Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessively high idle on startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Could be the IAC valve acting up. Take the air cleaner off and hit it with some carburetor cleaner. Be sure to stuff a paper towel in the throat of the carburetor and cover the engine with a towel. Flip the ignition switch on and of a few times to actuate the valve while cleaning. My bike did have some trash or gunk in it and status have been consistent ever since..

Old 08-29-2016, 03:56 PM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gchristopher9
My 2013 Deluxe acted up a few times yesterday morning while out and about. Bike started up and ran just fine when leaving the house. I had two stops to make before heading to work. Both where quick stops after the bike had reach operating temperature. When starting the warmed up engine, the idle was excessively high, what sounded like it may even be wide open throttle. The cable is not kinked or hung up in any way. My attempts to twist the throttle in the opposite direction did nothing since it was already in the closed position. I don't see anything in the service manual for super high idle and I do not have a check engine light. Is it possible it is throwing codes in the background without lighting the check engine light? Any ideas as to what might be happening?
How are you shutting off the engine? I've only ever had this when I mistakenly used the console ignition switch to turn the engine off. If I use the run/kill switch as directed by the manual, then it works just fine.

It might be stating the obvious and you're already doing the correct procedure, but it's a simple and cheap thing to fix and might help.

(I don't care that other owners see no difference between the two methods -- my bike reacts if I do it wrong, so I do it right.)

Old 08-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

I could tell you how to fix this, but it only works on fuel injected touring bikes.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Iceman44
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Excessively High Idle

If your bike is revving up beyond 3000 rpm and your not pulling a PO507 code (excessively high idle), there's most probably something wrong with your ECM. Before you confirm that, try cleaning or replacing your IAC valve, you may get lucky. I have changed my IAC and TPS and the problem still got progressively worse. If your OK with your dealer, take it there. Be forewarned they will only change components and tell you your ECM is fine. I've been dealing with this for quite awhile. Installed a TMAX this weekend and put on 200 miles without an idle issue. So right now that tells me my ECM was fried-(fingers crossed). I turn on my ignition switch, then turn on the run button-like your supposed to do. Also wait for the fuel pump light to go out before I hit the start button. Another sign of a failing ECM is the fuel pump light does not come on. Hope this helps and if mine continues to aggravate me, I'm going back to an old carb model.

Last edited by Iceman44; 08-30-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
gchristopher9
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
How are you shutting off the engine? I've only ever had this when I mistakenly used the console ignition switch to turn the engine off. If I use the run/kill switch as directed by the manual, then it works just fine.

It might be stating the obvious and you're already doing the correct procedure, but it's a simple and cheap thing to fix and might help.

(I don't care that other owners see no difference between the two methods -- my bike reacts if I do it wrong, so I do it right.)
I always use the run/stop switch to shut down the engine.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:58 AM
gchristopher9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Zerk
I could tell you how to fix this, but it only works on fuel injected touring bikes.
Well then I guess it wouldn't be a fix for this then now would it? Care to humor me on a solution that only works on a touring bike (that probably has almost exactly the same engine).

Old 08-31-2016, 12:18 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Why was this in soft ail section then?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM
gchristopher9
Road Captain

I don't even know what you're saying. It is in the softail section because my bike is a softail.

The following users liked this post:
Br125 (09-01-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gchristopher9
I don't even know what you're saying. It is in the softail section because my bike is a softail.
Chek the throttle SHAFT....internally where the butterfly's mount'd....notorious for hair-line cracks where the screw holds it to the shaft.....when run'n, try'n to idle....income'n air lets the butterfly 'flex' some, cuzz it ain't held tight....

was problem in my case, anyways.....lucky, caught it 'fore it flew all ta hell....an' down thru the engine....found/install'd new throttlebody assembly....took about a hr....
an' yeah.....1st replaced IAC.....TPS sensors, all'at shizz.....but it were'nt the culprit

Last edited by Harleyrider_49; 08-31-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Iceman44
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep posting, eventually one of us will figure it out. So far, so good with the T-max. Here's another good one-Awhile ago my bike was throwing a code for start switch stuck, of course you can't fix it, but have to replace it. Right Side Handlebar Control Module-$284.00, freakin' outrageous. Guess what? Replaced it, took care of that issue. coming off the freeway this past Sunday, hit the right turn signal, wouldn't turn off. Cancelled by hitting the left signal. Pulled over, checked the right turn button-it's freakin broke. you can feel something loose inside. Called the dealer, nothing they can do, because I installed it myself. It lasted about 30 days. Going up to the dealer tomorrow to have words. There's a small chance the stand-off inside the cap broke. I'm having 'them' pull off the cap. At least if they break it, i can get a new cap. My recent luck, suggests i'll be spending another $300.00. We'll see how they treat me. Talk about being pissed!!

Quick Reply: Excessively high idle on startup