Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are There Any Other Options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016 | 06:17 PM
Fat11Lo
|
Road Warrior
Default Are There Any Other Options?

What else is out there? If you wanna replace stock rear shocks and you're looking for something besides Progressive 422's and Shotgun Shock (or any other air ride for that matter SAS, Legend.....) Who else makes an improved rear suspension? I'm looking for other manufactures to research, experiences good and bad.

PLEASE DON'T POST ON THIS THREAD ABOUT HOW YOU LOVE OR HATE SHOTGUN SHOCK, THERE ARE AND HAVE BEEN PLENTY OF THREADS ABOUT THAT!!!!! AND I DON'T WANT THIS TO TURN INTO THAT ALL TOO PREDICTABLE DEBATE. I own a bike with one and I'm well aware of the pros and cons of that product. JD is a very upstanding guy and has provided great service when he needed to. Progressive 422 seem to be the most popular option out there that isn't air ride, but they also come with mixed reviews. Somebody somewhere has to have another option?????

Old 05-16-2016 | 07:56 PM
Super38
Cruiser
The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016 | 05:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
What else is out there? ...... Somebody somewhere has to have another option?????
Romove the gas cap on the softail, pull the softail out from underneath the gas cap. Insert Road King in place. Reinstall gas cap. Ride away with great handling, smooth riding motorcycle.

See how simple that is.

Old 05-17-2016 | 05:20 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Romove the gas cap on the softail, pull the softail out from underneath the gas cap. Insert Road King in place. Reinstall gas cap. Ride away with great handling, smooth riding motorcycle.

See how simple that is.

Old 05-17-2016 | 05:37 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

See how simple that is.
Once again, the touring bike owners have nothing else better to do..........

To the OP, I went through a couple of sets of Progressives that simply did hold up, I had problems with them leaking and had bolt break. To be honest, the ride really wasn't that different than the old OEM shocks.

I finally put a set of light duty Works Performance on my old Heritage. Yes, they are expensive. They are rebuildable though and they sell rebuild kits. They will even rebuild them for you if you want.

They ride so much better than the progressives. I also set the ride height up slighter higher and I no longer drag the floorboards on every turn. It handles like a completely different bike.

They have not leaked or fail in any way shape or form since I got them.

Old 05-17-2016 | 06:04 PM
SoCALSlim
Intermediate

Try Race Tech, Ive been looking into them for my bike. They have always been a great option for racing dirt and street.

http://www.racetech.com/

Old 05-18-2016 | 04:27 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

i know Howard at Motorcycle Metals is suppose to be coming up with some Ohlins for softails
don't know how the project is coming along but if he does you'd be well served to wait a while.

Old 05-18-2016 | 07:03 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

What else is out there? If you wanna replace stock rear shocks and you're looking for something besides Progressive 422's and Shotgun Shock (or any other air ride for that matter SAS, Legend.....) Who else makes an improved rear suspension? I'm looking for other manufactures to research, experiences good and bad.
When I decided to upgrade my shocks I searched high and low for all the options and it keep coming down to Shotgun Shocks or Progressive 422 RAPs and the 422 RAPs didn't have much talked on them.

I think most Softail complaints about the ride is simply that those who bought a Softail misinterpreted the word "Softail" in that thinking it was a softer ride than any other Harley, where-as we all know that's not the case.

I also believe most riders would be better served if they learned to properly adjust the OEM shocks.
I get bewildered when I read about those who have others adjust their shocks, because I know every shock setup is a custom adjustment and a "default" adjustment just doesn't work. How can someone other than the rider make the right adjustment?

The adjustment is a trial and error thing and it takes some time to find the "sweet spot".
Shotgun Shocks and 422s both have the same needs, it's a trial and error thing.
However because SS and the 422 RAPs are remotely adjusted, with them finding that "sweet spot" is a lot easier.

I went for 422 RAPs not because there were a bunch of great reviews on them, matter of fact there weren't much of any reviews.
I went with them because I just couldn't find any other reasonable options out there.

I didn't want to spend north of $1200 for upgraded shocks nor did I want to go with a system that has a better than average chance of catastrophic failure while I'm on the road.
Customer service is great but what's that going to do for me on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Wyoming?

I am one of those who is happy with my 422 RAPS.
But as a disclaimer; other than OEM shocks I've never tried anything else.

I applaud your attempts to find an option other than Shockgun Shocks or 422s.
It would be nice to see other options tested and reviewed.

Whatever you decide if it's other than Shotgun Shocks, please post a review of your findings.
I say other than Shotgun Shocks not to knock them but as you mentioned there is enough reviews on them for someone to know what they are all about.

Last edited by Bluraven; 05-18-2016 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016 | 08:18 AM
Fat11Lo
|
Road Warrior

See how simple that is.
Wait a minute, I thought I saw a post from you a while back talking about missing your softail LOL

Labor wise that's a pretty easy option. Hurts the check book a little more, but in the end I don't care much for the Road King, so I wouldn't be happy.

Old 05-18-2016 | 09:37 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Wait a minute, I thought I saw a post from you a while back talking about missing your softail
Oh hell yeah. Selling my Softail was the stupidest thing I have ever done!!!
But that doesn't mean my Road King doesn't ride a whole lot better. I needed more room for two up comfort. So I bought a Road King. Funny thing though. I NEVER had a ride quality issue with the Fat Boy. Its was a space issue. The fact the RK rode nicer was secondary.

As mentioned above, you can adjust and fine tune the stock cans. One look at my posted pic and you can see my bike doesn't sit stock. The bike still has the original shocks. I spent a lot of time fine tuning them. And was quite happy with the ride.

Attached Thumbnails Are There Any Other Options?-2016-05-18-10-27-19-651065799.jpeg  

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-18-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Are There Any Other Options?