Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016 | 09:49 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

FP3 for me. Botta boom, botta bam!

Old 05-11-2016 | 02:35 PM
eichacsj
Tourer

Originally Posted by mikee332
Thanks for the replies, now I just need to figure out what air cleaner and set of pipes would look good and sounds good on the bike. Any suggestions? 2016 heritage classic
I really like my 2" baffle Rush pipes. Then I added the billet SE AC. The Rush slip ons give a nice base tone at idle low RPM but do get loud when you open it up.

I did a custom dyno tune and my AC/Slip/Tune combination increased my torque 12 ft lbs. I thought that was huge, now with wife on instead of going up the mountain and having to down shift I can now go up in 6th. So I do not buy into the back pressure discussions.

In choosing your slip-ons you will get into another discussion; torque loss. Some say if you do a open flow slip on you loose torque, a more closed flow causes back pressure and increases torque. Good luck with that one. That discussion will be similar to which oil is better. Go with the sound you like.

Happy discussions.

Old 05-11-2016 | 08:02 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

^^ good discussion- but not overly significant. the biggest "felt" torque loss is already coming from the tall drive belt pulley ratio on 2007-up bikes (32/66 on non touring and 32/68 on touring). throw a 30t F / 68t R pulley combo on and bike will be back to pre-2007 spec, much faster and significantly more applied torque at the wheel in all gears. Pipes and a good tune are definitely important, but the biggest felt result will come from a more performance oriented overall final drive ratio. just something to consider that is commonly overlooked, and about the same cost to do as a set of good pipes.

Old 05-13-2016 | 01:30 PM
Lee Minske
Advanced

Harley's Stage 1 is a joke.......it don't really do anything. Switch to a real tuner and be able to adjust things properly as you do your upgrades and changes to your motor.

Old 05-13-2016 | 01:41 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Check with your dealer, and another dealer. Different dealers might give you a hard time.

Old 05-13-2016 | 08:03 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

In reality, most dealers won't flinch at doing a warranty repair on a stage I (air cleaner, pipes, tune) bike.....

Now obviously, if your radio quits and you have a tune, they can't deny that claim.

BUT.....

The dealers don't provide the warranty, the MoCo does. Sure a dealer can choose to turn a blind eye on anything they choose to ignore..... but that will vary greatly from dealer to dealer. As mentioned, a lot of them use it for a marketing ploy.

If you install any part from the HD catalog that is "for competition only", or alter the tune with any aftermarket tuner/map..... you COULD have a damaged engine warranty claim denied. They would have to show that the OEM condition was changed and it would have to be reasonable that this change caused the damage...

I am personally unaware of a single incident where this has happened, but technically you can be taking a risk during the warranty period if you make modifications.

Just food for thought....

PS- I have modded three bikes before the warranty was up, one 5 months after purchase..... never had an issue...

Old 05-15-2016 | 12:57 PM
turbotom1052
Road Master

Originally Posted by UHDhog
Yep. It is ILLEGAL for the dealer to deny you a warranty because of aftermarket parts. The dealer would have to prove, without a doubt, that the aftermarket parts is what cause the failure.

Stage I with FP3 is easy. Be sure to use a torque wrench and follow the manual. You won't have any issues.
its not the dealer you have to worry about when it comes to a denied warranty claim. If it were up to them they would warranty everything. Its the factory that pays the nut on warranty work. If it gets to the point where your warranty work is denied by the factory, it becomes a real hassle trying to overturn their decision. Ask me how I know!!!

Old 05-15-2016 | 01:29 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by turbotom1052
its not the dealer you have to worry about when it comes to a denied warranty claim. If it were up to them they would warranty everything. Its the factory that pays the nut on warranty work. If it gets to the point where your warranty work is denied by the factory, it becomes a real hassle trying to overturn their decision. Ask me how I know!!!
Sometimes things go your way.
I had an issue with a Switchback back in '12.
The bike was in the dealer's shop more than my garage.
After a half dozen trips for the same issue with no success I called H-D Customer Care and opened a ticket on it.
Eventually an H-D rep came out from a local field office and checked it out.
After listening to my story and a short ride he sided with me.

He even told me to meet him the next day at "another" (better?) dealer.
He ended up buying it back at full MSRP, even though it had 8K on the speedo, and he worked me up a great deal on the Slim I have now.

Old 05-15-2016 | 08:13 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jam436
Sometimes things go your way.
I had an issue with a Switchback back in '12.
The bike was in the dealer's shop more than my garage.
After a half dozen trips for the same issue with no success I called H-D Customer Care and opened a ticket on it.
Eventually an H-D rep came out from a local field office and checked it out.
After listening to my story and a short ride he sided with me.

He even told me to meet him the next day at "another" (better?) dealer.
He ended up buying it back at full MSRP, even though it had 8K on the speedo, and he worked me up a great deal on the Slim I have now.
Man, all I can say to that is WOW! You got some juice with somebody.

Old 05-16-2016 | 09:09 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
Man, all I can say to that is WOW! You got some juice with somebody.
That's nothing.
That was the 2nd bike bike they bought back from me at full MSRP that year...
The first was a '12 XL883L Sportster SuperLow I bought after not having a bike for most of the last 20+ years (marriage, kids, college, etc... you know the drill).
I wanted to get back into riding once the last kid graduated so...

After having that SS for only three weeks I decided it was too small, so I took a ride back to that first dealer to see what else might fit the bill.
I no sooner walked into the showroom when the guy who sold it to me came running.. and before I could say a word he said "I've been trying to call you, would you be willing to sell me that bike back? - I'll make it worth your while".

Turns out he had a long-time customer that came in and requested that exact bike, right down to the color (red), and I guess I had the only, last one in a three county radius...
Being as it had less than 500 miles on it, he took it back, cancelled my loan (I hadn't even made a payment yet), returned my deposit in full, PLUS he gave me an extra $500 in store credit for my trouble.

The "buyer" turned out to be a woman in her 60's who wanted to be able to touch the ground flat-footed.
That's how I wound up on that '12 Switchback.
I rode that home that day.

Talk about being in the right place at the right time...

Quick Reply: Stage 1 upgrade