Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to say....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016 | 11:02 AM
leftyjm
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Default Had to say....

For a few months I wrestled back and forth whether to sell my 09 Hertitage that I had set up perfectly and buy a Road Glide Special or keep the Heritage.
Well I bought a RGS and kept the Heritage just in case.
I have to say I found that once I got use to the RGS I found my Heritage just sat. I ended up selling it to a good home where it is getting used like it should.
Just wanted to say as much as I liked that Heritage the more I ride the Road Glide the more am happy with my decision.
Thought I'd give the info for those on the fence.
Thanks for reading
Lefty
2015 RGS

Old 07-04-2016 | 11:10 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master

Nice on enjoying your new ride. Its all about what fits your needs and being happy with what your riding. Congrats.

Old 07-04-2016 | 11:14 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Harley says that Road Glide owners put on more miles than any other model. Now you know why!

Any excuse for a ride. Anywhere, anytime, I'm ready!

Old 07-04-2016 | 12:33 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy.

I'll keep my Heritage for now. You never know what the future holds.

Old 07-04-2016 | 01:03 PM
leftyjm
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy.

I'll keep my Heritage for now. You never know what the future holds.
BTW is that your Westie in the pic. Great dogs, had on that lived to be 16
Lefty

Old 07-04-2016 | 01:05 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

I have never ridden a Road Glide. I ride a Tour Glide once and the frame mounted fairing freaked me out in turns. I ride an Electra Glide once which I liked better than the tour glide since the fairing was fork mounted, but still didn't care for what I perceived as an obstructed view that reminded me of driving a car. The wind protection was great, almost too great. Again, because of the car like feel.

Most of the bikes I have ridden were open, no fairing, no windshield, no saddlebags, no nothing, so I kind of surprised myself buying the Heritage. The price was low enough that I could sell it and make a few dollars if I didn't like it. I ended up liking it so much that this is my last bike unless it gets totaled or something ridiculously catastrophic happens to it.

To each their own. What works for me may be out of the question for the next person.

Glad you found what makes you happy. Life is too short to not be.

P..S. I am yet to ride a twin cam. I sat on friend's 2014 or 2015 Street Glide last month with it running and really didn't like it. Ergonomics were good (it had a few mods such as nice handlebars) but the engine and its mounting system just felt wrong to me. But hey, he loves it, so that is all that matters.

Afterwards he sat on my old Evo Heritage. I think it actually scared him, especially when he revved it.

Old 07-04-2016 | 01:26 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by leftyjm
BTW is that your Westie in the pic. Great dogs, had on that lived to be 16
Lefty
It is. They are great dogs. We had one live to 17 years old. This is our Westie, Andy, with our Bulldog, Layla.

Old 07-04-2016 | 02:08 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I had a SG but had kept my Heritage. So happy I did, I felt like I 'operated' the SG but I 'ride' a Softail. I can't think of any reason why I would leave the Softail family except for when it's time to go to 3 wheels. For me the SG was too heavy but I'm an old lady!!

Old 07-04-2016 | 02:21 PM
leftyjm
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
It is. They are great dogs. We had one live to 17 years old. This is our Westie, Andy, with our Bulldog, Layla.

Those two look like a great pair. We had a Black Lab with the Westie and the Westie kept wanting to herd the Lab. Lot of laughs.
Just have a 2.5 yr old Black Lab now that looks like she'll be a puppy for awhile.
Lefty

Old 07-06-2016 | 07:58 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

I started my HD life on an EGC. Loved it, put lots of miles on it and was sad to see it go, but upgraded to a RGU. Been riding it for three years and it will be the last thing I ever sell. I just recently bought a couple softails, a 96 and 02 for my boys to ride with me and when I don't want to spend a couple hours cleaning the RGU after a ride. Totally different animals, all fun as hell. The RGU is a mile eater for sure. 500 mile days are nothing on it, it handles surprisingly well for a big bike and the wife is comfortable and happy on the back. I can get a weeks worth of groceries in it. The softails (I mainly ride the '02) are fun to ride. You feel like part of the bike, it goes wherever you think you want it feels like it weighs nothing. The 02 is set up awesome, apes, longshots and I just added some audio this past weekend. They make all different kinds of bikes for all different kinds of reasons and people. Glad you like the RG, it is still my favorite bike ever. Checkout roadglide.org for some fellow enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Had to say....