Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Pat3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - Limp Mode

2014 CVO Softail Deluxe - One morning last August, I tried to start my bike and it wouldn't start without giving it full throttle and maintaining full throttle. Before burning out the starter motor, I let it sit for a half hour and tried it again. This time it started right up as if it was just a random fluke. At the time, my bike had 2300 miles. I rode it for another day and then it died on me about 15 miles from home (fortunately not farther) with the same symptoms - it wouldn't start without giving it full throttle and then I discovered "limp mode". I was able to limp back home at about 15 mph, loaded it in my trailer and dropped it off at my local Harley dealer. They replaced the induction module and it had behaved nicely until yesterday when it died on me again two blocks from home. This time, the "check engine" light came on and I was able to limp back home again. Sure enough, after putting it back in the garage and letting it sit for an hour, just for grins I gave it another try and it started right up. The bike now has 3100 miles on it. I'm skeptical that my Harley dealer is going to be able to diagnose this intermittent problem so I'm wondering if anyone has some guidance for me or possibly experienced the same (or similar) problem with their bike. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I had a very similar problem with my 2010 Ultra. At first I thought it was the throttle grip sensor, wrong part replaced. There is a wire harness protected on the newer bikes that goes into the throttle body. The very bottom wire on that harness,(black wire with white stripe) was broken internally. If you look closely at one of the pictures you will notice the insulation was worn away. I stripped it, spliced it with an aviation environmental splice and everything is as good as new. Before throwing a lot of money at this problem check this harness and make sure it is good.

If you can get the bike started and running, and wiggle this harness and if you get a check engine light and the bike goes into limp mode you might be in the right area. There was a known problems with these connectors getting fretting corrosion, and they could be cleaned and with a liberal application of dielectric grease it helped reduce the re-occurrence of the problem.

If your problem is not there, there are numerous places the problem can reside, such as the throttle grip sensor, or the throttle body it self.

I hope this helps you find your problem.

Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light - Limp Mode-img_1286.jpg   Check Engine Light - Limp Mode-img_1287.jpg  

Last edited by Rick's Ultra; 05-02-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Educate me. What is limp mode? I've never heard of it..

Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master

You get to idle, almost no input from the throttle. Maybe 15 MPH max for the duration of your ride home.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Pat3
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the insight. My HD dealer picked up the bike today. We'll see what they find, if anything. It may change my plans for rides this summer since I can't enjoy a ride if I'm worried about the bike breaking down out in the middle of nowhere. You'd expect more for the $$$ you pay for a CVO.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master

Let me know what they find. I am interested.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 PM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

Curious if any work has been done to the bike other then this module?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's Ultra
I had a very similar problem with my 2010 Ultra. At first I thought it was the throttle grip sensor, wrong part replaced. There is a wire harness protected on the newer bikes that goes into the throttle body. The very bottom wire on that harness,(black wire with white stripe) was broken internally. If you look closely at one of the pictures you will notice the insulation was worn away. I stripped it, spliced it with an aviation environmental splice and everything is as good as new. Before throwing a lot of money at this problem check this harness and make sure it is good.

If you can get the bike started and running, and wiggle this harness and if you get a check engine light and the bike goes into limp mode you might be in the right area. There was a known problems with these connectors getting fretting corrosion, and they could be cleaned and with a liberal application of dielectric grease it helped reduce the re-occurrence of the problem.

If your problem is not there, there are numerous places the problem can reside, such as the throttle grip sensor, or the throttle body it self.

I hope this helps you find your problem.
I had the same symptoms on my 2012. It was corroded terminals on the Throttle position sensor connector. Dealer replaced terminals. When I got home I added electrolytic grease, and a big shrink tube on the connector. Fine for 2 years...knock on wood...

Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pat3
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the insight. My HD dealer picked up the bike today. We'll see what they find, if anything. It may change my plans for rides this summer since I can't enjoy a ride if I'm worried about the bike breaking down out in the middle of nowhere. You'd expect more for the $$$ you pay for a CVO.
Everything has problems, I have 65,000 miles on my ride with minimal problems. I think when your bike gets fixed you can ride it with no worries. But, I never leave home without my cell phone, credit card, and my AAA membership card. I have the 200 mile towing option. Takes away a lot of the worry about getting stuck out in the boonies and having to pay a fortune in towing costs.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Pat3
1st Gear

To answer fireman64's question, yes, I had Vance and Hines pipes and the fuel race kit software installed on the bike before I took delivery it. So the modifications thus far are the pipes, software and new induction module. The service tech called me yesterday and told me there were two fault codes stored. One was a fault code from last year before they replaced the induction module (don't know why they didn't clear it) and the other was a fault code for limp mode confirming to them that my bike did indeed go into limp mode the other day. He also told me that if it was the throttle position sensor, there would be a separate fault code for that. Here's what I'm hoping is the silver bullet... the mechanic also found one of the three connectors to the central computer was not fully connected (seems kinda important!). I'm hoping that my problem will be solved by simply connecting a connector. The mechanic also took my bike for a test ride and wiggled the wires going into the throttle body while he was cruising down the street, and didn't find anything. I should be riding my bike again by the end of week and hoping I'm not that guy crawling along the shoulder at 15 mph with his flashers on

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Limp Mode