Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016 | 04:35 PM
bbmach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Prot
If nothing else, it might give you some ideas for the Fat Boy S.

To me, Fat Boy S with black fat mini apes, detachable windshield with the black braces, and detachable deluxe style bags from Boss Bags with the optional wheels would make a versatile sweet ride.

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
Fwiw I think the tq numbers between the 103 h.o. and the 110 is like 7 or 8 fps. Otherwise seems like the same bike (does the S model have cruise this year?, does the Regular Lo?) but the listing retail price on site is 2200.00 less for regular FB Lo. Smart money may be to just go regular + stage one and have more power than the 110 bike, run cooler, and still save some of that 2200.00.
It's a 10% difference - 98 to 108 lb ft. And I'd add a pipe, air cleaner and tune in the first month, so it'll only go up from there.

As “she” says, there is no substitute for cubic inches! Everything in this worldis a compromise, but I’d rather start out with the extra cubic inches and torque…

Old 04-27-2016 | 12:45 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

You can't compare a stage 1 103" with a stock 110" and say they are virtually the same or the 103" has an edge over the 110".

Now if you compare a stage 1 103" to a stage 1 110", that is a real comparison, and the difference becomes greater with the 110" obviously winning out.

Fat Boy Lo does not have as many black parts as the Fat Boy S.

In terms of appearance, I rank them as follows with what I think is the best color of each.

Black Denim Fat Boy Lo - looks ok, but not quite right

Black Denim Fat Boy S - looks ok, better than the Lo but could be better

Vivid Black Fat Boy Lo - getting better but could use improvement

Crystal White Ice Fat Boy Lo - looks great but would look better with chrome reeper wheels or chrome regular fat boy wheels

AmberWhiskey Chrome ***** regular Fat Boy - looks fantastic and is probably a good value as they are only available used. This would probably be my choice if my old Heritage was stolen or something awful happened to it

Vivid Black Fat Boy S - looks great as is and still looks good with a few accessories

Although not a factory option, I think the Crystal White Ice or crushed ice whatever it is called might look cool on the Fat Boy S since it is more blacked out than the Lo. On the other hand, it might look too much like a cop bike.

No, I am not getting rid of my Heritage. They don't make them like this anymore. Evo engine (read simple and no balance shafts and one gear driven cam), no can bus, no abs, no fuel injection, just a simple carburetor). queue Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man

Old 04-27-2016 | 04:34 AM
Rocket Rider
Tourer

SLV is correct about the about the heat of the S models. DK Customs has an interesting article addressing the topic, and various ways to prevent excessive engine heat and improve rider comfort. http://dkcustomproducts.com/Why-How-...CL-TC-DN-1.htm (There are two parts to their article... the link above is only the first part). I haven't measured temperatures on my Slim S, but there is a noticeable difference between it and my Road King.

Old 04-27-2016 | 05:28 AM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

That article does not state the 110" is any hotter than the 103"

It simply states twin cam engines run hot and 2007 onwards run hotter than previous years.

It gives advice on several methods to run cooler.

It also talks about Wet Heads.

You sit more or less on top of the oil tank on your Slim S and on your Road King you do not.

I am not arguing that newer twin cam engines run hotter than older ones or Evo's. What I am saying even in stock form they do not run hot enough to cause harm, not even with 110" of displacement. Plus there is such a thing as rear cylinder deactivation. Yes, they do run a lot hotter than my Evo, especially in stock trim, regardless of displacement.

Harley's performance engine is 120". It doesn't melt either.

All of them in stock trim run hotter than I would like but they are designed to withstand that heat. Of course the temperatures can be quite easily brought down while enhancing performance at the same time.

My oil temperature is usually 170 and even on the hottest summer day with traffic stalled for a long time, even if I don't shut it down I never get over 190 on my oil temperature. Gotta love a well tuned Evo.

Old 04-27-2016 | 06:24 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Prot. If your point is that it doesn't hurt the motor to run hot because it was designed to handle it, OK. It goes against convention when discussing internal combustion engines, but as you stated, they aren't chronically failing either.

My point was that Atlanta traffic sucks, it sucks worse than most cities in the US. The heat, humidity and mass congestion are horrible.

The 110" SE motor runs hotter than my 2013 Street Bob with the 103. Same cams, same tuner, both with exhaust and intake. My cylinder deactivation kicks in on 75 degree days if traffic stops Are too long. My Dyna did this once temps got into the 90's. There's a noticeable difference.in between the two.

I sit on a pogo seat about 6" above the oil tank, so I feel less heat, but the deactivation kicks in much earlier.

Just my opinion, but riding my Slim S every day in Atlanta traffic would be miserable. Riding a 103 in the same traffic might be equally miserable. Riding in Atlanta traffic is miserable anyway.

Given the clarification about 70mpg commutes to work and back, the S series thrives in that range.

Old 04-27-2016 | 08:04 AM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I am curious if a 110B runs hotter in stock form than the regular 110 (commonly referred to as A). I wouldn't think it would, but perhaps something is different with the oil system.

Hard to believe twin cams have been around 17 years already. Seems like only yesterday Evo's were still in production. Actually, it seems like it just about time for a new engine family.

Old 04-27-2016 | 01:19 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain

Finding an exhaust for this thing locally is damn near impossible. I finally located a set of V&H in a town about 40 miles from here. Going to be a damn cold ride tomorrow morning.

Old 04-27-2016 | 07:27 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

This cooling fan would look great on it and help keep it cool.

Old 04-27-2016 | 09:01 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

I am curious if a 110B runs hotter in stock form than the regular 110 (commonly referred to as A). I wouldn't think it would, but perhaps something is different with the oil system.

Hard to believe twin cams have been around 17 years already. Seems like only yesterday Evo's were still in production. Actually, it seems like it just about time for a new engine family.
The engineering says yes, the counterbalanced Ada's extra work which turns to heat. I doubt it's measurable. though.

The oil system is different, but it's hard to say if it takes longer to cool.

This cooling fan would look great on it and help keep it cool.

Much better looking than the jugs fans. Where did you find that?

Old 04-27-2016 | 09:27 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

I had a 2014 CVO Road King with the 110. I sold it because i didnt like top heavy feeling. One thing for sure is that 110 ran really hot. And was pretty noisy. Do i think it was going to melt itself NO. But for as hot as that thing ran i did question the LONG term durability compared to a 103. I was in the market for a new bike this year to replace the Road King. Really thought about the Low Rider S and the Fatboy S. But im not really a Dyna fan and the Fatboy S i didnt feel like the 110 was the way too go. Since the Fatboy is my favorite Harley and i missed my 2012 Fatboy Lo i decided to go with a new 2016 Fatboy with the 103HO. Just wanted a cooler running engine. And saved some coin doing it.

Quick Reply: Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?