Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Kit question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016 | 11:15 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

how much travel is actually built into the shocks (ride height to slammed on the stops)? also if the bike were to be slammed on the stops how much space is between the tire and fender?

Old 05-04-2016 | 11:56 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

It's a good 4" or so. There is plenty of space between the fender and tire. I yanked my rubber stops and still not even close to rubbing. Some guys even grind out the swing arm so it will sit even lower. still won't rub. Only thing you have to be careful of is the drive belt rubbing on primary casing...

Old 05-04-2016 | 12:06 PM
Bamjoop
Cruiser

I have the softailloweringkit.com kit in the rear. You can choose between 1" and 2". Mine is 2". It takes about 20 minutes to install with simple tools. It really only effectively moves the mounting location of the shocks by changing the bushings and mounting nut.
I have the progressive kit in the front. They are stiffer but more planted on the road. It is harsher for sure, but there is less of a pillowy ride through the turns.

Like I said, I have no problems other than really big bumps(those were a problem before) and you just get more aware of looking for them. But I rarely ever ride two up. If I do it is only to give some chick a quick ride around the block. I know some guys want their bikes to ride like a lazy boy, but that isn't my style. I like to feel the road more and I ride very aggressively. You just need to decide what is most important to you I suppose.

Old 05-04-2016 | 12:19 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bamjoop
I have the softailloweringkit.com kit in the rear. You can choose between 1" and 2". Mine is 2". It takes about 20 minutes to install with simple tools. It really only effectively moves the mounting location of the shocks by changing the bushings and mounting nut.
I have the progressive kit in the front. They are stiffer but more planted on the road. It is harsher for sure, but there is less of a pillowy ride through the turns.

Like I said, I have no problems other than really big bumps(those were a problem before) and you just get more aware of looking for them. But I rarely ever ride two up. If I do it is only to give some chick a quick ride around the block. I know some guys want their bikes to ride like a lazy boy, but that isn't my style. I like to feel the road more and I ride very aggressively. You just need to decide what is most important to you I suppose.
Sounds like your riding style is similar to mine, only I only ride so now that my wife has her own bike.
I on the other hand am a smaller body size than you weighing only 160lbs and stand at about 5'.7" and worried bout hat by lowering my Slim that I would encounter many scrapes from the primary which at this moment are still virgin. Not the same for the floor boards though.

Old 05-04-2016 | 02:34 PM
Hellbilly562
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Sounds like your riding style is similar to mine, only I only ride so now that my wife has her own bike.
I on the other hand am a smaller body size than you weighing only 160lbs and stand at about 5'.7" and worried bout hat by lowering my Slim that I would encounter many scrapes from the primary which at this moment are still virgin. Not the same for the floor boards though.

Yeah...my issue is the opposite.....260 lbs @ 5-11 (the other addiction, the gym) I'll be riding with my little one but she's only like 50 or 60 lbs right now.....I think the Air Ride is going to be my best option.....I like that the wheels are the same.....don't know if changing the back to taller tire size...how that would affect the ride... ???? I'm a Harley noob so I'm trying to learn this stuff fast......

Old 05-04-2016 | 02:35 PM
Hellbilly562
|
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
It's a good 4" or so. There is plenty of space between the fender and tire. I yanked my rubber stops and still not even close to rubbing. Some guys even grind out the swing arm so it will sit even lower. still won't rub. Only thing you have to be careful of is the drive belt rubbing on primary casing...

Did that affect the ride?

Old 05-04-2016 | 03:19 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I would put in the effort to pull some height out of the fender over slaming your bike. Going down too far will give a tilted back look without lowering the front. On top of that you will scrape your boards on every turn. If you go down too far your bike will ride like a hardtail and beat you up.

The following users liked this post:
Hellbilly562 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016 | 05:57 PM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Default www.shotgunshock.com

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
Yeah...my issue is the opposite.....260 lbs @ 5-11 (the other addiction, the gym) I'll be riding with my little one but she's only like 50 or 60 lbs right now.....I think the Air Ride is going to be my best option.....I like that the wheels are the same.....don't know if changing the back to taller tire size...how that would affect the ride... ???? I'm a Harley noob so I'm trying to learn this stuff fast......
Check out our softail adjustable air suspension, we are located in so cal and would be happy to do the install.

Hellbilly562 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016 | 07:41 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

I onestly would not put in the effort of lowering my suspension, unless I increased wheel hight by equal amounts.

Old 05-04-2016 | 08:42 PM
TXNT
Road Captain

I know its not a slim but...I installed progressive 422's w/rap on the back of my night train and progressive struts in the front. Lowered both ends 2". I ordered HD shocks, big mistake, should have gone standard because its rough, but it is adjustable. Hope this helps. I agree now that shotgun shock would have been better alternative albeit more expensive.

Hellbilly562 (05-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Lowering Kit question