Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help w/negotiations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016 | 06:21 AM
rgrmike14
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
Thanks. Definitely planning on keeping the trade-in a secret.. but what have you guys seen in terms of best reasonable deal before options? can I get $500 off MSRP and then move onto options negotiations? can I deduct 20% off retail on options like Security, Aftermarket exhaust and air filter? just trying to get an idea on percentage savings from MSRP.

I have BMW down to a science. I know their invoice numbers and always work from there. I have no info on HD.
If I were purchasing another new Harley I'd be pretty happy if I got out the door with a stage 1 with exhaust installed and a Dyno run for MSRP. You arguably have to do it anyways so you might as well add 2K to the cost of the bike. EVERYONE says they run to lean, to hot, etc etc so it's more or less a must IMHO.

Old 04-17-2016 | 07:12 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Dealerships hate me!
Don't fill out any forms until you had your say and screw asking price.
Do your math and state it firm. Especially if you're trading. < it's like cash.
Subtract that from what you're willing to pay. Negotiate payments. Once they agree, then ask if they'll discount on parts. Discount. They ain't giving you **** for free, so discount is your best bet. And like I said earlier, do your match. Check on line pricing and then beat them down 19%
And lastly and above all, demand lowest possible interest rate. 3% is acceptable right now.

Last edited by splattttttt; 04-17-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2016 | 07:18 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default OK - I'll bite!

I'm looking to purchase a new BO this weekend.
OK - I'll bite! What's a BO?

Old 04-17-2016 | 10:05 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I bought 12/29/14 and was $3000 under msrp. Had to go to 2 dealers to get the price, but that wasn't a problem. 1st salesmanger accused me of trying to steal the bike. LOL.
Salesman was like wtf we were only $500 apart and he let me walk. Stand firm!

Old 04-17-2016 | 10:20 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

A lot depends on the area too. I think there are 6 or 7 dealers within an hour & a half ride from me. And they know it.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-17-2016 | 10:24 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm looking to purchase a new BO this weekend. will be trading in another cruiser but aside from that deal, is HD negotiable in their purchase price? has anyone really beat them down on price and options or are we expected to pay MSRP? (I don't think I have paid MSRP for any vehicle in my entire life)

I know everything in life is negotiable but really, how flexible are these guys? What type of discount (below MSRP) can I push hard for? what is reasonable?

Will I be able to get a new 2016 BO for under MSRP, before options like exhaust, alarm, and air filter? what about those options, can I negotiate those prices as well?

obviously this is my first time purchasing a new Harley. My sportster was purchased used locally.

I welcome all comments.. thanks!
If you're a 1/2 way intelligent person then you'll figure it out.

Old 04-17-2016 | 10:28 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Buy with your head, not with your heart. Walk in the door with a bottom dollar amount of trade equity you're willing to accept for your bike and a top dollar amount of cash or credit you're willing to add to the total O.T.D. price for the bike you want the way you want it and don't back down. Any money you save under that is gravy you can spread on discounted extras above and beyond.

Trust me, if they think you really want to buy they'll want to make a deal especially at the end of the month. Every new bike they don't sell by end of year is one less they get to sell next year. And if they try to play hard ball get up and walk. There are plenty of other dealers out there.

Last edited by Hey Man; 04-17-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2016 | 10:32 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. Definitely planning on keeping the trade-in a secret.. but what have you guys seen in terms of best reasonable deal before options? can I get $500 off MSRP and then move onto options negotiations? can I deduct 20% off retail on options like Security, Aftermarket exhaust and air filter? just trying to get an idea on percentage savings from MSRP.

I have BMW down to a science. I know their invoice numbers and always work from there. I have no info on HD.
It has been my observation that no two dealers are exactly alike on what they offer a customer, so one way to find out is to go to your local dealer and see what they have to say or shop around and see where you can get the best deal, simple.

Old 04-17-2016 | 11:06 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't seen much willingness to go below MSRP on the latest year model, so I suspect there are some contractual restrictions from Harley. However, I've seen dealers do all kinds of other types of fudging around to get the price down, or reduce the "out the door" price (even if the contract still shows you paying MSRP), like throwing in some mods or an extended warranty, waiving setup and transportation charges, offering a premium price for a trade-in, first service free, some mysterious discount that I've never heard of, etc etc.

Old 04-17-2016 | 11:13 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

FWIW, the longer a bike sits on the showroom floor, the more negotiable the price is. That is why it is good to do some surveillance at a few dealers before deciding to buy. If a bike sits on their floor for a long time, they develop a sense of urgency to move it. I saw a wide glide sit for nearly a year recently. Nothing wron with it and it wasn't an ugly color. It was Morrocco Gold, which looked a lot better in person than it did online.

Also be careful on discounted prices on bikes. Some dealers put an inflated sticker price on bikes that way when you negotiate three thousand off sticker price, all you are really doing is getting it back down to the intended price, but you leave feeling like you really stuck it to them.

Quick Reply: help w/negotiations?