Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help w/negotiations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016 | 06:48 PM
Drodrigueznyc
|
Tourer
Default help w/negotiations?

I'm looking to purchase a new BO this weekend. will be trading in another cruiser but aside from that deal, is HD negotiable in their purchase price? has anyone really beat them down on price and options or are we expected to pay MSRP? (I don't think I have paid MSRP for any vehicle in my entire life)

I know everything in life is negotiable but really, how flexible are these guys? What type of discount (below MSRP) can I push hard for? what is reasonable?

Will I be able to get a new 2016 BO for under MSRP, before options like exhaust, alarm, and air filter? what about those options, can I negotiate those prices as well?

obviously this is my first time purchasing a new Harley. My sportster was purchased used locally.

I welcome all comments.. thanks!

Old 04-16-2016 | 07:00 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Every dealer is different in what they can and can't do. buying a bike right at riding season is the worst time to try and bargain. There is not a large profit margin in new bike sales.

Only thing I can suggest to keep odds in your favor is do not mention your trade-in until AFTER you have negotiated best price on the new bike, any extras, etc. if they ask you about any trade-ins at first say no. if they ask you how you will be paying just say cash + finance, whatever your plan (think of your hidden trade in as your "cash" for this initial stage of discussion).

After negotiating the sweetest deal possible, then say that you've though about it and would like to offer a trade in with your current bike as part of the deal. Take it from there, now you can just focus on getting the MOST money for your trade in instead of trying to juggle two negotiations at once (new bike price AND your trade in price). you've already cornered them on the new bike price so they can't very well backpedal on that. don;t be surprised if they come at you low for your trade in. they are just trying to salvage things and increase their margin. be firm with what you want for your bike and let them know you're ready to wrap this up now.

If you mention your trade in up front you just lost all your ammo and they have more creative ways to not give you the best deal on either. good luck!

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-16-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2016 | 08:39 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

You can negotiate other things with the dealer, don't forget discount on parts and merchandise - some will allow 90 days from purchase for discounted goods. A t-shirt of course. National HOG membership and ask them for one year of local membership too. I've always managed to get the first service thrown in for free.

Old 04-16-2016 | 08:43 PM
Drodrigueznyc
|
Tourer

Thanks. Definitely planning on keeping the trade-in a secret.. but what have you guys seen in terms of best reasonable deal before options? can I get $500 off MSRP and then move onto options negotiations? can I deduct 20% off retail on options like Security, Aftermarket exhaust and air filter? just trying to get an idea on percentage savings from MSRP.

I have BMW down to a science. I know their invoice numbers and always work from there. I have no info on HD.

Last edited by Drodrigueznyc; 04-16-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2016 | 09:08 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Every deal is different.... location, time of year, model popularity, inventory, etc. etc. I got a couple grand off MSRP on my '15 Limited Low, with none of that setup BS, others say it was MSRP or leave.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-16-2016 | 10:12 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I looked at a v rod that was sitting for a few weeks an they had it tagged $1500 off. I have the $1200 shipping/set up fee. Seems like around here dealers want msrp for the bike, especially the hot sellers, an sweeten the with x dollars of gear or upgrades or big discounts on exhaust upgrades an stuff like that. They had a demo switchback that had about 900 miles on it an it was a grand off an no shipping/set up fee.

Old 04-16-2016 | 10:24 PM
Capt Woody
Cruiser

From my own experience and what I've seen here, if you can get it for MSRP + TTL (no setup), you're doing decent. Some guys have gotten steals on some SGs in the past few months but your timing may be a little late since it will be warming up.

Old 04-17-2016 | 05:57 AM
kansei
Advanced

My dealer will offer 15% on any parts , accessory or clothing at time of purchase . With financing they are fairly solid on marked pricing . I believe they are offering HOG for the first year on new purchases also .

Old 04-17-2016 | 06:14 AM
rgrmike14
Cruiser

Truth.

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Every dealer is different in what they can and can't do. buying a bike right at riding season is the worst time to try and bargain. There is not a large profit margin in new bike sales.

Only thing I can suggest to keep odds in your favor is do not mention your trade-in until AFTER you have negotiated best price on the new bike, any extras, etc. if they ask you about any trade-ins at first say no. if they ask you how you will be paying just say cash + finance, whatever your plan (think of your hidden trade in as your "cash" for this initial stage of discussion).

After negotiating the sweetest deal possible, then say that you've though about it and would like to offer a trade in with your current bike as part of the deal. Take it from there, now you can just focus on getting the MOST money for your trade in instead of trying to juggle two negotiations at once (new bike price AND your trade in price). you've already cornered them on the new bike price so they can't very well backpedal on that. don;t be surprised if they come at you low for your trade in. they are just trying to salvage things and increase their margin. be firm with what you want for your bike and let them know you're ready to wrap this up now.

If you mention your trade in up front you just lost all your ammo and they have more creative ways to not give you the best deal on either. good luck!

Old 04-17-2016 | 06:18 AM
rgrmike14
Cruiser

I purchased my 2013 Softail Slim in February of 2014. With tax, title, and fees I was under MSRP. I simply won't pay MSRP for a Harley. The used market is absolutely flooded. I can't believe they can even sell new ones considering there's virtually no difference in a the bikes year to year.

Quick Reply: help w/negotiations?