Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Bars - Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016 | 07:17 AM
LedBoots
|
Advanced
Default Changing Bars - Decisions Decisions

I've decided to take the ape hangers off my FB Lo and go to a lower style...I just don't know what style yet.

I'm currently running 18 inch Wild1 Chubbies, and I'm thinking about going with something like the Wild1 Knuckle bars on 4" or 6" risers. If anybody here has done something similar on a Fat Boy, and wouldn't mind posting some pics, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hell, post pics of whatever kinds of bars you dig or think would look good and feel good on a FatBoy. My mind isn't made up yet, and anything to help me make this decision would be welcomed.

The following users liked this post:
cigardave007 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 08:16 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Lots of people like Heritage bars. They can be had for fairly cheap.

Another popular handlebar is the HD fat mini ape kit which is 12" plus the risers that come with it are 2".

LedBoots (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:18 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm just happy to see someone taking ape hangers off their bike, since they're on half of the bikes on the road. Good for you!

The following 2 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
LedBoots (05-10-2016), racerkvn (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:43 AM
LedBoots
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Prot
Lots of people like Heritage bars. They can be had for fairly cheap.

Another popular handlebar is the HD fat mini ape kit which is 12" plus the risers that come with it are 2".

I've always liked the look of the Heritage bars. I'll have to try to find a picture to see if anybody has put a set on a FB.

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I'm just happy to see someone taking ape hangers off their bike, since they're on half of the bikes on the road. Good for you!

Ha! Yeah, that's true. It seems like it's almost hard to find a bike that doesn't have some sort of ape hanger style on them these days.

I've been running apes for 15 years (this bike and previous bikes), but one of my most comfortable bikes I had was a '76 Ironhead with flat tracker style bars.

Old 05-10-2016 | 09:53 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

I swapped out my 16" apes for Wild1 WO501 (8" rise, 11" pullback) drag bars. Fits perfect and has no issues with the center console.

Just like yourself, I've been running apes for many years and just wanted a change.

LedBoots (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 10:26 AM
racerkvn
Tourer

I was running Wild 1 Chubby Knuckle Bars on my Heritage (using the stock Heritage risers), I liked them well. Nice nostalgic look. They had me leaning forward slightly but that actually helps my lower back. The stock Heritage bars killed my back after about an hour or two of riding. I also tried Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars with the stock Heritage risers and they looked great but they hit the gas cap and gauge and I like the low riser more than the bars so I swapped them back out to my Knuckle Bars. I just recently put some Bad Dad King Midas Bars on and after riding several times, I'm thinking I'm going to be putting my Knuckle Bars back on it again. The King Midas Bars look cool and are something different in the sea of Harleys, but they killed my back this past weekend after a few hours.

Knuckle Bars

King Midas Bars

The following 2 users liked this post by racerkvn:
FFeric (05-10-2016), LedBoots (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 11:37 AM
racerkvn
Tourer

Just my opinion but on a Fatboy, the knuckle bars, drag bars, freeway bars and even the King Midas bars all would look good on it. I actually have a set of Carlini Freeway bars too that I haven't installed yet. I more than likely will put them on before going back to my Knuckle bars just to see how they look and feel. They are very similar in pull back and rise compared to the King Midas bars though, so I'm not holding out for much help in the comfort department in regards to my back. So far my Knuckle bars have been my favorite. But my buddy who now has 14" apes on his bike couldn't even walk for a minute after we switched bikes one night. That's why I never understand people who post about which bars are the most comfortable. All of us are different.

Whatever you decide to go with, hit me up as I may have something you're looking for. I also have a brand new set of black 12" apes and the stock Heritage bars. I could sell the Carlini's, King Midas, stock Heritage bars or the black 12" apes if those interest you at all.

Old 05-10-2016 | 12:11 PM
LedBoots
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by racerkvn
Just my opinion but on a Fatboy, the knuckle bars, drag bars, freeway bars and even the King Midas bars all would look good on it. I actually have a set of Carlini Freeway bars too that I haven't installed yet. I more than likely will put them on before going back to my Knuckle bars just to see how they look and feel. They are very similar in pull back and rise compared to the King Midas bars though, so I'm not holding out for much help in the comfort department in regards to my back. So far my Knuckle bars have been my favorite. But my buddy who now has 14" apes on his bike couldn't even walk for a minute after we switched bikes one night. That's why I never understand people who post about which bars are the most comfortable. All of us are different.

Whatever you decide to go with, hit me up as I may have something you're looking for. I also have a brand new set of black 12" apes and the stock Heritage bars. I could sell the Carlini's, King Midas, stock Heritage bars or the black 12" apes if those interest you at all.

Thanks, man. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Old 05-10-2016 | 02:19 PM
sevebou63
Tourer

I also went from 14 inch apes to drag bars and these are hands down the most comfortable!!! WO560 CHUBBY® LOW PROFILE DRAG BAR. 14.5 pull back. Don't let the pull back scare you. They are not as close to your body as they seem to show. They are only maybe a couple inches closer than stock handlebars. Very deceiving. I will post pics when I get out of work.

Don't mind the dust...gonna wash her today...lol

Here is the URL: http://shop.wild1inc.com/WO560-CHUBB...-BAR-WO560.htm

Last edited by sevebou63; 05-10-2016 at 02:47 PM.
LedBoots (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016 | 03:12 PM
coma
Cruiser

I put on wide HD beach bars on 4.5" pullback risers. I love the feel of the Beach Bars and the look, its a comfortable ride and IMHO looks old skool bad ***. I would change one thing would be to make the risers a little shorter, 3" would probably be perfect. I might reach out to zombieperformance and have him make me a set of Beach Bars with a built in riser.

LedBoots (05-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Changing Bars - Decisions Decisions