Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

breakout bagger

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016 | 12:26 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Question...why didn't you get a "bagger" to begin with? It's like putting a continental kit on a Vette.
+1, I can't understand people getting a Breakout and then "spoiling" the bike with all those bags and cases....simply doesn't look right. JMO.

Old 06-21-2016 | 06:10 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Question...why didn't you get a "bagger" to begin with? It's like putting a continental kit on a Vette.
Primary reasons...I am perfectly "comfortable" on my breakout for the long trips. Just fabricating an alternative solution for those trips so I can pack down, and then strip it all off quickly when at my destination. The problem I have baggers is...when you want to do the fun riding, you still have a bagger to push around. Also these bags fell into my lap for free. So wanted to see what I could fabricate to make it all just work. My last soft tourpak from kuryakyn is falling apart at the seams. I have cheap access to a plasma cutter, redesigning to better fit is really easy (already have a lower cut created since this is clearly too high) and materials for these kind of cuts aren't very expensive.

The following users liked this post:
Johan96 (04-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2016 | 06:18 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

This is the bike loaded down for rolling thunder a couple weeks ago. To me this is less safe and way less attractive than what I am doing here.

Attached Thumbnails breakout bagger-13407163_10153648058628671_2555016815649555602_n-1-.jpg  
Br125 (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 09:59 AM
fake
Tourer

Originally Posted by jgos929
A+ for functionality a solid D for looks.

This..

Old 06-21-2016 | 10:09 AM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member

For some reason , this comes to mind:

The following 2 users liked this post by EricRay:
Br125 (06-22-2016), matte (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 10:27 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by matte
Primary reasons...I am perfectly "comfortable" on my breakout for the long trips. Just fabricating an alternative solution for those trips so I can pack down, and then strip it all off quickly when at my destination. The problem I have baggers is...when you want to do the fun riding, you still have a bagger to push around. Also these bags fell into my lap for free. So wanted to see what I could fabricate to make it all just work. My last soft tourpak from kuryakyn is falling apart at the seams. I have cheap access to a plasma cutter, redesigning to better fit is really easy (already have a lower cut created since this is clearly too high) and materials for these kind of cuts aren't very expensive.
Not a fair comparison but I have a '05 Deuce and an '02 FLHT. Made several 500 mile days on the Deuce, loaded with a large tour bag and one saddle bag and while fatigued at the end of the day, it was tolerable. Bought the '02 FLHT used, beefed up motor, some cosmetic changes and first long trip was a pleasure. Not only was the bike more comfortable but baggers handle so much better than say a Deuce or Breakout. I think if the OP ever made a long trip on a bagger; he would see the light........

Attached Thumbnails breakout bagger-20141130_163047_resized.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016 | 10:39 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

I agree these bikes are not really baggers. for me, it probably shouldn't be made to look like one. but, we all like to customize our bikes to suit our needs so I like the idea but I'm just not too crazy about the size of the case. I understand the need for them on those Americade/Laconia bike week trips. I just got back from Americade and I used a tail bag strapped to the rear (no passenger) I'm thinking about saddlebags for mine, but they must be quick release with no support brackets visible or left behind. I think it kills the look.

as far as comfort goes, people say the breakout is a horrible ride but I honestly feel comfortable on the bike. maybe I'm the only one. The trip home from Americade was a little over 3 hours but I honestly didn't feel a strain on my back, no cramps, and I felt comfortable even with the stock handlebars. the reach seems fine for me. and my butt didn't feel numb. Maybe i just got used to it. I'm 5' 8" 200 lbs medium build. wind protection, on the other hand, is the only gripe but only at higher speeds. (75+mph) otherwise it's not a bad ride. I use 3/4 helmet on local rides and 3/4 with face shield on the longer, faster type rides. The shield helps tremendously. You do have to stretch your legs once in a while but you do that anyway when stopping for gas.

good luck with your project. let us know how you make out.

Old 06-21-2016 | 10:46 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Not my thing but it's cool your going against the grain and trying to make a bike you love into something more.

matte (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 11:02 AM
matte
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Not a fair comparison but I have a '05 Deuce and an '02 FLHT. Made several 500 mile days on the Deuce, loaded with a large tour bag and one saddle bag and while fatigued at the end of the day, it was tolerable. Bought the '02 FLHT used, beefed up motor, some cosmetic changes and first long trip was a pleasure. Not only was the bike more comfortable but baggers handle so much better than say a Deuce or Breakout. I think if the OP ever made a long trip on a bagger; he would see the light........
Sometimes ignorance is a bit of bliss. I put 35k miles on my first bike (2005 FXDL) over 10 years without a windshield and never really had an issue. Fatigue for sure on the long trips, but mostly wind and nothing an every 100mi red bull wouldn't fix. My breakout needed a bar swap immediately due to my back, but since then, it has been an exceptionally smooth ride on the long trips even with the stock seat. And each *long* trip I've made has been straight shots for 8-9 hour stretches. Reality is I can't justify two bikes and I still like the fun looking bobber when I am not touring (which is most of the time). Hopefully when all is said and done, it will look fairly streamlined. Even if not, it will at least be functional

Old 06-21-2016 | 12:17 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer

Ugly AF in my opinion, but....I can respect what you've done.

Your bike, your way. Good for you!

Quick Reply: breakout bagger