Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike not starting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:59 AM
JoshR84
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike not starting when hot

Ok I searched about the hot start problem and most of them sound like they turn over just don't fire when warm. My bike will start and run great when it's cool but after I drive it and shut it off it doesn't want to start it just get a click. After it cools it fires good. Battery is new just replaced it. Is the starter bad?
The bike is an 08 sucker punch Sally's with a rev tech 88 engine. 6 speed open primary chain driven

Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your bike is going to be a lot harder to start when hot both on your battery and your starter due to compression. I would guess your battery is bad and start there.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Improper tune.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 AM
JoshR84
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 98fat
Your bike is going to be a lot harder to start when hot both on your battery and your starter due to compression. I would guess your battery is bad and start there.
The battery is only 2 months old. I'll check the voltage on it to make sure.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Can you move the bike shut off, in gear when hot? I had a old bike that occasionally the pistons would get tight if it got hot and although it would keep running, it was too much for the starter if I shut it off. I knew I could start it again if I could get the motor to turn by pushing the bike.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

How Do I Start A Hot Engine In Summer?

A couple of excerpts:

The most common reason why a hot engine will not start is because the problem is related to fuel. When your car engine is too hot, fuel cannot circulate well, due to the way vapour obstructs it workings and therefore the engine just will not start, as it should.

Fuel injected engines do not experience this problem as much as other engines, because the fuel remains inside the injectors under high pressure. Owing to this, fuel injected engines do not become so easily subjected to vapours as other engines. Therefore, the vehicle does not have the same issues when it comes to starting a hot engine.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:27 PM
98fat
Tourer

Well start with the cheap stuff first. If battery tests OK, check connections especially the ground. Unhook your battery and clean terminals use a little electric grease and reconnect. It could simply be a bad connection. If you have access to another good battery swap em out and try it hot. Could be starter going out but I would try the other stuff first. I would also get it hot and take your plugs out and see if it will turn over. If it clicks with the plugs in but not with them out well....then its a bad connection, a short somewhere, starter or battery most likely.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:30 PM
JoshR84
6th Gear

Well I tried it this after noon and it did the same thing wouldn't start at all and the bike is cool. I tested the battery and it is full charged. I went and bought a new starter relay and put it in and it fired right up haven't had time to drive it and see if it still does it when it's warm but i hope it fixed my problem

Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 PM
raynemaeker
Intermediate
Default no start when hot

when mine did this it was the electronic ignition. to check put ice or something cold against the outside of it on the casing to cool it down. i found this out by accident i put a cup of ice on my pedal while i was checking other stuff and it cooled it down and it started.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:29 PM
JoshR84
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 98fat
The starter is good and battery is tested them. Battery volts good and can start it by hot wiring starter to battery

Quick Reply: Bike not starting when hot