Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look Ma - No ThrottleBody!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016 | 07:12 PM
LA_Dog
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up Look Ma - No ThrottleBody!

Had some spare time today so swapped out the stock 46mm TB / 3.9 injectors for a 50mm with 4.9 SE injectors. this was a stock 2007 TB I go off ebay and had it bored w/ new butterfly. install went fine just working on putting together a tune file for it.

have had some issues tuning in the 57h cams so figured since my tuning is a mess I might as well put the TB / injectors in now and get it all done at once.

Lots of oil from the breathers into the TB/ see the closeup pic of the rear cylinder intake port. yuck. Will definitely be venting the breathers externally shortly.

last photo is the bored 50mm TB on left and the stock 46mm TB on right. Figured some of you might like to see this taken apart- it's really not that hard to swap it out and did not need to fully remove the gas tank.

Old 04-29-2016 | 07:22 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

Those look like totally different TB's. How to you cross over all the connections?

Old 04-29-2016 | 07:25 PM
LA_Dog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Everything is all the same. took sensors and parts off stock TB and moved them over to new TB. same/same. the shape of the front of it where the AC bolts up is different around the outside, but all the bolt holes are same and it fits just the same, with same gasket etc.

Old 04-29-2016 | 08:45 PM
Dalt10
Road Master
Veteran: Army

If you go to the external breathers look at DK Customs. They have a few different options. After seeing your intake port I'm glad I went to the external breather on my new bike.

Old 04-29-2016 | 09:06 PM
LA_Dog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Dalt- I will be doing a "LA_Dog custom" on it- was checking out how I'm going to do it and it should come out nice. you definitely made the right call w/ external breathers- way too much oil puke up in there.

I got the bike fired up a moment ago and Wow! sounds a lot different- sounds like a beast now, the exhaust tone really changed. good cadence too. I only idled it for a bit to make sure I got everything buttoned up ok, no air leaks, no fuel leaks, sensors working, etc, watching MAP and AFR on the PV gauges- all good. tomorrow is test ride and tuning.

Old 04-29-2016 | 09:16 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

I ran a hard line with AN fittings for my head breather set up, much cleaner looking than the rubber fuel hoses. It is ran to a vented Jaz mini catch can. Small section of rubber hose between hard line and catch can to absorb vibrations.

Old 04-29-2016 | 10:05 PM
LA_Dog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

^^ Yeh that's nice- hardline is a lot cleaner even though it's extra effort. I'm going to do similar but route the lines upward then rearward under the tank and along the frame, maybe down near the swingarm under bike / small bottle. did similar on my Evo and learned that routing lines upwards provides a natural air break and not much oil ever comes out. routing down, gravity will pull any oil out and it never has a chance to settle back. My breather setup will be a bit different since I have the heavy breather bracket and the chrome caps over the head breather pockets. I'll need to machine a hole in the caps to route the line into the breather bolt and it will slip right over it.

BTW thanks for lending me your tune file- I used some elements of it for my new tune. it was a very good reference.

Old 04-30-2016 | 01:21 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

That is AWEsome! You are a man after my own heart, DOG. So much parts swapping and fiddling that I don't even bother with the scheduled service and maintenance. It gets done along the way...
I'm actually thinking of swapping out the EFI to go carb, just to see if I can...well, more so to see if I like it. I KNOW I CAN! Ha,ha...
Actually, I wish I could be more like you and take the time to analyze things the way you do and contribute more to the forum, here. I just hate stopping along the way to take pictures and add screen shots, etc...

Old 04-30-2016 | 08:44 AM
Kburgad
Tourer

Fls I forgot to ask last time about the hard lines. What did you use for the attachment bolts to the engine? La dog has a good point, slow down the air by going up if there is any oil it will drain back down. As I was reading I was thinking if the lines go up then you would never get any oil of it. Wait a second that's the point.

Old 04-30-2016 | 10:34 AM
LA_Dog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
That is AWEsome! You are a man after my own heart, DOG. So much parts swapping and fiddling that I don't even bother with the scheduled service and maintenance. It gets done along the way...
I'm actually thinking of swapping out the EFI to go carb, just to see if I can...well, more so to see if I like it. I KNOW I CAN! Ha,ha...
Actually, I wish I could be more like you and take the time to analyze things the way you do and contribute more to the forum, here. I just hate stopping along the way to take pictures and add screen shots, etc...
thanks bud - you have been making some pretty decent mods and sharing good info as well. who woulda thought to use school backpacks as cool saddle bags? that took some thought and analysis. certainly nice to have you on the forum.

Good luck with the TC and carb- Daytona Twin Tec makes the conversion kit you need, it's about $600 USD. https://b883d995180559007358166b248f...bfb104c952.pdf

Quick Reply: Look Ma - No ThrottleBody!