Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a short rear fender & struts on a Deuce with out

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016 | 06:29 PM
Iron lHorse
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Has anyone done a short rear fender & struts on a Deuce with out

With out doing the whole wide tire kit from heartland. I would like to just do a short rear fender the curved struts and use a solo mustang seat . Has any one done this . If so who's stuff did you use , and do you have any picture to post ?

Old 04-05-2016 | 11:12 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I am in the process of doing this right now and bad decisions I made in the past is making it a pain in the butt. I had cut my frame horns off and many companies like heartland and Rsd charge a ton for their struts. If you plan on running the same tire I would buy a blank fender and use your existing frame horns so you can go back to stock later on

Old 04-05-2016 | 11:27 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Depends on the year

Originally Posted by stal94gt
I am in the process of doing this right now and bad decisions I made in the past is making it a pain in the butt. I had cut my frame horns off and many companies like heartland and Rsd charge a ton for their struts. If you plan on running the same tire I would buy a blank fender and use your existing frame horns so you can go back to stock later on

The late model Softail "horns" or rear steel subframe bolt on and off. I'm not sure what year HD made this change.

Old 04-06-2016 | 11:18 AM
stal94gt
Road Master

The change happened in 08 models. Anything before has the horns as part of the frame. I have an 07 with the horns cut off. Replacing the horns is not hard but requires some grinding to get the bolt on horns to fit proper. I think 07 is the last year the deuce was made so it has the frame horns. A little advice would be not to cut the horns and buy a blank fender and mount it to the existing horns.

Old 04-06-2016 | 03:46 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer

the problem with that, is that the frame horns have such a steep angle at the seat the fender blanks wont fit right (if it's a rounder fender)We swapped a slim rear fender on to an 04 Springer, was no chance of that fender working with the stock horns, width was ok..but the horns would stick up higher than the fender at the seat area. Ended up cutting the horns off at a steep angle and buying the slim struts too..add a heli-coil to the rear bolt and it everything bolted on like it came from the factory..the softer radius of the newer struts allows for more fender options.

Old 04-06-2016 | 08:27 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Got ya didn't think about the angle of the horns. I am literally fighting this now. I just mounted the new fatboy inner struts to my bike and they are going to work just fine. I am fitting my fender this weekend to drill and then I have to make a few spacers to get everything centered over my tire.

Old 04-09-2016 | 04:26 PM
Iron lHorse
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Got ya didn't think about the angle of the horns. I am literally fighting this now. I just mounted the new fatboy inner struts to my bike and they are going to work just fine. I am fitting my fender this weekend to drill and then I have to make a few spacers to get everything centered over my tire.
just make sure you post up some pictures of the job when done.