Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016 | 03:49 AM
Techgnosis
Advanced

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I believe getting some floorboard extensions will make you much happier with your floorboards.
Those look perfect for me, would hopefully fix at least half of the issue I am having. I did a Stage 1, including swapping out the hideous football AC with one from Rolling Sands Design. It looks amazing, IMO, but it sticks out quite a bit. This causes it to get in the way of my leg, particularly when I am using the brake. I currently have to turn my foot at a weird angle and then can still only use basically my toes to operate the break (as opposed to the flat of my foot as is typical).
Is there a similar kit to move the brake pedal out (*not* forward, I am short, that would be bad) as well?

Old 05-10-2016 | 06:29 AM
greybeard122
Cruiser

Bought a 13 Fatboy last year with floor boards. Didn't like them at all. Wasn't comfortable to me. I removed them and installed the forward controls. More comfortable for me and haven't scraped them once.

Old 05-10-2016 | 08:57 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

i agree with that guy^^^

Old 05-10-2016 | 07:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Techgnosis
Those look perfect for me, would hopefully fix at least half of the issue I am having. I did a Stage 1, including swapping out the hideous football AC with one from Rolling Sands Design. It looks amazing, IMO, but it sticks out quite a bit. This causes it to get in the way of my leg, particularly when I am using the brake. I currently have to turn my foot at a weird angle and then can still only use basically my toes to operate the break (as opposed to the flat of my foot as is typical).
Is there a similar kit to move the brake pedal out (*not* forward, I am short, that would be bad) as well?
By swapping out the brake pedal arm, so it sits lower/closer to the floorboard, it will be easier to reach, the probability that the air cleaner will get in the way is greatly reduced. With this you can use the rear brakes without lifting your foot off the floorboard.

There's a pic below, and you can click HERE for more details and photo's.

Old 05-11-2016 | 11:02 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by J-S
Am I the only person to find boards less comfortable then pegs? I had a 2012 Slim and the position with the boards made my legs to want to spread all the time and was causing a discomfort in my legs like if I was always forcing to keep my legs in. Then I tried a breakout with the regular softail forwards and it felt so comfy.
I'm with you. I don't have very long legs and found that, with feet positioned to use the controls, I couldn't put my feet back on the boards. So I always had my heel on the board. It wasn't comfortable.

I thought about switching to pegs, but everybody advised me that I would miss all the flexibility of foot positioning that you get with boards. I actually only have two real positions; the uncomfortable heel-on-board position for actually using the controls and the feet-flat-but-at-the-back position when I didn't need to touch them. Both just caused cramp in different sets of muscles in my legs.

I eventually switched to the HD forward control kit, and couldn't be happier. I find it a very natural position, even on the first ride out found the peg location to be completely natural without having to wave my feet around to find the pegs. And, even though the "in control" position is perfectly comfortable, I can put my heels on the pegs to stretch out. I just came back from a trip in which I was doing 700 mile days and actually found the default position to be comfortable enough I didn't need to move them around.

Having said that, there are only a few people switching from boards to pegs (and, unlike us, mainly for looks), but plenty of people switching from pegs to boards (breakouts for example). So I guess it is a minority viewpoint. Doesn't make it wrong.

The following users liked this post:
J-S (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016 | 12:33 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I like both options. Both have their merit.

A good compromise is a set of bicycle pedals that rotate and have grippy nubs. Awesome flexibility.

I had them on my Dyna and would easy make the choice again over standard pegs.

Old 05-11-2016 | 01:03 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Dude, get yourself a set of Kuryakyn Mark IV cruise arms, pegs of your choice and bolt those badboys right on to your frame! plug and play. This changed everything for me with my Fatboy S. I have the cruise arms adjusted so that they sit level-wise between the floor board and the brake lever pad on the right side and between the floor board and the gear shift pad on the left. This allow you to rest your heal on the floor board and the of your foot on the cruise arm pegs. Very comfortable. To really stretch out, move your heels to the cruise are pegs... All day comfort. Additionally because of my long legs @ 6 '4, I'm adding the kury Brake arm extender and the extended shift arm tonight. This way I will no longer have to pull my feet back for anything.. Oh... and it looks good!

Old 05-11-2016 | 07:01 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Visual aid for my suggestion above:

The following users liked this post:
J-S (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016 | 07:27 PM
J-S
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by peg20
I'm with you. I don't have very long legs and found that, with feet positioned to use the controls, I couldn't put my feet back on the boards. So I always had my heel on the board. It wasn't comfortable.

I thought about switching to pegs, but everybody advised me that I would miss all the flexibility of foot positioning that you get with boards. I actually only have two real positions; the uncomfortable heel-on-board position for actually using the controls and the feet-flat-but-at-the-back position when I didn't need to touch them. Both just caused cramp in different sets of muscles in my legs.

I eventually switched to the HD forward control kit, and couldn't be happier. I find it a very natural position, even on the first ride out found the peg location to be completely natural without having to wave my feet around to find the pegs. And, even though the "in control" position is perfectly comfortable, I can put my heels on the pegs to stretch out. I just came back from a trip in which I was doing 700 mile days and actually found the default position to be comfortable enough I didn't need to move them around.

Having said that, there are only a few people switching from boards to pegs (and, unlike us, mainly for looks), but plenty of people switching from pegs to boards (breakouts for example). So I guess it is a minority viewpoint. Doesn't make it wrong.
The only thing I think I would miss from the board set up is the heal and toe shifting I got use to it and loved it by the end.

Old 05-11-2016 | 10:11 PM
Vision
Road Captain

After the stock brake lever and shift lever were swapped out for extended Kuryakyn brake and shifter arms:

This really finished it off for me. I'm comfortable and have so many foot positions with the boards now and I don't have to pull my feet back to shift or rear break any longer, which was a safety issue for me.