Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt drive is on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016 | 05:14 PM
Daddy454
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Ummm,...both BDL and Primo tell you to remove the oil seal in the stator and reverse it before installing the new inner primary housing. It's the seal shown in the attached photo. If you don't reverse it there's a good chance you'll start leaking oil from the engine into the open primary.
Hmmm....on neither the website,nor the instructions I received, did it mention anything about a stator seal.Maybe not necessary for my model?

The BDL belt changes the primary ratio from the stock 1.35:1 to 1.32:1 - not so much of a change to affect the gear lights (My Primo changed it to 1.55:1, which caused it to not show 1-3, and 4=5th, & 5=6th)

BTW, even with my large change in primary ratio my speedo is dead on.
All I know here is that my 4,5,6 gear indicator lights now do not work.I'm going to run it with my buddies in AZ this week and chk. my speedo.Not verified yet,it just "feels" off.

BDL & Primo have different mounting positions for their covers, but I don't see why you couldn't adapt them. It might involve a bit of drilling & tapping. BDL looks to use a 2-post system for theirs, while Primo uses 4-posts.
Mine is a 2 post mount.I may fab something up later to cover the center,but the cover that comes with it covers the whole front pulley.Not feeling that. All that $$$$ and work to cover it all up?Nahh.

The BDL belt changes the primary ratio from the stock 1.35:1 to 1.32:1 - not so much of a change to affect the gear lights (My Primo changed it to 1.55:1, which caused it to not show 1-3, and 4=5th, & 5=6th)
Re- reading this,this is why I wondered if there was something triggered from my final gearing swap that may be affecting my speedo/gear ind.?
Again,I have not "verified" anything,just feels different.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2016 | 05:44 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Daddy454
This is good to hear about the FP3,I'm wondering if it can resolve both issues I'm having as Dog stated.Nonetheless,a tuner seems to be in my near future.As for what BDL told you about calibrations,all I know is what I'm dealing with now.Bear in mind that I also changed the final drive,which may be some of my issue.I do know they were very helpful when I called with a few ?? On the install even though I didn't buy it directly from them.
As for the guards,I got the polished also,but am running it open for now until I can decide what to use for the guard.Not really a fan of covering the pulleys.Liking the open "hot rod" look.
Harley programmed the ECM to compare RPM and road speed as reported by the VSS, and it uses that data to calculate the gear you are in and 6th light. Some bikes report those pieces of data slightly differently, enough to affect things like the 6th gear indicator, gear display, and cruise control operation if even the slightest change is made to primary ratio.

Your change to the primary drive ratio - even though it is slight - has most likely moved the rpm/road speed relationship just enough to fall outside of the required parameters in the ECM. If you correct the VSS value it will fix the speedometer and mileage reading but may not fix the gear indicator / 6th light issue.

I think (not sure) that the TTS Mastertune tuning product also has a "primary ratio correction" setting in addition to the VSS setting. the primary ratio correction would fix the gear indicator/ 6th light issues.

in short, some guys have slapped on an open primary and not had any issue- others have had an issue. it's a crapshoot whether you will or won't have the problem and changes depending on year, model, ecm software revision.

buy hey who needs a damn gear indicator and 6th light anyway. are we becoming sissy bikers now?

Re- reading this,this is why I wondered if there was something triggered from my final gearing swap that may be affecting my speedo/gear ind.?
Again,I have not "verified" anything,just feels different.
your speedometer and mileage are affected by the change in secondary ratio (drive belt pulleys). the gear indicator and 6th light are affected by the change in primary ratio.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2016 | 09:59 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Hmmm....on neither the website,nor the instructions I received, did it mention anything about a stator seal.Maybe not necessary for my model?
It looks like they've stopped reversing the seal sometime since I bought my belt drive kit (in 2013). At that time I researched both BDL & R-P, and both showed reversing the seal - must be it really didn't do much good. Mine leaked because it was torn when the bike was manufactured so when I went to a dry primary it became noticeable quickly - so I had to tear it back down and put in a new seal.

Mine is a 2 post mount.I may fab something up later to cover the center,but the cover that comes with it covers the whole front pulley.Not feeling that. All that $$$$ and work to cover it all up?Nahh.
I understand your feeling on this. R-P's cover is a full width affair and thick, covering the front & rear sprockets completely.

Attached Thumbnails Belt drive is on!-img_0828.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2019 | 03:56 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member

So I've been wanting to do this for a while,and I finally got it on.BDL Evo-8 2 3/4",with 3Guyz chain drive conversion.Took a few days to get it done due to me being **** about the install to hopefully avoid any problems later.Also did some powdering on the motor plate,and brake rotor.Anyway here she is....

I posted this from my phone because Photobucket is fighting me on the iPad Hopefully its not jacked up.
Looks good!! Quick question what year is your softail and did you have any issue putting back plate on over main shaft?? Thinking I’ll have to press back on or I’ve got wrong bearing installed.

Old 06-04-2019 | 01:10 PM
Daddy454
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scheers44
Looks good!! Quick question what year is your softail and did you have any issue putting back plate on over main shaft?? Thinking I’ll have to press back on or I’ve got wrong bearing installed.
'07 Custom.IIRC,it was a little tight going on.I think I just gave it a little "love".Remember thinking I wouldn't enjoy pulling it if/when the time came.

Old 06-15-2019 | 06:46 PM
EddieBrock
Cruiser

deleted

Last edited by EddieBrock; 06-15-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2019 | 07:25 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Well not really a mod to my bike but a couple pics of my granddaughter helping out w my bike and I just got her a lil battery operated bike for her 2nd bday

Old 06-18-2019 | 10:02 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Awesome!
And it’s a HD!

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019 | 04:15 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

**** wrong thread. I don't see an edit or delete option atleast on my phone. Sorry all

Old 06-18-2019 | 04:34 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for posting bro. There are many here among us who feel that life begins with grandchildren

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (06-18-2019)