Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help w/negotiations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016 | 12:06 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain

I would start at $500 under MSRP OTD then come up to MSRP OTD for my max. Now around me that's decent because we have 6% tax, so it depends on where you're at and what your taxes look like.

Old 04-17-2016 | 06:00 PM
Drodrigueznyc
|
Tourer

all good tips. used them all.. so here's where i'm at now.. brand new 2016 Breakout vivid black $1000 off MSRP. I am now working on my trade-in price. we are only off by another grand. I am holding firm.. I'm sure they will come up with the $1k. this is for a stock bike plus tax and prep fees.. Bike is not in their inventory. These breakouts move fast. the only one available is the gold glitter color.. not for me so I have to wait a few days for bike to arrive. in the meantime I'm making a list of simple first round options that I need installed. (Smart Security System, V&H big radius 2 into 2 exhaust and screaming eagle air cleaner) will see if I can get at least 10-20% off MSRP for these items otherwise I'll get them from Revzilla.com. (minus security)

so I guess i'm doing Ok at the moment. won't know till tomorrow. they're looking for a bike in vivid black and will let me know about the extra $1k for the trade-in.

guess today wasn't the day for me to ring the bell.. (i'm assuming all HD dealers do this when they close a deal??)

Old 04-17-2016 | 06:17 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Rang it twice in the last three yrs
See if they'll dicount their warrantee and have them throw in your first service check fo free

Old 04-17-2016 | 07:36 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
all good tips. used them all.. so here's where i'm at now.. brand new 2016 Breakout vivid black $1000 off MSRP. I am now working on my trade-in price. we are only off by another grand. I am holding firm.. I'm sure they will come up with the $1k. this is for a stock bike plus tax and prep fees.. Bike is not in their inventory. These breakouts move fast. the only one available is the gold glitter color.. not for me so I have to wait a few days for bike to arrive. in the meantime I'm making a list of simple first round options that I need installed. (Smart Security System, V&H big radius 2 into 2 exhaust and screaming eagle air cleaner) will see if I can get at least 10-20% off MSRP for these items otherwise I'll get them from Revzilla.com. (minus security)

so I guess i'm doing Ok at the moment. won't know till tomorrow. they're looking for a bike in vivid black and will let me know about the extra $1k for the trade-in.

guess today wasn't the day for me to ring the bell.. (i'm assuming all HD dealers do this when they close a deal??)
I would never put money down on a bike they don't have. Have seen dealers lead people on (Hold Hostage) about this, "yeah its coming in 2 weeks, 2 weeks later something happened and its gonna be another 3 weeks to get the one you want". They have nothing to lose and your at their mercy once they have your money and are on the hook, the bike never comes in, you are fed up and back out and they try and screw you on the deposit. Make sure you can back out at anytime or they might have you by the short hairs.

Old 04-18-2016 | 01:44 PM
Drodrigueznyc
|
Tourer

thanks. what about fees? what should I expect other than price plus taxes?

I want to make sure they aren't jerking me around on BS fees. What is reasonable?

Title, Prep, dealer installed options, license, registration, whatever. are these legit? can I fight off most of them? I am transferring the plates from my trade-in. and am only installing exhaust, security system and air cleaner. nothing else. what fees should I expect? ball park...

Old 04-18-2016 | 03:41 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

DMV fees, taxes, freight, plus whatever you have them put on the bike.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-18-2016 | 03:41 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

These threads kill me!!!

It's really not that hard man, reach down grab your **** and tell them what you want to pay and if they say that's crazy simply walkout, its not like you can't go down the road to another dealer, or there is something called the INTERNET and since your here I'm assuming you know how to use it? After reading these threads it makes me want to go sell bikes on the weekend easy pickens...ALL THEY CAN SAY IS NO!!!!

Old 04-18-2016 | 09:26 PM
NH Marcus
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hey Man

Trust me, if they think you really want to buy they'll want to make a deal especially at the end of the month. Every new bike they don't sell by end of year is one less they get to sell next year. And if they try to play hard ball get up and walk. There are plenty of other dealers out there.

Ummm.... Huh?

Old 04-19-2016 | 08:30 AM
Drodrigueznyc
|
Tourer

guys, i'm not new to bikes or negotiations.. i can handle my own.. i'm just trying to calculate the actual numbers on what is reasonably expected.. i know there will be taxes, title, prep fees, destination charges, installation, etc. question is what have you paid for those extra fees outside of regular taxes? Is destination $500 bucks or is it $100? is prep and delivery another $500? Should I expect another $1000 or $2000 in fees? Did you guys pay a lot for installation on items like exhaust and air cleaner, or did they waive the installation charge?

I need to know if I am being jerked around by them. The unknowns is what I am trying to figure out. Not the common sense stuff which has already passed.

We all know that if you negotiate hard on purchase price, they will try to make it up somewhere else. That's usually on trade-in or some extra BS fees.. I know my trade-in, I know my purchase price. I don't know the extras fess that may put the savings back in their pockets. Would be nice to get an idea on numbers that's all.

Thanks again guys. It's been truly appreciated.

Old 04-19-2016 | 09:53 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NH Marcus
Ummm.... Huh?

That's right. If they can't sell out their inventory of new bikes their allotment for the next year can get cut. An indy shop buddy of mine used to buy up half a dozen bikes a year from dealers that couldn't move them. They'd sell them at or slightly below dealer cost just to clear them from the inventory. Of course that stuff is supposed to be hush-hush so don't let the word get out .

Quick Reply: help w/negotiations?