Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC 88 Cam Chane Tensioner Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 PM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow lots of good info here. I was thinking maybe another 5-10k miles. My Wife's 01 Fatboy went 51k miles no problem. I didn't do any of the upgrades on it just did the tensioner replacements. In her case the original shoes showed very very little wear. Her bike now has 60k still running strong. However I am fearful because I had a prior experience a few years ago I bought a 2006 street glide brand new off of the showroom floor and had it maintained regularly with full synthetic its whole like and at 38k miles and being out of warranty by five years the motor blew up! Cam tensioners came apart. In my case I was very lucky because I am a
Multiple time HD customer so I was able to receive a new creat motor compliments of HDMCO. All I had to pay was labor and that was it.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:31 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I had a bottom gasket leak, at 30k, on my '03. Had the dealer repair it, and do the SE Cam Chain tensioner upgrade at the same time. The oil level pressure goes up significantly with the upgrade. It was expensive at the dealer, maybe he could use an independent.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:07 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,361 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by wmprof
I would just pull the cam cover off and inspect the tensioners. Most likely it is not a problem. Like alot of things in life, this issue is sales driven.

If you do find a bunch of debris from tensioners in the cavity, you can just replace the tensioners. You can buy a kit with gaskets and everything for less than $70.00 And you won't have to mess with it again for another 30k miles, give or take.

Just my .02
Sorry this is just bad advise...THIS is not a sales driven problem. this is a very real issue that has cause many a TC88 motor to implode. If you want to go the less expensive way there is a company that makes aftermarket shoes..DO NOT USE HD SHOES......I decided to do the whole thing with the cam plate upgrade..

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I plan to do the Cyco shoes when the time comes.

http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com

I checked my tensioners, it's easy to do, and I have comfort that mine are good to go for a good while. I'll check them from time to time, maybe every other oil change.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...with-pics.html

Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I plan to do the Cyco shoes when the time comes.

http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com

I checked my tensioners, it's easy to do, and I have comfort that mine are good to go for a good while. I'll check them from time to time, maybe every other oil change.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...with-pics.html
I'll ride the tools out to MO

Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'll ride the tools out to MO
I'll take you up on that! I've got another buddy or two with the tensioners so we can do an assembly line in my buddy's shop.

Looking forward to riding again my friend.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I priced cams/tuner/tensioners/labor an a very reputable indy beat the dealerships price by over $400 an that was using an Andrews cam...the dealership wanted to use an SE cam....HD price was around 1750 an the indy was 1300

Old 06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,296 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Sorry this is just bad advise...THIS is not a sales driven problem. this is a very real issue that has cause many a TC88 motor to implode. If you want to go the less expensive way there is a company that makes aftermarket shoes..DO NOT USE HD SHOES......I decided to do the whole thing with the cam plate upgrade..
Let me clarify. The whole idea of having to install a gear driven system is sales driven. Didn't say the tensioners don't fail.

Most HD owners won't put 30k miles on their bike in ten years, not much of a payback to spend stupid money when you don't have to.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by wmprof
Most HD owners won't put 30k miles on their bike in ten years, not much of a payback to spend stupid money when you don't have to.
I'm in agreement with this. I look at it as a maintenance thing since it's a known issue. I mean, the stockers last something like 30-to 50,000 miles?

After three shoe replacements costing a fraction of what the SE or the gear drive set-up costs, you're way up there in total bike mileage. So, I would ask if it is really worth it even over the long haul.

My deal is to pop the cam cover off once a season, inspect, replace if necessary, and ride the dang thing.

I'm not saying it's a dumb idea to switch to other set-ups. We all like to spend stupid money on our bikes after all. Personally, I'd just rather spend my money on other stuff...like gas to go somewhere, or food once you get there. Y'know, stuff like that.

If you want the high priced upgrade, by all means do so. It's a choice, not a requirement.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

I checked mine at 30K , Looked brand new.

Quick Reply: TC 88 Cam Chane Tensioner Fix