Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there any benefit to open belt drive primary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016 | 10:28 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
just curious, cause i have seen a bunch and have always thought about it.
There's a lot of bull in this thread from people that have never had one. I've been running one for 2 years on my Breakout, and the only thing i'd change is to go to a 2" belt instead of the 3". That's the Rivera-Primo - unlike BDL, R-P uses steel gears that don't need Locktite to stay on the splines. Also, if you call R-P they'll actually talk to you if you have a problem.

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Drop in weight, open belt is quite a bit lighter...
That's because BDL uses Aluminum, where Rivera-Primo goes the extra mile and uses steel that's stronger - and heavier. Does BDL still tell you to Locktite the crap out of the transmission shaft splines?

Originally Posted by Snowyone
Run them for years on my FXWG but went back to the enclosed chain after being standed with a broken belt twice.
What brand were you using that they broke? Did you have a guard on? I ask because a stone is the quickest way to blow out a belt.

Attached Thumbnails is there any benefit to open belt drive primary?-img_0829.jpg   is there any benefit to open belt drive primary?-img_0833.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2016 | 10:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by perki48
I ran one for years on a Shovel, there were NO disadvantages and lots of advantages on my application.
Yup haven't had a primary chain since 1978 I think and the only real disadvantage to one is they do break and you get no warning it's gonna let go.

Old 05-15-2016 | 08:32 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
In the old days it was a good way to get a motor and transmission of different vintages mated together, be it a full custom or a swap meet special.

Today, just because they look and SOUND cool. And if you rip your jeans on one, you are doing it wrong, or maybe the bell bottoms are a little too big!?!?

PS one less fluid to check and change
...+1

Old 05-15-2016 | 09:06 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

On a Softail, a belt drive would allow you to switch to mid mount pegs.

Old 05-15-2016 | 10:13 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Less chrome

Old 05-15-2016 | 12:46 PM
turbotom1052
Road Master

id have an open primary on my bike right now if i didn't live on a dirt road. Ive got a mile of riding on dirt and gravel before I get to asphalt.

Old 05-16-2016 | 12:41 PM
Tlcrawford
Stage III

Greetings everyone,

I am building up a 91FXR and looking to add a BDL 3" open primary on it. I'm told I need to be sure of what I'm buying because the FRX has unique parts to it. Does anyone know if I need a special FXR version or if I can buy a used one from eBay or CL with a high degree of certainty that it will fit? I see Dyna and Softail as options but don't know if there is a right or wrong one. I would greatly appreciate some help. I'd also happily engage in a discussion to buy a used one from one of you if you have what I need. Thank you!!! Tom

Old 05-16-2016 | 07:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tlcrawford
Greetings everyone,

I am building up a 91FXR and looking to add a BDL 3" open primary on it. I'm told I need to be sure of what I'm buying because the FRX has unique parts to it. Does anyone know if I need a special FXR version or if I can buy a used one from eBay or CL with a high degree of certainty that it will fit? I see Dyna and Softail as options but don't know if there is a right or wrong one. I would greatly appreciate some help. I'd also happily engage in a discussion to buy a used one from one of you if you have what I need. Thank you!!! Tom
FXR's have a shorter belt than the more common systems you'll see on Ebay so read carefully before you buy and they had 2 different clutch setups in them also so be sure of what you need. BDL's website has a lot of info and a phone call wouldn't hurt to find out , nothing says you have to buy.

Old 05-16-2016 | 08:12 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

I've been dodging the idea of buying an open belt set up for my rocker from Russel over at Excile. This thread is not helping my cause.

Old 05-16-2016 | 08:28 PM
RPMorey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alain
I've been dodging the idea of buying an open belt set up for my rocker from Russel over at Excile. This thread is not helping my cause.
I have the Exile drive on my Night Train and love it! The drive and clutch are Rivera Primo and the styling is all Russell. I've got about 10,00 problem free miles on mine. The ratio is a little quicker off the lights, revs quicker, top end is a little slower.

Quick Reply: is there any benefit to open belt drive primary?