Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail slim gangster apes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM
LURCH634
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for the delay brother it was late when I got off this is my 16th with the 18 to 20 inch wires there is a little bit of room left so I think if you go to the 14 inch cables you'll be fine

Old 07-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Specialed603
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleredcrate
Thanks for the input guys. After reading these posts, and seeing what some of you taller guys said about the 16"s, I think I'll end up going with the 14"s with the high roller risers. My next question, which would also be pertinent if I go with the 16"s as well is, should I compensate extra on my cable length? For example, if I went with the 14"s, with the risers, that should theoretically be about 16.5"s give or take a little bit. So, I should go with the 15-17 cables if I buy the 14"s and 18-20 if I get the 16"s. Carlini said I would be fine with the exact length, i.e. 12-14 for the 14"s and 15-17 for the 16"s but it doesn't seem right to me.

@ED- Those wheels are sick man.

Make it easy on yourself and get the cables through carlini also. That's what I did. Cables were perfect

Old 07-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Littleredcrate
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LURCH634
Sorry for the delay brother it was late when I got off this is my 16th with the 18 to 20 inch wires there is a little bit of room left so I think if you go to the 14 inch cables you'll be fine

Looks good man. I'll probably just end up going with the 15-17" just to bed safe. I'm going to place the order for everything this week.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Littleredcrate
Novice

Originally Posted by Specialed603
Make it easy on yourself and get the cables through carlini also. That's what I did. Cables were perfect
Yeah I plan on getting everything I need through them.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
BlackSlim
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is awesome! I'm also ordering 14" gangster apes for my '13 slim in black. Thanks for starting this thread @littleredcrate. Im also 5'10" and was wondering the same. Helped out a lot brother. And also thanks for your service.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM
gd59
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I've considered apes they look bad *** just not sure if I would like riding arms up don't know. Great thread though lot of good info guess I need to go test ride something that has apes see how it feels.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Littleredcrate
Novice

Well gents, after a ton of thought, research and recommendations, I pulled the trigger on the 1.5" thick 14" gangster apes, high roller risers, 15-17" cables, bushings and the electrical extension to go with it. I ordered them today so they will be waiting at my house when I get home from overseas. I'll be installing them early next month and I'll post pictures. Thanks for all the info guys and I hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gd59
I've considered apes they look bad *** just not sure if I would like riding arms up don't know. Great thread though lot of good info guess I need to go test ride something that has apes see how it feels.
My Slim is my 3rd HD. I traded in a 2006 SG. It didn't fit me as well as my Slim does if you were to compare the two bikes if they were stock. Back when I first started riding I didn't like the idea of apes. But then I put some Monkey Bars on my Slim. I am only 5'7. Had my bars put one over winter one year. Pulled it out of storage and 5 min down the road I loved it. You might not think it, but it is comfortable. Hands never went numb.

I been back and forth about getting them on my Slim. I like the look of the stock bars but I also like the comfort of apes. My only concern is the width of the bars. Don't want them too wide for when I have the bars turned.

Attached Thumbnails Softail slim gangster apes-img_7524.png  
Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleredcrate
Well gents, after a ton of thought, research and recommendations, I pulled the trigger on the 1.5" thick 14" gangster apes, high roller risers, 15-17" cables, bushings and the electrical extension to go with it. I ordered them today so they will be waiting at my house when I get home from overseas. I'll be installing them early next month and I'll post pictures. Thanks for all the info guys and I hope everyone had a great 4th of July!
Good choice bro. Sorry I didn't get back to your question sooner. I'm 5'7", running 16's with BR's 1 1/2' risers and they're a tad bit too tall for me and my bumb shoulder. I think you'll love your 14's. Thank you for your service sir and I hope time fly's for your trip home and safe journey's for ya.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:33 AM
gd59
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
My Slim is my 3rd HD. I traded in a 2006 SG. It didn't fit me as well as my Slim does if you were to compare the two bikes if they were stock. Back when I first started riding I didn't like the idea of apes. But then I put some Monkey Bars on my Slim. I am only 5'7. Had my bars put one over winter one year. Pulled it out of storage and 5 min down the road I loved it. You might not think it, but it is comfortable. Hands never went numb.

I been back and forth about getting them on my Slim. I like the look of the stock bars but I also like the comfort of apes. My only concern is the width of the bars. Don't want them too wide for when I have the bars turned.
Thanks for the input I'm going to have to try it out I've had other people tell me that about the numbness.

Quick Reply: Softail slim gangster apes