Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master cylinder at an angle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016 | 02:02 AM
bobsharley
|
Advanced
Default Master cylinder at an angle

Hey everyone,
I installed a set of mini apes and the handle part really sits at an angle which makes both my clutch and front brake master cylinder sit at an angle so my fluid level in my sight gage sits right at the bottom. So I'm wondering if that will be an issue when I ride. Would suck to get air in there. Do they make a master cylinder for this?

Old 07-12-2016 | 10:55 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bobsharley
Hey everyone,
I installed a set of mini apes and the handle part really sits at an angle which makes both my clutch and front brake master cylinder sit at an angle so my fluid level in my sight gage sits right at the bottom. So I'm wondering if that will be an issue when I ride. Would suck to get air in there. Do they make a master cylinder for this?
Most bars have a slot where the control wires come through to allow you to loosen and rotate the controls enough to solve this. The master cylinder indent on the bars will only allow for so much rotation though. If you have adjusted the controls as much as possible you might consider loosening the riser bolts and adjusting the bars just a bit to level things out.
I rack my bars forward and adjust my controls until things are level and comfortable.

Old 07-12-2016 | 03:40 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

the master cylinder on mine was at an angle and it caused it to leak... and no... I did not tinker with it before I move it... I believe this is a know issue with the HD master cylinders.. really HD?

Old 07-12-2016 | 07:00 PM
bobsharley
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLS103
Most bars have a slot where the control wires come through to allow you to loosen and rotate the controls enough to solve this. The master cylinder indent on the bars will only allow for so much rotation though. If you have adjusted the controls as much as possible you might consider loosening the riser bolts and adjusting the bars just a bit to level things out.
I rack my bars forward and adjust my controls until things are level and comfortable.

Thanks but the issue isn't front to back, my bars are bent at the handles up and down. So the grip is pointed down which puts the sight glass pointing up instead of close to horizontal. I imagine it will be ok but wanted to ask the question anyway. Going to the dealership tomorrow anyway so they can bleed my front brake since there seems to be no way around digital tech for the Slim S. Anyway I'll ask the senior tech.

Old 07-12-2016 | 07:27 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Thanks but the issue isn't front to back, my bars are bent at the handles up and down. So the grip is pointed down which puts the sight glass pointing up instead of close to horizontal. I imagine it will be ok but wanted to ask the question anyway. Going to the dealership tomorrow anyway so they can bleed my front brake since there seems to be no way around digital tech for the Slim S. Anyway I'll ask the senior tech.
FWIW...I used a vacuum bleeder on my abs system and have had no issues. The abs still functions as it did when new.

Old 07-12-2016 | 07:29 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

How is the lever alignment when you are sitting on the bike, are your wrists more strait or kind of kinked forward at an awkward angle? And by angle do you mean laterally or from front to rear?

Old 07-12-2016 | 09:36 PM
bobsharley
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLS103
FWIW...I used a vacuum bleeder on my abs system and have had no issues. The abs still functions as it did when new.
Tried the vacuum bleeder but doesn't work on the 2016 Slim S. The front brake goes from the cylinder down to the ABS module then a separate line goes from the other side of the ABS module to the front brake caliper. Using the vacuum from the caliper bleed port only empties the line from the module to the caliper. It doesn't pull it through the module from the cylinder side. Maybe the Slim S is different than all the other ABS bikes. I even asked a tech at Harley that has done many things for me either free or on the cheap and he said you still have to do digital tech on the Slim S.

Old 07-12-2016 | 09:50 PM
Berick
Road Captain

Tried the vacuum bleeder but doesn't work on the 2016 Slim S. The front brake goes from the cylinder down to the ABS module then a separate line goes from the other side of the ABS module to the front brake caliper. Using the vacuum from the caliper bleed port only empties the line from the module to the caliper. It doesn't pull it through the module from the cylinder side. Maybe the Slim S is different than all the other ABS bikes. I even asked a tech at Harley that has done many things for me either free or on the cheap and he said you still have to do digital tech on the Slim S.
The technicians at the Harley dealership told me the same thing... that I would need to bring the bike in after changing out my front brake lines so they could run the Digital Technician on it. My bike is also equipped with ABS. They wanted a flat fee of $150 to plug their machine into whatever it plugs into so I figured wth... may as well try it with the Mighty-vac and see what happens. I bled the lines just as normal and the bike was perfectly fine. No codes and no issues. Most of the pylons that work behind the counter at the dealership don't even know what a spanner wrench is used for but they sure know how to throw bogus charges out over the phone. The mechanics at the dealership here are not much better!

Old 07-12-2016 | 10:01 PM
bobsharley
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
How is the lever alignment when you are sitting on the bike, are your wrists more strait or kind of kinked forward at an awkward angle? And by angle do you mean laterally or from front to rear?
Here's a picture of the grip angling down.

Old 07-13-2016 | 07:27 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Berick
The technicians at the Harley dealership told me the same thing... that I would need to bring the bike in after changing out my front brake lines so they could run the Digital Technician on it. My bike is also equipped with ABS. They wanted a flat fee of $150 to plug their machine into whatever it plugs into so I figured wth... may as well try it with the Mighty-vac and see what happens. I bled the lines just as normal and the bike was perfectly fine. No codes and no issues. Most of the pylons that work behind the counter at the dealership don't even know what a spanner wrench is used for but they sure know how to throw bogus charges out over the phone. The mechanics at the dealership here are not much better!
No issues vacuum bleeding my abs either, done it twice...two bar changes. The dealer also told me I couldn't put a Crossbones wheel, Fatboy fender and 200mm on my Slim, that was false too.

Last edited by FLS103; 07-13-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder at an angle