Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lamp Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016 | 07:56 AM
Deluxe_16
|
Intermediate
Default Lamp Adjustment

I recently replaced my lights with DK Custom drop in bulbs. From what I see, if anyone does not see me coming down the road they are blind or they just got blinded by the lights. Now with that said. I don't want to blind people and get flashed. I have not drove it at night yet but was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the DK Custom drop ins and not had to adjust the main lamp or if you did have to by how much did you adjust the main lamp?

Old 05-19-2016 | 10:03 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

First, you could have a search light on your bike and they still won't see it...why? You can't see what's ahead, when you're looking down at your phone playing Pac Man.

Old 05-19-2016 | 10:21 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior

I was also blinding oncoming traffic after installing the DK drop in and it took two adjustments to get the light where I wanted it. Parked the bike in the drive, marked front and rear tire with chalk, marked the top of the light pattern on the shop door with a pencil and then adjusted the light. Went too far down the first time so I parked the bike in the same spot (chalk marks)and adjusted again. Can't really follow the procedure in the shop manual as there is no "warm spot" with this bulb.

Last edited by FLS103; 05-19-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2016 | 10:27 AM
Deluxe_16
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
First, you could have a search light on your bike and they still won't see it...why? You can't see what's ahead, when you're looking down at your phone playing Pac Man.

I can agree but you have to try. I do not think that they would hear no matter how load the bike is. However, I still have it bright and load.

Old 05-19-2016 | 10:28 AM
Deluxe_16
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLS103
I was also blinding oncoming traffic after installing the DK drop in and it took two adjustments to get the light where I wanted it. Parked the bike in the drive, marked front and rear tire with chalk, marked the top of the light pattern on the shop door with a pencil and then adjusted the light. Went too far down the first time so I parked the bike in the same spot (chalk marks)and adjusted again. Can't really follow the procedure in the shop manual as there is no "warm spot" with this bulb.
I thought about doing the shop door also. However my drive way slops a little down hill then level. I guess I have to a friends house. I still want to see what people do when I am out.

Old 05-19-2016 | 11:49 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm running the OPT7 drop in bulb. Same basic light. I wound up having to give my up-down adjustment screw three turns out to lower the light enough. The actual hot spot of the new drop in LEDs is larger than the stock halogen, so lowering it a few turns puts the additional light pattern back on the ground. And the high beam pattern worked out perfectly. And MAN does that high beam throw some light!

Old 05-19-2016 | 01:35 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

As a general rule they say you should have a 1 inch drop at 10 feet. Find a level spot with a wall. Measure from ground to center of light then measure 1 inch less on the wall. The top of the "hot spot" of the light should be at your line. This works great for most applications.