Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016 | 04:49 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Vision
As mentioned, these bikes do get hotter quicker at idle. We're not in our warmer days in the northeast and I can tell you that the engine gets pretty hot sitting still. Yes, it can handle it and you can also opt to shut it off in traffic that's not moving. This is just speaking from practical experience with the bike. I had a lot of saddle time this weekend and I had a blast on the S, but thought to myself a few times while standing still.... This is going to be Blazing in the summer. I will invest in some mid frame deflectors if they are available. I've already changed the full exhaust, so the CAT was gone from the get go. I'm sure it runs cooler remapped.

On the HWY, it was cool as a fan. In comparison to the 103 on my 2014 street Glide, which also has no Cat, there is a noticeable difference.

Wonder if installing a 58mm throttle body will help cool down this engine a bit?
The problem with the lean condition is not the size of the throttle body. If you have a small throttle body and a large throttle body with the air fuel ratio set to lean on both, they will both run hot.

That is why a simple fix after getting rid of the catalytic converters and putting a free flowing air cleaner on is to richen the air fuel fuel mixture which is done via download / remap on these newer bikes. Old bikes like mine it is usually just a small adjustment of the carburetor with a screw driver. In fact, at least on old bikes, if you change the exhaust and air cleaner without adjusting the air fuel ratio, it will run leaner and get hotter than stock. Modern fuel injection systems can compensate for this up to a point, but it is still not a real fix.

EPA regs have it set as lean as possible without detonation. That is the exact cause of excess heat.

The following users liked this post:
Vision (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016 | 06:11 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

EPA regs have it set as lean as possible without detonation. That is the exact cause of excess heat.
This 100%. And the RESTRICTIVE exhaust (with catalytic/s). Ever pull or take a stock exhaust apart one can see how clogged up the system is. Very little flow for the heat to escape. I just changed to a free flowing exhaust and a fatter tune from FM and the bike took a lot longer to get to the where the EITMS will kick on. = cooler running engine.

Old 04-25-2016 | 07:34 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
Huh?

Everybody knows these newer bikes regardless of displacement are running lean which makes them running hotter than they should regardless of displacement. Catalytic converters add to the heat. Softails have the catalytic converters in the mufflers whereas other models have them in the head pipe. Much cheaper and easier to eliminate the converters on any Softail than on other models.

Even in stock form, you will absolutely not harm the engine on these new bikes idling in traffic. If the temperature climbs too high, then cylinder deactivation kicks in. If traffic is stalled for an hour, there is always the option of shutting the engine off if a person wants to. Again, regardless of displacement, the same holds true.

My old bike doesn't have any of that though.

It is hilarious to listen to the anti CVO or S people argue against the 110 because of heat while advocating installing a big bore kit on a smaller displacement engine such as a 96 or 103.

Do you really think that Harley would be rolling out bikes costing in excess of $25K and backing them up with a warranty that would melt? And then, that is in stock form. A few tweaks here and there and it runs even cooler.

But what do I know. Just the ramblings of a white beard carbureted Evo biker.

IMHO the Fat Boy S is the best bike in this year's lineup. Admittedly price is somewhat steep.
OK. I have a Slim S and I like it a lot, but the fact is, it runs hot in stop and go traffic. It has aftermarket exhaust, an open intake a a good solid tune.

The bike works great for me, but the man was talking about heavy traffic Nd I told him the truth.

Old 04-25-2016 | 08:30 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

He was asking about the heat in terms of harming the engine and no, it will not. It doesn't matter if your nuts are roasting, the engine will be fine.

Some people install fans such as love jugs. Others use the crotch cooler to direct air away from your body.

Also worth noting, is my old Evo's temperature came down drastically after I changed the cam.

Old 04-25-2016 | 09:01 PM
bbmach
|
Advanced

I appreciate all thoughts and opinions (and experiences) - it's been about 10 years since I've ridden an air-cooled bike, so I can all go by is my experience with the V-Rod (which like I said, has 200+ degree air blown on your right leg when the fan comes on)

I didn't say this earlier, but the idea behind the trade is to use it more on the highway - for my 60 mile round trip daily commute at 70 mph + speeds, and not so much around town. No matter what bike it is, that isn't much fun here in (at least this part of) Atlanta.

From everything I've read so far, the Fatboy S seems like the one. But of course, riding it will confirm. I can live with some extra heat, if the performance is there. And yes, a pipe, AF and tune would be the first order of business

Old 04-25-2016 | 09:58 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I suggest besides test riding the Fat Boy S, you try out a Heritage Softail Classic. The windshield and handlebar shape lends itself better to highway riding.

Yeah, you can add and change numerous things on any bike, but nothing wrong with a little comparison.

Old 04-25-2016 | 10:31 PM
bbmach
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Prot
I suggest besides test riding the Fat Boy S, you try out a Heritage Softail Classic. The windshield and handlebar shape lends itself better to highway riding.

Yeah, you can add and change numerous things on any bike, but nothing wrong with a little comparison.
Will do - Not exactly my style but I do like the wheel options, and the Cosmic Blue Pearl...

Old 04-25-2016 | 10:43 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by bbmach
Will do - Not exactly my style but I do like the wheel options, and the Cosmic Blue Pearl...
If nothing else, it might give you some ideas for the Fat Boy S.

To me, Fat Boy S with black fat mini apes, detachable windshield with the black braces, and detachable deluxe style bags from Boss Bags with the optional wheels would make a versatile sweet ride.

Old 04-26-2016 | 12:48 PM
sevebou63
Tourer
Default Answer is yes

Just bought mine and immediately installed Dunkin Hines Big Radius 2 in 1 and bought the Dunkin Hines FP3 tuner for $329.00....Much easier than DynoJet tuners. Bluetooth directly to phone....Never been easier to tune.

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?-april-14.jpe  
Old 04-26-2016 | 03:56 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master

Fwiw I think the tq numbers between the 103 h.o. and the 110 is like 7 or 8 fps. Otherwise seems like the same bike (does the S model have cruise this year?, does the Regular Lo?) but the listing retail price on site is 2200.00 less for regular FB Lo. Smart money may be to just go regular + stage one and have more power than the 110 bike, run cooler, and still save some of that 2200.00.

Quick Reply: Fatboy S - Engine Differences for Intake and Exhaust?