Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Inverted Front Fork Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Sgtmercy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HD Inverted Front Fork Help

I installed the Inverted Front Fork offered by HD (48646-06A) on my 07 Night Train a few years ago. Now I have an oil seal leak and HD has obsoleted the Fork rebuild kit (46662-05). My local dealer is stumped.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Fork seals usually leak because dirt and grime get in the seal. You could try and clean them and see if they will seal up. Or you could find the diameter of the fork tubes and try a set of seals that fit the fork diameter but you run the risk of them not fitting the outter fork leg

Old 06-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Sgtmercy
4th Gear

The dealer took it to a local seal and bearings store (that's all they do), they can match the seal in every way except height, apparently it is 11 mm high and they can only get 9mm or 12mm. Not sure if that makes a difference but the dealer is still looking.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 AM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

why would they stop selling a service part for something thats still in the parts book

Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have no idea what the seal looks like or the material it's made out of (I've never seen one) but 11mm to 12mm difference is only .039" (just over 1/32" .0315"). If the seal is indeed not available, you could take the 12mm seal you found and shave it down to 11mm. You may can take a piece of sand paper on a flat table and holding the seal flat "sand" off 1/32" pretty quickly. Use the uncut factory finish side of the seal on the "contaminant" side and shaved side of the new seal on the "oil" side.

That's crazy if it's discontinued though

Old 06-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Sgtmercy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jf
why would they stop selling a service part for something thats still in the parts book
That was my reply exactly, I even called HD Customer Service, useless twits. I have a problem with them selling something that they can't/won't support especially when it disables the bike. I haven't ridden this season at all because the bike is out of commission.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 AM
softailslim87
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check with Race Tech. They have seals for just about anything. I needed some fork seals for a Ducati a year ago and refused to pay the dealer price. Race Tech got me superior seals for 1/4 of the price.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Doesn't Drag Specialties have something that will work?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:49 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Fyi

You have a product that was manufactured by Marzocchi. They had an office several years ago in California. Everything that is in those, I have found through trying to service them, is all different measurements and definitely not interchangeable with other brands with ready available parts. All are odd sizes. They were always very hard to deal with in the best of times. I tried searching for any dealers in the USA and I came up with nothing for you. Try going here (good luck):

marzocchimoto.com

You may try PM'ing 05train on this forum as he has a set from a long time back.

You may also try contacting the Andreani Group in Italy as all of their manufactured offerings are based on the Marzocchi. I do not know if they could help. When I contacted them (Marzocchi) in California, it was a waste of time for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited by FastHarley; 06-29-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 AM
Sgtmercy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FastHarley
You have a product that was manufactured by Marzocchi. They had an office several years ago in California. Everything that is in those, I have found through trying to service them, is all different measurements and definitely not interchangeable with other brands with ready available parts. All are odd sizes. They were always very hard to deal with in the best of times. I tried searching for any dealers in the USA and I came up with nothing for you. Try going here (good luck):

marzocchimoto.com

You may try PM'ing 05train on this forum as he has a set from a long time back.

You may also try contacting the Andreani Group in Italy as all of their manufactured offerings are based on the Marzocchi. I do not know if they could help. When I contacted them (Marzocchi) in California, it was a waste of time for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply but I'm way ahead of you. I email Marzocchi in Italy and Enrico replied that they can't sell directly to the market but only to motorcycle manufacturers, but did direct me to the Andreani Group.

So I emailed them and got a reply from Luciano saying they are suppliers for the aftermarket and since they don't have a reference number from Marzocchi they would need the measurements of the seal to try and match it.

I emailed Enrico back asking if he could at least supply me with a reference or part number for this seal. No reply yet. I'm going to call my dealer back today and see if he can get me measurements of the seal, maybe a picture to forward to the Andreani Group.

So close, yet so far.

Quick Reply: HD Inverted Front Fork Help