Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

breakout bagger

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016 | 12:38 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

John 11:35

Old 06-21-2016 | 02:25 PM
UHDhog
Tourer

Originally Posted by matte
Sometimes ignorance is a bit of bliss. I put 35k miles on my first bike (2005 FXDL) over 10 years without a windshield and never really had an issue. Fatigue for sure on the long trips, but mostly wind and nothing an every 100mi red bull wouldn't fix. My breakout needed a bar swap immediately due to my back, but since then, it has been an exceptionally smooth ride on the long trips even with the stock seat. And each *long* trip I've made has been straight shots for 8-9 hour stretches. Reality is I can't justify two bikes and I still like the fun looking bobber when I am not touring (which is most of the time). Hopefully when all is said and done, it will look fairly streamlined. Even if not, it will at least be functional
I'm glad you're the first one to be chastised for this. I'm doing the exact same thing as we speak. I have a 2000 mile trip planned in October and I'm installing a tour-pack. I already use QD saddlebags with EZ-Brackets for weekend trips. But, the OL will much prefer the tourpack mounted in the right location. The factory HD backrest is too far forward.

As far as the "Why not get a bagger" question.. I may use this stuff twice a year. Spending $10k on a bagger that will be used twice a year is pretty ridiculous when I can make the bike do what I need for less than $500. It will look ugly AF for long trips, but I'd rather do that than have a bagger sit in my garage 340 days of the year.

I have Shotguns installed and I'd rather ride my Breakout with SS than an Ultra. Been there, done that. Bullet fairing to cut the wind and the ride is amazingly smooth.

Happy riding!!

The following users liked this post:
matte (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 02:53 PM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by UHDhog
I'm glad you're the first one to be chastised for this. I'm doing the exact same thing as we speak. I have a 2000 mile trip planned in October and I'm installing a tour-pack. I already use QD saddlebags with EZ-Brackets for weekend trips. But, the OL will much prefer the tourpack mounted in the right location. The factory HD backrest is too far forward.

As far as the "Why not get a bagger" question.. I may use this stuff twice a year. Spending $10k on a bagger that will be used twice a year is pretty ridiculous when I can make the bike do what I need for less than $500. It will look ugly AF for long trips, but I'd rather do that than have a bagger sit in my garage 340 days of the year.

I have Shotguns installed and I'd rather ride my Breakout with SS than an Ultra. Been there, done that. Bullet fairing to cut the wind and the ride is amazingly smooth.

Happy riding!!
What kind of tour pak are you going to mount? If you are planning on using the stock QD hardware, I could easily cut you a mount once the final cut is done (or sell you the one in this picture for the cost of material).

As for the stock backrest...they have two different side plates that work with the breakout. I made the mistake and got the ones that didn't adjust which takes away 2 inches of space for the passenger. Realized the error and HD swapped em for the adjustable ones plus the price difference. Something to think about.

The following users liked this post:
UHDhog (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 03:02 PM
UHDhog
Tourer

Originally Posted by matte
What kind of tour pak are you going to mount? If you are planning on using the stock QD hardware, I could easily cut you a mount once the final cut is done (or sell you the one in this picture for the cost of material).

As for the stock backrest...they have two different side plates that work with the breakout. I made the mistake and got the ones that didn't adjust which takes away 2 inches of space for the passenger. Realized the error and HD swapped em for the adjustable ones plus the price difference. Something to think about.
Check your PMs. Definitely interested.

Old 06-29-2016 | 07:57 PM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

Here's a temporary design of the long-term project. Took some advice and knocked about 5 inches off the original design, so it should hug the fender perfectly. The bottom portion is a rough area of where the bags will sit. I took the measurements off a a 2014 ultra bagger and it should hit up all the mounting holes without any other bracket. All off a single 1/8" steal plate that is bent at the appropriate cutout areas. Just waiting on the bags to come in to make sure my measurements are up to snuff.

Attached Thumbnails breakout bagger-tp-rack-template.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016 | 11:49 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

So the project is slowly coming together. Bags are all painted and the tourpak is mounted. Still piecing the saddlebags together one screw at a time. Also still trying to figure out some of the mounting options for the bags. I was able to lower the bracket so it rests about 1 inch above the fender. Here's what I have so far with the unpainted bracket!

Attached Thumbnails breakout bagger-20160805_072501.jpg   breakout bagger-20160805_072447.jpg   breakout bagger-20160805_072439.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016 | 11:51 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

And if I load it up enough, wheelies all day long!

Old 08-05-2016 | 12:03 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Outside the norm, love it dude!

Old 08-05-2016 | 02:12 PM
burnsy87
Tourer

Yeah man I like it, something different.. and useful.

Old 08-05-2016 | 08:10 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

The only thing that I've ever seen with a bigger *** on it is my Ex old lady! It's your bike.

Quick Reply: breakout bagger