Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016 | 11:41 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThePostman
Those look great. First I have to get the crash bars. When I showed my wife you bike she bought me the Reckless Fairing for our anniversary.

Nice gift from the Wife.
I kinda got mine in a similar way.

Really like the fairing.
Not the look for everyone but works well for me.

As for your wobble problem; try the Ride On.
It really smooths things out.

I'll never go without it again.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/353-177

Old 05-04-2016 | 02:21 PM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
I know you said it can't be the fairing, but I have seen them cause issues, especially on a super soft sprung softail front end. If you take the fairing off does the wobble go away?
Yes, why do you think it can't be the fairing? I rode about 2k miles with a friend of mine last week. He rides a Heritage and usually goes without the screen, but put it on for this ride. He reported a slight wobble, which went away when he removed the screen. I found that the Memphis Shades bullet fairing I very occasionally use also causes a slight wobble (although at 20-30mph) and would cause a tank-slapper if I let go of the bars. Both bikes are perfectly smooth without the fairings.

Old 05-04-2016 | 05:51 PM
ThePostman
|
Intermediate

Well I found out what caused the wobble. It was the Lowers or Fans as some people refer to. I removed the lowers and the wobble went away. The reason was with the windshield the lowers will the direct the air straight up behind the windshield eliminating the buffering effect.

With the Fairing you still have the same effect but the Fairing has those speakers enclosures that the Lowers would direct the air to. That was causing the problem. I rode the bike placed my hand under the speakers and that's when I realized what was going on. Once I removed it it went away. Now I can go 80, 85 and no problem.

No wonder I never saw lowers with fairings. Always with windshields.

DAMN, I love the lowers. I thought it made my bike different. Oh Well.

Thanks Guys for your input.

Old 05-04-2016 | 06:57 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

No wonder I never saw lowers with fairings. Always with windshields.

DAMN, I love the lowers. I thought it made my bike different. Oh Well.

Thanks Guys for your input.
I have the "lowers" with my Reckless Fairing and I have absolutely no wobble.
I do have a different style of fairing but I doubt that would make a difference.

I also have a LRS recurve windshield on (not the one in the picture below).
I was running "Ride-on" prior to the fairing install so perhaps that is what keeps the wobble away.

Strange.

Old 05-04-2016 | 10:21 PM
ThePostman
|
Intermediate

Blurave you're killing me. LOL
What are the odds?
I have the Dark Night Reckless version. I uploaded some photos to explain what I'm talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail-20160504_204810_resized.jpg   Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail-20160504_204854_resized.jpg   Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail-20160504_204929_resized-2.jpg   Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail-20160504_205030_resized-2.jpg   Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail-20160504_205221_resized.jpg  

Old 05-05-2016 | 06:58 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Blurave you're killing me. LOL
What are the odds?
I have the Dark Night Reckless version. I uploaded some photos to explain what I'm talking about.
I guess I don't understand what you feel the cause of the wobble is.
Are you thinking the air flow past the speakers is causing the wobble?

I have the same speaker setup but no wobble.

As for the fangs, I always felt that they deflected the air outward and around, not downward and behind.

I still think you've got something else going on since I basically have the same setup; Heritage with a Reckless Fairing with 4 speakers and lowers but no wobble.

Old 05-05-2016 | 07:50 AM
ThePostman
|
Intermediate

I haven't been able to ride the bike the bike lately due to having a Gout attack on my left thumb. Gout hurts like a mother.

I called my Harley dealer to make an appointment to check the tires and everything you guys suggested. Then I will put my fangs back on and see ehat happens.

Thanks. By the way your bike reminds me of Batman's belt. It has all kind of gadgets. Functional and it looks good.

Old 05-05-2016 | 09:41 AM
donutsrd
Cruiser

maybe he means buffeting?maybe there were grooves in the road he was catching? maybe the conditions will never repeat themselves again?idk.

Old 05-05-2016 | 11:48 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master

OK, I will pipe in. Have a 16 Heritage. Just put the fangs on. Yesterday on the freeway I noticed some "movement" that was not there before the fangs. Again, it was on the freeway and there were a ton of cars and 18 wheelers buffeting up the aair. Did not feel dangerous, just there. I set the cruise and took my hands down and it was not intrusive to the stability. Think it will just take a bit of getting used to in buffeting situations. I agree with postman, it has to do with the change of air around the bike with the fangs on. Today I will push it faster to see if it is a problem.

Old 05-05-2016 | 01:42 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
I agree with postman, it has to do with the change of air around the bike with the fangs on.
Don't get me wrong I'm not stating that what postman is experiencing isn't related to the fangs, only that I have practically the identical setup (other than I have an 09 Heritage) and I don't have any wobble.

As noted in an earlier post, perhaps the reason I don't have a wobble is due to me running Ride-on which may be compensating for the issue.

BTW the reason I put in the Ride-on was due to the infamous decel wobble at <35 mph.
Once I put it in both tires the wobble disappeared.
I don't even ride with wheel weights anymore.

Quick Reply: Slight wobble on my 2016 Heritage softail