Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Pyro451
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS

I believe I have read all the threads I could find on horn relocation (dozens) and still could not find a photo or confirmation I can or cannot put the stock 2016 horn between the downtubes on this bike.

I believe the cowbell will be too large for that location but thought about using a round cover like the one below.

Has anyone successfully located the stock Fat Boy horn to that location with a cover?

I would really appreciate a photo.

I have also read all the comments about not needing a horn and using smaller, quieter horns. My personal preference is to have a loud horn and the 2016 stock one meets that preference. I just don't want it in the stock location left of the engine.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Dorsai
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Pyro,

Not sure if your cover is the same size as the original, but the relocation works for me on my 2015 FLS.

Had to relocate it due to moving the coil to the original horn location to get rid of that ugly mount bar & add air circulation behind the cylinder.

You will just have to make up a jumper to reach from the existing horn wires to the new location.

Just mount it up and compress the forks all the way to make sure before riding with it in the new location.

Edit: Don't know why the pics are being rotated 90*, but you can always rotate your head - I hope...

Attached Thumbnails Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-front_1.jpg   Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-front_2.jpg   Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-side_1.jpg   Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-side_2.jpg  

Last edited by Dorsai; 05-17-2016 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pyro451 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The OP has an ABS unit between the downtubes so it's a bit more challenging.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Dorsai
Novice

The bottom of the horn bracket is about even with the top of the front pipe.

So if the ABS unit doesn't reach that high he should still be fine.

And if it is close he can always do some 'creative' grinding to the bottom of the mount. Don't really need all that extra metal anyway.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Pyro451
Advanced

Thank you Dorsai! Good to know the stock horn will fit in that space. I'm definitely going to get rid of the cowbell though.

Can you tell me if the horn itself fits between the downtubes (I see the cowbell does not) so I can maybe bend the stock bracket further back or mount it behind the cross support?

I am concerned about the horn cover contacting the front fender on a hard stop.

Mother is correct about the ABS unit, I will have to confirm the height when I get home. I do think it is below the top of the pipe though.

This forum is a wealth of info. THANK YOU!

Last edited by Pyro451; 05-17-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Pyro451
Advanced

I might be able to squeeze a simple horn cover like this one between the tubes. I'll need to measure unless someone who has done it can confirm it fits.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Dorsai
Novice

Hey Pyro,

The horn itself is in front of the downtubes. Just the lower portion of the bracket is actually between them.

More pictures for you showing close-up of the mount/horn, and how much distance is between the lowest point of the cowbell and fender.

The angle of the tape measure is same as angle of the forks so should be close for our purposes. It is showing 3 3/4" and I believe the front suspension only has about 3" of travel.

I have been riding with this set-up this spring with no problems so far. That includes Michigan potholes and a couple of hard stops for those darn stoplights that switch yellow --> red faster than expected.

I have been thinking of removing the cowbell to put it over the coil in its new location. Would then just rattle-can the horn & bracket gloss black to match the rest of the frame.

But any day that is warm enough to paint is also warm enough to ride so...

Attached Thumbnails Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-dn-tube_angle.jpg   Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-dn-tube_side.jpg   Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-cvr_to_fndr.jpg  

Last edited by Dorsai; 05-17-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Pyro451 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't know if you can do the same on an FLSTFBS but on my 09 FXSTC I've tucked it away on the right hand side just behind the transmission.

Attached Thumbnails Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS-image.jpeg  
Pyro451 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

ABS brake hoses and the coupler will be the problem. I had to go with a smaller 2 1/2" width horn from the phat book. It works for me.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Pyro451
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gaz B
Don't know if you can do the same on an FLSTFBS but on my 09 FXSTC I've tucked it away on the right hand side just behind the transmission.
That is an awesome location. Custom bracket, or was there a mounting location on the frame already?

Quick Reply: Horn Relocation for FLSTFBS