Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage dash on a Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:34 AM
JefferiesHD1
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Made a bracket to move the mounting stud down about 3/4 inch.

Got it installed.

Put new led board in console and plugged everything up. Then installed it with new tank bib.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:15 AM
JefferiesHD1
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Take note: you can not use the stock Deluxe risers after doing this. They only needed about a quarter inch more. I couldn't figure it out and finally saw there is about 2 degrees difference in the rake between a Deluxe and a Heritage. Oh well.

I wanted to look more old school anyway. These are the risers on the Hydra-Glides.

I bought these.

The repros of the Hydra-Glide handlebars are too wide to fit thru my door.

So I bought these.

Supposed to be here this week. I've never run wires internally before. Wish me luck!

Last edited by JefferiesHD1; 10-18-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,435 Likes on 4,752 Posts

@ JefferiesHD1....nice write up, I like it. Have to bookmark this for future reference. Too many lil projects on the list atm but I can see this happening one day.

The following users liked this post:
JefferiesHD1 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JefferiesHD1
Supposed to be here this week. I've never run wires internally before. Wish me luck!
Internal wiring is not very "old school", but I did it anyway & very happy about it. Most importantly, I didn't have to worry about unsightly wire ties and/or cable clamps that not always fit correctly & looked horrible to me.
I also spliced the control cables into the existing harness so I wouldn't have to remove the tank, & for me its much easier to solder & heat shrink than pulling pins & crimping.

Good luck!

Last edited by schlacker; 10-18-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,435 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by schlacker
Internal wiring is not very "old school", but I did it anyway & very happy about it. Most importantly, I didn't have to worry about unsightly wire ties and/or cable clamps that not always fit correctly & looked horrible to me.
I also spliced the control cables into the existing harness so I wouldn't have to remove the tank, & for me its much easier to solder & heat shrink than pulling pins & crimping.

Good luck!
You remove the rear tank bolt, the front tank bolt, the quick release fuel line, and the tank lifts up and pulls back to give you access to the wiring harness connectors. Pull the connectors, pop the pins on the connectors, solder the added wiring and pop the pins back in. The connectors are numbered and the manual gives the color codes.
Time consuming is the PITA, it's not rocket science. It's the same with the brake lines and clutch cable, time consuming.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:43 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 312 Likes on 213 Posts

Made the mistake of showing the wife this thread. Looks like I may now have one of these dash swap projects on my hands this winter for her Deluxe.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Bassmann50
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Schlock ear... where did you get the wiring diagram...

Originally Posted by schlacker

Good luck!
I am in the middle of this mod... followed Jeffery post and the new harness is for newer bikes so Im going to have to splice it into my 2005 FLSTNI Deluxe. I took my tank off looking for the harness and it wasn't there, just wires running all the way back to the control module under the seat, dang it!

ANyway looking to re-wire splice in the new LED cluster as I can use the speedo clip, and the ignition clip. Also just curious for the rubber switch that changes the ODO to trip miles what did you do with that, leave it hidden? Drill the new dash??

Thanks,

Chris

Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassmann50
I am in the middle of this mod... followed Jeffery post and the new harness is for newer bikes so Im going to have to splice it into my 2005 FLSTNI Deluxe. I took my tank off looking for the harness and it wasn't there, just wires running all the way back to the control module under the seat, dang it!

ANyway looking to re-wire splice in the new LED cluster as I can use the speedo clip, and the ignition clip. Also just curious for the rubber switch that changes the ODO to trip miles what did you do with that, leave it hidden? Drill the new dash??

Thanks,

Chris
The cat eye dash has the hole for the odometer reset. It's moved slightly forward from the normal dash position but there is ample wire so it will fit right in.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Bassmann50
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
The cat eye dash has the hole for the odometer reset. It's moved slightly forward from the normal dash position but there is ample wire so it will fit right in.
Joe G

I wish that were correct in my case, I think my dash was a newer remake or something. I got it from Surdyke and used the part number that JeffriesHD1 said in his post, but there is no hole either side anywhere, probably a Made in china fab and they deleted the hole, anywho thanks for the reply!

Found a good wiring diagram for my bike from Dakota Digital describing the colors at the end near the gas tank, but still looking for a chart or something that tells me what all the wires in the wiring harness (Part# 72658-12 Harness Instrument Console w LED) go to, any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks awesome JeffriesHD1! Nicely done and great write up. I love that paint on your Deluxe.

The following users liked this post:
JefferiesHD1 (11-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Heritage dash on a Deluxe?