Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about air cleaner on 2008 Twin cam EFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016 | 02:05 PM
roofcrash
|
Advanced
Default question about air cleaner on 2008 Twin cam EFI

Hi! Im currently on stock air cleaner on my 08 crossbones and I would like to upgrade to the kit in the picture. after installation would it be required to make any tweaks/adjustments ? or bike would just work as with stock air cleaner ? thanks. being an EFI engine im guessing theres no tweaking/adjustments needed but I dont know for sure. Thanks

Old 05-12-2016 | 02:39 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by roofcrash
Hi! Im currently on stock air cleaner on my 08 crossbones and I would like to upgrade to the kit in the picture. after installation would it be required to make any tweaks/adjustments ? or bike would just work as with stock air cleaner ? thanks. being an EFI engine im guessing theres no tweaking/adjustments needed but I dont know for sure. Thanks
Well if your going to replace your cleaner with a velocity stack you may as well do it the right way and do the pipes at the same time and get some type tuner. just a fyi-velocity stacks are super cool looking but there is no filtering what so ever. so everything gets sucked into your heads

Old 05-15-2016 | 09:15 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Any OEM twin cam would benefit from a new tune... the EPA tunes are a little lean.

But to answer your question, and this is a general rule of thumb.

If you only change one of the following two... air cleaner or exhaust... you will virtually be the same as OEM, with no tune adjustment.

If you change both the air cleaner and the exhaust... you should retune the bike. By tune I don't mean the dealer downloads, they are just a tick above useless.

Some will argue that the ECM will account for a change in both, A/C & exhaust. They are technically correct, but you will be even leaner than OEM.

To have the bike run it's best and last longest, if you change both, retune...

Good luck, the mod sickness begins.....

Last edited by hattitude; 05-16-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2016 | 10:34 AM
roofcrash
|
Advanced

ok, I'll retune it. forgot to mention I already have vance and hines big radius exhaust added by previous owner.

Old 05-18-2016 | 01:42 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hattitude
Any OEM twin cam would benefit from a new tune... the EPA tunes are a little lean.

But to answer your question, and this is a general rule of thumb.

If you only change one of the following two... air cleaner or exhaust... you will virtually be the same as OEM, with no tune adjustment.

If you change both the air cleaner and the exhaust... you should retune the bike. By tune I don't mean the dealer downloads, they are just a tick above useless.

Some will argue that the ECM will account for a change in both, A/C & exhaust. They are technically correct, but you will be even leaner than OEM.

To have the bike run it's best and last longest, if you change both, retune...

Good luck, the mod sickness begins.....

Great information here. Thanks

Old 05-18-2016 | 08:42 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Originally Posted by HGMC_GB
Well if your going to replace your cleaner with a velocity stack you may as well do it the right way and do the pipes at the same time and get some type tuner. just a fyi-velocity stacks are super cool looking but there is no filtering what so ever. so everything gets sucked into your heads
This is the most important thing in this thread. Personally, I would NOT run anything without a filter, which means if I were you I would start looking for something different. With all the air cleaner options out there, you can find something with a similar look that actually has a filter.

Old 05-18-2016 | 09:20 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by DMetcalf
Great information here. Thanks
Ughhh this is how "factual" information is seen as the truth, urban legend stuff. Really if you change either you most likely will need to recalibrate the tune. Can you still ride the bike without doing it?....probably but all the popping, overheating and poor running will not be a good thing.

Old 05-18-2016 | 10:35 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HenryT
Ughhh this is how "factual" information is seen as the truth, urban legend stuff. Really if you change either you most likely will need to recalibrate the tune. Can you still ride the bike without doing it?....probably but all the popping, overheating and poor running will not be a good thing.
"need" is the operative word. The are many opinions on whether changing the tune is "needed", and at what point, as you make mods....

There are plenty of posts where people say it's a waste of money to retune a Stage I (A/C & exhaust). I don't agree, but there are numerous people riding a bike w/o a tune and a stage I who haven't blown up an engine... I doubt it's running it's best, but they don't seem to mind.

AN OEM bike pumps a certain amount of air. If you open up the A/C but leave the exhaust OEM, or open up the exhaust but leave the A/C OEM, the engine will pump about the same amount of air as OEM so a new tune wouldn't be "needed".

Personally, I would get a new tune on any stock bike so it will run its best. I put a new tune on a friend's '14 twin cooled, all OEM, and he swears it "woke up" his bike.

What I posted was not intended to be presented as fact, but was merely a general consensus of opinions on what I've heard/read about the subject.

Obviously, everyone should gather information until they feel confident to form their own opinions and make an informed decision.....

Old 05-19-2016 | 02:34 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Looks cool, but like others said i would not run anything without an air filter...asking for trouble with everything like sand, etc. Running right thru your engine...
I noticed kuryaken makes one similar and it has an air filter.
Not sure how much air it flows, but at least it would keep the dirt out...
Ride safe.