Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-map on Slim S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:25 PM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default re-map on Slim S?

Is it necessary to have a Slim S re-mapped if adding V&H slip on mufflers? I have heard yes & no from 2 separate dealers.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Necessary?

Take what I am about to say from a guy who knows not so much about EFI bikes. I am just now learning about the two I recently bought. I've been running carved bikes for 30+ years and did a lotta hot rodding as a kid. But, I am OCD as all gt out and have been reading a lot about tuning and EFI.

I bought my wife a Sportster a few weeks ago. It's got about 1800 miles... It's got the stock exhaust and stock air cleaner. The header pipes are blueing. That tells me that its running lean for the factory, with factory accouterments... It also tells me I should probably pick up a a tuner for it pretty soon.

I also recently picked up a Slim. It had a high flow air cleaner and an free flowing exhaust... and a lot of pop and crack on decel. Plus, the pipes are really quite blued. I don't think he had it tuned. One of the very firs things I did was buy myself a V&H FP3 and been really happy with that decision. It really woke up the bike.

A lotta guys say you can get away with exhaust changes, the O2 sensors will adjust accordingly. I would probably agree that it will adjust and run just as well as it did stock... But, why not take a few extra bucks and make it run better? I dunno.... Just makes sense to me.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Get it mapped or purchase a after market tuner

Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

For just slips, no it isn't necessary. An aftermarket tuner may help in a few areas and will be handy for future upgrades though.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Edders
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am by no means knowledgeable in this field, but I can tell you I have a Slim S with V&H Slip Ons, and also a Power Vision. I am happy with the perceived performace boost.

I say perceived because I have no real proof or reliable benchmark, but subjectively my bike feels stronger with the Power Vision, the map file 16S103002303.pvt (the map description reads "Year: 2016 Family: SOFTAIL High Flow Air Cleaner, Rinehart Slip-ons"), and a few auto-tune runs.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:32 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by durtyburt
Is it necessary to have a Slim S re-mapped if adding V&H slip on mufflers? I have heard yes & no from 2 separate dealers.
Dealer that said yes: They want to sell you a map.
Dealer that said no: They want to sell you a new bike.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:23 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up re-map Slim S?

Thanx for the feedback, purchasing bike today ,didn't want to spend unnecessary money on tuner, but sounds like that's way to go.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:26 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 179 Likes on 85 Posts

You don't need a retune for the V&H slip ons

I bought my Slim from the dealer with them fitted and they categorically stated I don't need to retune... But happy to set me up with one of I want the slight performance boost.

Ran just fine

Old 06-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If the dealer's installing pipes...they'll flash bike so no need to bother.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Even a bone stock bike can benefit from a tune, the general rule out there is that the stock O2 sensors and the closed loop area of the factory map can handle small changes such as slip ons or an air cleaner change but not both. What this does is put the sensors out towards the edge of what they can handle compared to operating in the middle where they have the full range of their ability. The affordability and the ease of use of newer devices such as Power Vision and FP3 make tuning so much easier than before. No mod compares to a well tuned bike and these devices will tune the bike right where you ride it. Just my opinion but the next bike I buy will get tuned as soon as I get home and the retuned as mods are made.

The following users liked this post:
URGE (06-06-2016)

Quick Reply: re-map on Slim S?