Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike swap crisis

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016 | 02:34 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

I think the reality is if you want floorboards on a Harley (softail specifically), they are going to scrape. For all of those bikes you can switch to pegs and reduce the scraping, but if your current ride doesn't scrape, boards are a priority, and scraping is a non-starter then get what you can out of your indian.

Old 05-13-2016 | 02:37 PM
Mother
Road Captain

A Road King (or any of the touring bikes for that matter) still has boards and has better cornering clearance than softails. Just throwing out another option.

Old 05-13-2016 | 02:46 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

you could always wuss out and buy a spyder

Old 05-13-2016 | 02:49 PM
Mother
Road Captain

You're asking for a time-out with that suggestion, Freak.

Old 05-13-2016 | 04:12 PM
DivineDark
|
Road Captain

Well, they made me a hell of a deal. I had to do some song and dance to get the numbers where I was wanting, but I got her there. I took the bike on the ride that I have been going on with my Indian on the back roads of Woodinville Washington and didn't have any issues with scraping. I think that I have to adjust my riding style a bit. I'll post pictures in a bit.

Old 05-13-2016 | 04:24 PM
Mother
Road Captain

Sweet! In for pics!

Old 05-13-2016 | 04:27 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Is Arlen Ness designing the Indians also. Dude not trying to be rude but that is one of the most hideous motorcycles I've ever seen. Some of the new Indians look OK but what were they thinking with the Darkhorse?

Old 05-13-2016 | 05:59 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DivineDark
Well, they made me a hell of a deal. I had to do some song and dance to get the numbers where I was wanting, but I got her there. I took the bike on the ride that I have been going on with my Indian on the back roads of Woodinville Washington and didn't have any issues with scraping. I think that I have to adjust my riding style a bit. I'll post pictures in a bit.
Ah, when was the epiphany?

If you continuously scrape footboards on a Harley, you are riding the wrong bike for you or you are riding the bike more aggressively than it is meant to be ridden. Harleys aren't sport bikes.

I'm hoping the short ride you took was enough. We aren't going see a post in the future about a Slim that scrapes footboards too much, are we? Time will tell.

Nonetheless, congrats on the new bike.

Old 05-13-2016 | 06:30 PM
Super38
Cruiser

You can always raise the rear with a standard (heritage) shock...

Course the boards fold it is the mounting brackets you have to worry about...

Old 05-13-2016 | 06:32 PM
DivineDark
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Ah, when was the epiphany?

If you continuously scrape footboards on a Harley, you are riding the wrong bike for you or you are riding the bike more aggressively than it is meant to be ridden. Harleys aren't sport bikes.

I'm hoping the short ride you took was enough. We aren't going see a post in the future about a Slim that scrapes footboards too much, are we? Time will tell.

Nonetheless, congrats on the new bike.

Not worried about it in the slightest. I've just gotten back from another 60 mile ride in the twisties and it was just fine. I got a lift or two, but nothing that gave me that butt pucker moment.

Things are looking good. I've got a list of stuff that I want to do to her, but the first thing, outside of the gauges and fp3, is the seat. I don't mind it much, but it is a bit thin... Butt started to fall asleep after my 100 miles today.

Quick Reply: Bike swap crisis