Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does it take so long to swap bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016 | 10:45 PM
TripleB
|
Advanced
Default Why does it take so long to swap bars?

HD dealer wants 8-9 hrs to swap bars at $90 a hour.
I read online people talking about taking 6 hrs DIY.
Clearly know-how is a big impact on time.
Lot of bars now have opens big enough to push wire in with connector attached, so no splicing or soldering.

What I am wondering is there one aspect of the bar swap that has to be the biggest pain in the *** or is it just a lot of little steps that just add up?

I am windering is th

Last edited by TripleB; 06-02-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added bike pic
Old 05-31-2016 | 11:30 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TripleB
or is it just a lot of little steps that just add up?
Yes, this.....I just installed new bars on my Rocker, about 8hrs total, but that's with new clutch and throttle cables, brake line and wiring up new chrome control housings, probably 5hrs if it was just a bar swap...... nothing difficult, just a lot of little steps!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 06-01-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2016 | 04:10 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer

And even though they fit through the bars with no cutting and splicing, running the wires was the most difficult, tedious, and time consuming part of the job...at least was my experience. I didn't time it, but it wasn't quick. I'd hate to have to pay someone to do it, that's for sure...but then I'd hate to pay anyone to have anything done, lol.

Old 06-01-2016 | 04:37 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

want new bars for my heritage. the local dealer want $1000. the local indy wants $400 to $450. care to guess who's getting the job?
here's the kicker. if you have a batwing or a shark nose the labor is the same. as a non fairing bike.

Old 06-01-2016 | 05:05 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer

My local stealership quoted me only 2 hours work to swap bar from my breakout bar to a fat bob bar.

Old 06-01-2016 | 06:58 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

Running the wires takes the longest, but only until you figure out your technique. First time I ever swapped bars, it was an 8 hour job mostly geared toward finding the best method to slide the lines. Now it's probably a 2h job most.

Old 06-01-2016 | 07:33 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TripleB
HD dealer wants 8-9 hrs to swap bars at $90 a hour.
I read online people talking about taking 6 hrs DIY.
Clearly know-how is a big impact on time.
Lot of bars now have opens big enough to push wire in with connector attached, so no splicing or soldering.

What I am wondering is there one aspect of the bar swap that has to be the biggest pain in the *** or is it just a lot of little steps that just add up?

I am windering is th

For a simple bar swap on a Softail, that's way too much time. If you want to run internal wires and possibly extend them and add clutch and brake lines for taller bars...it's still too much time.

I don't like internal wiring. Looks good, but lots of opportunity for shorts, opens and mis-wires. Look in the electrical section if you doubt this. I've done it in the past, but prefer to be able to troubleshoot on the side of the road if I have a problem.

Simple bar swap shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours. Internal wiring shouldn't add more than an hour if done correctly.

If you have to extend the wiring, or add a different brake hose and bleed the brakes it may add 1-2 hrs...new clutch cable, maybe 0.5-1 Hour.

Old 06-01-2016 | 03:25 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

I've done it 5 different times, I would think 4 hours at most would do the trick.

Old 06-01-2016 | 03:42 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

6 hours tops....pulling wires is the most tedious step....second would be bleeding the lines. I took my time and did it on a Saturday...and rode on Sunday....

Old 06-01-2016 | 06:51 PM
Berick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Yes, this.....I just installed new bars on my Rocker, about 8hrs total, but that's with new clutch and throttle cables, brake line and wiring up new chrome control housings...... nothing difficult, just a lot of little steps!!
+1

Easy job just putsy and time consuming. I did mine over the winter months and it was actually kind of fun because there was no hurry to go riding. Even better when I added up how much $$$ I saved doing it myself.

Quick Reply: Why does it take so long to swap bars?