Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raise floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016 | 06:49 PM
jackafrica
Tourer

There was a twofold solution for me.

First, I purchased a set of fork tubes for the FXST series (and PS Monotubes to suit), this raised the front fork some 1 5/8". Helped immensely.

Second. Forward controls and challenge became scraping footpegs and running out of rear tyre side tread.

There is something worth checking which could help.
Has the bike rear suspension pre-load been set for the riders weight?
Details in the workshop manual, but it is easy to do. Needs a tool to turn the shock to set the preload.
This has the effect of adjusting the sag required. Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2016 | 07:15 PM
Bamjoop
Cruiser

Mine is lowered 2" all around and I ride it hard. I really only scrape on the roundabouts around here and big sweepers. But I came from sport bikes years ago before cruisers and the key is using his upper body more through the turns. I see many cruiser riders push the bike down into the turn while staying centered or more towards the high side of the leaned over bike. You lose so much lean angle that way. You will gain more turn in without so much lean by pulling the bike down after you.

Just lean your upper body forward and down into the turn a bit and then pull the bike into the lean from below. That description is a bit of an exaggeration but I don't know how else to explain it. I still have the tendency to swing my knee out some and shift my butt over as well. Just a little, nothing like my sportbike, but my buddies all notice it and give me hell for it.

But you will get way more turn in than you ever imagined without scraping as much. But look at most any aggressively ridden softail with boards(Fatboys included) and you will see road modified boards.

Old 05-17-2016 | 07:45 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

The boards aren't the only things that'll drag.

Old 05-17-2016 | 08:46 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I installed Progressive 422 shocks and set them to the tallest setting. My boards drag far less then they used to.

Old 05-17-2016 | 09:33 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jackafrica
There was a twofold solution for me.

First, I purchased a set of fork tubes for the FXST series (and PS Monotubes to suit), this raised the front fork some 1 5/8". Helped immensely.

Second. Forward controls and challenge became scraping footpegs and running out of rear tyre side tread.

There is something worth checking which could help.
Has the bike rear suspension pre-load been set for the riders weight?
Details in the workshop manual, but it is easy to do. Needs a tool to turn the shock to set the preload.
This has the effect of adjusting the sag required. Hope this helps.

I didn't know there was adjustment for the rear. We will look in the manual this weekend ans see if it shows how to do that, my Son is around 200lbs.

Old 05-17-2016 | 10:45 PM
jackafrica
Tourer

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I didn't know there was adjustment for the rear. We will look in the manual this weekend ans see if it shows how to do that, my Son is around 200lbs.
Yes, there is preload adjustment.
It is supposed to be set according to a riders weight, a number dealers don't touch it.
Detailed...
Pages 75, 76 and 77 of the 2016 Softail owners Manual.

Old 05-18-2016 | 08:44 AM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jackafrica
Yes, there is preload adjustment.
It is supposed to be set according to a riders weight, a number dealers don't touch it.
Detailed...
Pages 75, 76 and 77 of the 2016 Softail owners Manual.
Thanks for the info, we will set it soon.