Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low idle/stall HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016 | 07:09 PM
Krawfish
|
Stage IV
Post Low idle/stall HELP!

2003 Heritage Softail EFI 58K miles, Andrews 26's PCV SE II slip ons and intake. Been having a problem where the bike will run fine no speedo issues or anything else but out of no where it starts idling real low and sometimes will stall when i pull the clutch while rolling to a stop. I read a bunch of different forums which promted me to clean and change the Idle Air Control but that didnt fix it either. Anyone have any advice? I was thinking of chasing this rabbit by changing Vehicle speed sensor and engine temp sensor.

Old 06-01-2016 | 11:33 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Check the idle rpm setting in the PCV. Sounds like it was adjusted to be too low.

Old 06-02-2016 | 12:17 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior

Have you checked/changed the TPS (Throttle position sensor Part # 27629-01 )?

Last edited by S.D.M.F; 06-02-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2016 | 05:40 PM
Krawfish
|
Stage IV

Checked the TPS on my PCV and it seems fine. Another idea was that maybe it is intermittent and I will just change it.

Old 06-03-2016 | 08:09 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior

What tuning device are you using if any?
Sometimes just re-flashing the tune can clear gremlins from the system.

Old 06-03-2016 | 08:47 AM
Hazmattthecat
2nd Gear
Default 2015 Heritage rough idle, IAT, Tp, p2356

Okay fellas here's a mind thumper day before yesterday I rode in a rain storm my bike got wet as did I. All ran fine, rode next morning fine, but that evening riding home, my bike basically loses combustion, smelt either carbon burn or a relay fried. I got it running enough to salvage to the hangar. Would that rain caused all of a sudden my IAT & TP sensors to **** out with and occasional no combustion in rear jug. Before the question is asked I run a PC V stage 1 with V&H big radius pipes. Throttle cable still, not FB Wire. Throttle doesn't respond well and if you goose the throttle it will bog the engine and die....thoughts?

Old 06-03-2016 | 09:10 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master

I bet your PC V is on it's way out. Unplug the PC V and go for a ride see if that doesn't fix your problem. I've seen quite issues like this and the PC ended up being the problem.

Old 06-03-2016 | 09:29 AM
Hazmattthecat
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
I bet your PC V is on it's way out. Unplug the PC V and go for a ride see if that doesn't fix your problem. I've seen quite issues like this and the PC ended up being the problem.
I actually unplugged and removed my PC V to get it limped to the hangar, bike ran like **** but considering the 02 sensors are bypassed with the resistors. Bike cooled enough and got started still throwing IAT and TP codes, once bike gets hot it won't start. I have warranty on my bike but PC V voids it, so I may put it back to stock and roll it down to the dealer and say "what happened😳"

Old 06-03-2016 | 07:42 PM
Hazmattthecat
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Hazmattthecat
I actually unplugged and removed my PC V to get it limped to the hangar, bike ran like **** but considering the 02 sensors are bypassed with the resistors. Bike cooled enough and got started still throwing IAT and TP codes, once bike gets hot it won't start. I have warranty on my bike but PC V voids it, so I may put it back to stock and roll it down to the dealer and say "what happened😳"
So verdict PC V **** out and dynojet has complete deniability, took it off and cleared the 100 codes, started it up it popped and stuttered, then poured like a kitty, plugged PC V back in and wouldn't crank and dynojet denies it

Old 06-13-2016 | 01:33 PM
Hazmattthecat
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Hazmattthecat
So verdict PC V **** out and dynojet has complete deniability, took it off and cleared the 100 codes, started it up it popped and stuttered, then poured like a kitty, plugged PC V back in and wouldn't crank and dynojet denies it
There is a bit more complications, I have my PC V sent to dynojet research and they're scoping it out, I've rode my bike(extremely lean now) without my tuner. Has the usual lean problems high idle and runs rough until warm and hard starting. Just the other day I'm wanted to ride, so with out my tuner I did. Made it to and fro where I was going, but as I came back home pulling into the lot, my bike was hot and died, wouldn't restart, just dry crank, throwing a p0113 IAT and pO123 TPS. Now get this when my bike cools off I erase the codes and bike starts right up....ideas anyone?

Quick Reply: Low idle/stall HELP!