Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some intake advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM
ChaosJr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some intake advice

So I am new to the Harley World, just bought my first one 2015 Breakout. Just ordered my new set of pipes and going with Vance and Hines big radius 2 in 2 and got the fp3 coming on its way also.

I thought I had the intake figured out but now I am lost again. I am trying to go with a nice blacked out bike with minimal chrome and just not a fan of all the cnc cut air intakes I keep seeing like the Ness or RSDs. I would love to go with a nice back plate, a k&n filter, and a simple designed air cleaner cover.

The one I have been looking at is the Dark Custom No1 Harley cover but noticed it has the 5 screw design and all the filters and intakes seem to take the center bolt. I have been driving myself crazy reading everyone's post trying to see if there was an adapter plate or something I could screw the Harley version on to or something or if there is one of that already uses that. I like the simple Willis g skull too but every cover offered is chrome and comes with that same 5 screw design which I think looks better then the single one in the center. I looked at Dk customs also but nothing from them really floats my boat.

I guess my question is, is there a all gloss black Willie g skull cover or no 1 black cover that would fit a breakout stage one 1 a/c? If so could someone point me to the link of that and the stage 1 it fits? I would appreciate the help brothers and sisters!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:37 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaosJr
So I am new to the Harley World, just bought my first one 2015 Breakout. Just ordered my new set of pipes and going with Vance and Hines big radius 2 in 2 and got the fp3 coming on its way also.

I thought I had the intake figured out but now I am lost again. I am trying to go with a nice blacked out bike with minimal chrome and just not a fan of all the cnc cut air intakes I keep seeing like the Ness or RSDs. I would love to go with a nice back plate, a k&n filter, and a simple designed air cleaner cover.

The one I have been looking at is the Dark Custom No1 Harley cover but noticed it has the 5 screw design and all the filters and intakes seem to take the center bolt. I have been driving myself crazy reading everyone's post trying to see if there was an adapter plate or something I could screw the Harley version on to or something or if there is one of that already uses that. I like the simple Willis g skull too but every cover offered is chrome and comes with that same 5 screw design which I think looks better then the single one in the center. I looked at Dk customs also but nothing from them really floats my boat.

I guess my question is, is there a all gloss black Willie g skull cover or no 1 black cover that would fit a breakout stage one 1 a/c? If so could someone point me to the link of that and the stage 1 it fits? I would appreciate the help brothers and sisters!
its an adapter to the 5 screw. Just check out the instructions in HD web site for that item. I bought DC #1 but did not like how much wider it made the air cleaner. I had it on the sock air cleaner. So it sits in a box think I will put it up for sale.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 PM
ChaosJr
Novice

Originally Posted by HenryT
its an adapter to the 5 screw. Just check out the instructions in HD web site for that item. I bought DC #1 but did not like how much wider it made the air cleaner. I had it on the sock air cleaner. So it sits in a box think I will put it up for sale.
Okay, that makes so much more sense now. I don't know why it didn't say an adapter was required or like a link to the adapter. How much more does it stuck out? I was thinking of getting one off line and just the backing plate of the se stage 1 air cleaner because I heard the hd filter was bad even though it is washable and doesn't use oil. Are they really that much worse then a k&n?

Last edited by ChaosJr; 05-09-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaosJr
Okay, that makes so much more sense now. I don't know why it didn't say an adapter was required or like a link to the adapter. How much more does it stuck out? I was thinking of getting one off line and just the backing plate of the se stage 1 air cleaner because I heard the hd filter was bad even though it is washable and doesn't use oil. Are they really that much worse then a k&n?
The adapter is included in the kit. It sticks about an inch more. I run a K&N filter in the stock air cleaner assembly. The HD unit seamed to be made of paper not sure though. I don't like the idea of washing them and just pop new ones in K&N included.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:37 PM
ChaosJr
Novice

Originally Posted by HenryT
The adapter is included in the kit. It sticks about an inch more. I run a K&N filter in the stock air cleaner assembly. The HD unit seamed to be made of paper not sure though. I don't like the idea of washing them and just pop new ones in K&N included.
I might just go pick up the se stage one then and when the filter needs changed I swap it over to a k&n, only thing I'm worried about is the breathers for the oil, I heard the spit oil pretty bad. Maybe run tubes from them to the bottom of the bike?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:15 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,254 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Take a look at the Outlaw 587 Air cleaners...lots of designs and they all have External Breather Systems so that you are not putting that hot, oily, oxygen depleted air into your intake.

LINK to 587's

If you get the Sano Black one, you can put whatever design, sticker, paint, logo, etc. that you want on it.

You mentioned the Arlen Ness Contract Cut A/C's, we also have those that we have optimized with External Breather Systems, you can see them HERE.