turn signals. So for instance my under-fender brake/signal light would be illegal because they are too close together and I would need to re-add the rear signals I took off. But other than that, I think it would be fine as long as everything functions. In Michigan, a signal isn't even required. Brake only. Which is nutty to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:46 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Someone told me Cali has laws regarding separation of turn signals. So for instance my under-fender brake/signal light would be illegal because they are too close together and I would need to re-add the rear signals I took off. But other than that, I think it would be fine as long as everything functions. In Michigan, a signal isn't even required. Brake only. Which is nutty to me.
Doubt they enforce that. See integrated lights all the time.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,259 Likes on 3,162 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Not sure how you "can't" have integrated turn signals with brakes. Stock slims and breakouts are integrated turn signals with brake/running lights. They get bright when you brake, and flash when you signal.
Originally Posted by Wrenchy
^^^This^^^
I believe that's for mirrors, they're not DOT approved for a the front blinker only. I did a BAL-2 and added a run/brake/turn module to add more brake lighting and run to my originally turn only rear lights.
I also had to change the rear LED's to red.

Last edited by RANGER73; 09-14-2016 at 01:30 PM.