Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Slash Slip-ons vs Big Radius

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019 | 10:00 AM
donny66
Intermediate
Default Twin slash baffles

I guess it's a matter of taste...I like my pipes loud but not obnoxious like they were when I first gutted the pipes on my trike when I got it...I really like the sound of the vance and hines twin slash...they sound very healthy...just would like a little more volume...I contacted vance&Hines and they say the Revis a way to get the baffles out...but they didn't say how...so I am waiting on another reply...getting tired of the back and forth...I tried taking the 2 screws out of the end of the pipes and pulling on the baffles but couldn't move them...I dont neccesarily want to keep them out...just remove the packing and see how they sound...then go from there...Some time back I watched a video of a guy removing the screws on vance&Hines pipes and pulling the baffles out and removing the packing but they were not the slash cut like mine...I will figure it out though at some point...those screws are there for something...thx

Old 05-16-2019 | 10:07 AM
donny66
Intermediate
Default Too Loud or too quiet

I think maybe why the twinslash are to loud for u pop and too quiet for me is the length of pipe...while your stock pipes probably run the length of your bike? Mine run a long ways and all the way under the trunk of my bike...just sayin...

Last edited by donny66; 05-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PopLTK (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019 | 10:48 AM
PopLTK
6th Gear

Yeah, I agree the length and location probably make a big difference in how loud they sound to the rider. I originally had Screaming Eagle slip-ons and they weren't much louder (if any) than the stock mufflers. I put on the V&H mufflers and the difference was drastic. The quiet baffles are louder and have a deeper sound than the SE's but more tame than with the standard V&H baffles. It's all a matter of preference. Some like loud bikes, some not so loud. Nothing wrong with liking it either way.

Last edited by PopLTK; 05-16-2019 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
donny66 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019 | 11:08 AM
pat_in_the_hat
Cruiser

so i put the big shots on my fatboy. i knew i wanted it louder than stock, but not offensive. so i got the quiet baffles:
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/904...SABEgJuaPD_BwE

It was still too quiet for my taste. it was just a step louder than stock.
so i pulled the baffle out. major pain in the *** since the fiberglass gets all wadded up and the plastic wrap (that initially burns off) makes the exhaust wall sticky which grabs the fiberglass wadding. it sucked.
But i eventually removed the fiberglass and slid the baffle back in. its louder, but still not offensive and it sounds a bit metallicaly and not the best. so i tried to take them back out and drill some more holes in the end to let more air flow. but the baffles dont want to come out due to very small amounts of fiberglass left on the exhaust wall. so im just guna leave them in.

so if you want your bike just a step above stock noise, the quiet baffle is great if you plan to never remove them.
if you want to change the noise in steps until you reach desired sound, dont initially install the quiet baffle.
if i were to do it over again, id start loud and slowly make my way quieter. not vice versa

Old 05-16-2019 | 11:13 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member

It's why I never pulled the trigger on the Big Radius. Want them badly, love the look of them, but haven't heard them in person, no one I know has'em. Youtube is OK but the mics and recordings are a limiting factor to tell how loud they are. I want a bit louder, but I also don't want to have to wear ear plugs on my rides. And, unfortunately I have one or two neighbors who I don't mind

Old 05-16-2019 | 12:10 PM
donny66
Intermediate
Default Screaming Eagle

Yeah Pop...I am definitely not a fan of the SE exhaust...or the cost...Love the V&H